Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think you are wrong regarding attendance. KU sells out for EVERY game at Allen Fieldhouse, even exhibition games. MU doesn't sell out every game. It's just a fact. Maybe THIS year they have sold out their conference games since they are playing better, but that has so not been true in the past and you have not sold out non-conference games for sure. And I don't know what the specific numbers are, but every time I have been to a KU football game the stands were packed, even though we haven't had a very good football program. The couple of times I've had a GA ticket I had trouble finding a seat and had to go way up to find one.
I didn't say MU sold out every game and I concede KU has stronger attendance, but you wrote MU only sells out when it plays KU and that is demonstrably false.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You just throw out so much nonsense I can't let it pass. Do you really think simply beating KU makes MU's season in football?

We all know and readily admit KU has dominated in basketball, particularly under Bill Self, but it is simply a nonsensical statement. I don't know which imaginary MU fans are telling you otherwise, but that's ridiculous.
I hear it all the time from MU fans. There is a hardcore MU fan on another board that I post on that continually talks about the Border War competition and how it makes MU's year if they can simply beat KU in that competition.

You may not be that way but I hear it from MU fans all the time in person and on the radio; it's not ridiculous at all.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Go K-State!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Count me in the "no one in my acquaintance would be dumb enough to say they'd rather lose every other game of the season just so long as they can win against kU" camp.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Count me in the "no one in my acquaintance would be dumb enough to say they'd rather lose every other game of the season just so long as they can win against kU" camp.
Yea, I think that is just something people might say in the heat of the rivaly. I know a lot of MU fans and they want more than just a win against KU. Most MU fans don't care about KU unless it's the week they play them from what I can tell. I would think KU fans are the same.

I think it's safe to say that MU is more a football school and KU basketball and attendence backs that up.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:

Do you never listen to 610 and 810? MU callers say crap like that all the time and then when the realignment stuff was going down awhile back an MU beat writer called in and said he was glad the rivalry was ending because MU fans would actually focus on things other than KU losing. He said that is his number one complaint about MU fans is that they want to beat KU and for KU to lose their games more than they want to win at times.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Do you never listen to 610 and 810? MU callers say crap like that all the time and then when the realignment stuff was going down awhile back an MU beat writer called in and said he was glad the rivalry was ending because MU fans would actually focus on things other than KU losing. He said that is his number one complaint about MU fans is that they want to beat KU and for KU to lose their games more than they want to win at times.
Well robb, this is about the only topic you seem all that interested in. You have said yourself that you post and read the college sports boards and listen to the sports talk shows all the time.

So you are a pretty good example of being obsessed with a college sports team. .

I have yet to meet a single person out here that would even consider listing to sports talk radio, let alone all day at work.

I don't even think this area has a decent sports talk show.

When I was in KC, I think that's all people listened too at the office. Let's listen to a bunch of JoCo bias conservative talk and sports stations that are anti kcmo like 980 and 810 AfreakingM. . Who listens to AM radio about that game that Oklahoma and Kstate has coming up in a week??

BTW, does KC still have 96.5 the buzz? That's what I listened to at work. Kind of miss lazlo and the gang. Wasn't a great station, but about the best in KC IMO.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
No I don't listen to talk radio. I did, obviously however, live in a town full of MU fans for many years and most of my closest friends are MU grads.

I wonder how much being on the border between school attendance "zones" makes this situation more visceral -- it's certainly a bigger issue here than any place I ever lived.

I love MU sports -- am heading out to Harpo's in Westport tomorrow night with friends to watch the game. But outside of game days and perhaps Mondays (when the rankings come out) I rarely give them much thought.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
No I don't listen to talk radio. I did, obviously however, live in a town full of MU fans for many years and most of my closest friends are MU grads.

I wonder how much being on the border between school attendance "zones" makes this situation more visceral -- it's certainly a bigger issue here than any place I ever lived.

I love MU sports -- am heading out to Harpo's in Westport tomorrow night with friends to watch the game. But outside of game days and perhaps Mondays (when the rankings come out) I rarely give them much thought.
That's the kind of MU fans I have always been. Liked going to Harpos and watching games, but didn't really care about them unless I was at with people watching them or something.

I am sort of obsessed with the Royals though I guess. I wouldn't listen to talk radio or anything, but would wear a Royals jersey once in a while on weekends when I wasn't going to a game. Taking the entire family to LA to for the Royals opening season series. That's kinda nuts I guess, although that's more a coincidence than anything.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Kindergarten K-State fan refuses to color Jayhawk mascot despite teacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City