Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I never disputed that. I just seriously doubt that majority of the doctors in the metro live there. I just seriously doubt that majority of the doctors in the metro live there. They probably have a few more than normal for the amount of beds there, but no way is it even more than half. I just don’t see it. There are too many hospitals too far from JoCo and plenty of affluent areas on the MO side where they could live.
Well, I will agree to disagree with you. I think the doctors is KC overwhelmingly choose Johnson County. There are some who don't, but I would say well over half do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM

172 posts, read 154,219 times
Did anyone from Johnson County actually reply to the OP to communicate his/her thoughts about Kansas?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Where's MathGuy and his "whoppa whoppa" claims and demands for links, facts, etc. I guess that doesn't apply for people from Kansas...
I never did get the link so why should I help you out when you're too scared to apparently do it yourself?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
And you have defending the poaching and you have pretended that there is no proof of such poaching or that you don't know it happens.

You literally lie about what other people have said and then change the topic when confronted.

Whatever. It's hard to take you seriously, I mean you make fun of kids that get eaten by pigs. That says a lot.

Missouri never gives out incentives. There, you can quote that now since you won't find me saying that anywhere else since I have never remotely said that even though you keep saying I have. It will give you some ammunition to continue defending this Kansas nonsense. You need it.
It's fun watching you come unglued.

All I have to do is post just like you and the place goes into a frenzy.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
Did anyone from Johnson County actually reply to the OP to communicate his/her thoughts about Kansas?
Try page 1?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Most of this was directed at kcmo, and it looks like he has it under control. So I'll just say that perhaps there was another beneficiary to the Branson incentives you won't recognize: THE RETIREES.
Please comment on your pledge to stop bashing JOCO and the post by KCMO right after it which was hillarious.

I wouldn't even be in this forum if it weren't for the constant attacks.

Now it would appear that you guys just start the bash threads in the MO forum.

I guess it's time to turn up the heat until someone reins this garbage in.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, I will agree to disagree with you. I think the doctors is KC overwhelmingly choose Johnson County. There are some who don't, but I would say well over half do.
I'd think doctors without kids would favor the plaza area. I have a friend or two like that. That way they don't have to pay for private schools....for obvious reasons.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 AM

14,181 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
^^^^ Well, people have been fleeing to Kansas from Missouri since before the Civil War. Slaves ran from Missouri, a slave state, to Kansas, a free state. Now businesses flee Missouri for Kansas. Nothing new here.
Kansas became a state the year the Civil War began: 1861.

Before that was the dress rehearsal known as "Bleeding Kansas." That was the fight to keep Kansas from becoming an additional outpost for "the slave power" - the reason slavery supporters overturned the Missouri Compromise with the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.

But as for what the slaves did? Well, I don't know whether it's the African side of the family or the Scots-Irish one they were talking about - I strongly suspect it was the latter - but my Grandma Smith and my Dad's older brother, Cole(ridge Jr.), made it a point to tell me that there were Smiths living in Missouri since the state was a territory. (And Grandma Smith herself made her way up to Kansas City from east Texas in the late 19th century.)

It's my mother's side of the family, the Davises, that has the Kansas roots. She was born in Omaha and grew up in Horton. I wasn't told much about the African side of the Davis family (well, given the records the slavers kept, it's actually rather difficult for most African-Americans to trace their roots back to Africa), but I do know that some Davis ancestors came to America from the Caribbean and that (as with the Smiths) there's at least one Indian tribe in the background.

As for businesses "fleeing" to Kansas, one of the things that prompted me to start this thread to begin with was an interest in seeing how residents of the most affluent and second-most-populous county in the Kansas City area, the one with the "good schools" my Mom said Kansas was known for (along with "bad roads, and Missouri vice versa"), felt about the long-term effects of the bribes the state offered to get them to flee. As I noted above, the form the bribes take I consider particularly damaging: the state takes the taxes the workers pay and puts them in the business owner's pocket. In Kansas City, this is particularly damaging IMO because - in contrast to Branson, where the retirees move in from out of state and start paying other taxes as well - many of those "new" Kansas workers will retain their Missouri addresses, thus adding little to no new net tax revenue to the coffers in Topeka, or the Missouri-based workers who opt not to follow their jobs across State Line Road will more than likely be replaced by existing Kansans, not new ones - and that means a net revenue loss for Topeka, as the income taxes they had been paying get redirected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I don't think black people flee to JO County today, let alone in 1940. I'm pretty sure JOCOUNTY kept blacks out which is why they migrated to raytown, Southland, grand view and now Lee's summit. I have a racially mixed family and moving to the burbs meant Lee's summit. No way would they move to jo county. They don't like it there. These are affluent people. Explain that.
Maybe not Johnson County as much as Jesse Clyde Nichols, who began the practice with the "1000 Acres Restricted" on the Missouri side known as the Country Club District. As I believe he also had a hand in the shaping of Mission Hills and Fairway, I'm sure property owners there can find covenants in their deeds as well prohibiting sale of their property to blacks and Jews. (The inclusion of Jews in the covenants helps explain the common phenomenon in many US cities of heavily Jewish neighborhoods like the one where my parents bought the home where where I was born in 1954 becoming heavily black.)

The Supreme Court said it would no longer enforce those covenants in 1948, right around the time Nichols began developing his answer to Levittown, Prairie Village. And I suspect that as in all the Levittowns save the one in New Jersey, where strong state laws banned racial discrimination in the sale of housing beginning in the early 1950s, blacks were not allowed to purchase homes in PV either by the developer.

FWIW, when I last visited in 2014, one of my cousins, as we were discussing the state of things around the area, used a third word in between "Johnson" and "County" to describe it. It begins with F. He was referring to what he perceived as the attitudes of the residents. As about 50 percent of my high school classmates lived in ZIP codes beginning with 662, I don't quite go that far, but I must admit to chuckling at that description, as it did capture some of that "we're in this region but not of it" attitude some complain about. Is this perception an exaggeration? Well, what do you Kansans say?

Quote:
You forgot:

Centerpoint (one of largest in metro)
Children's Mercy East (if you are including the OP location)
Truman Medical Lakewood
St Mary's Blue Springs
KC VA Hospital

There are 2800 beds in KS side hospitals
There are 4300 beds in MO side hospitals

This is from the KC Business journal.
(emphasis added)

Did the government close Wadsworth VA Hospital in Leavenworth? If not, add it too.

My mother spent most of her nursing career with the Veterans Administration, and about two-thirds of that career with the KC VA Hospital. (Other postings included Brentwood [LA], Omaha and St. Louis.) The one non-VA item on her resume was a stint as nursing services director for the Kansas Regional Medical Program. We remained resident in Missouri, at the same home my parents bought in 1954, until I left for college in 1976.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Google search:
100,000 KU alumni in KC area
30,000 MU alumni in KC area
I can see this since KU and Lawrence are part of KC.
I went to umkc.
(emphasis added)

Technically, they're not, and KU is the reason why: it employs the lion's share of Douglas County residents. Because of this, not enough Douglas Countians commute to jobs within the Kansas City MSA for the Census Bureau to add it to that MSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
I did get a comment from someone who has lurked on this thread that was in line with what I was hoping to get from others. kcmo responded with a promise to supply the background information he referenced earlier. I've yet to hear from luzianne. Didn't contact Mathguy because he indicated early on he didn't want to be quoted. Others who I haven't contacted who would nonetheless like to add their voices to the pool of potential quote sources are invited to PM me in line with the invitation in the original post.

I'm also going to speak to a professor at KU my McClatchy Washington Bureau friend recommended to me and to one of those rare creatures, a Johnson County Democrat I know - he moved from Philadelphia to JoCo because of work (at KU) and lives in Olathe.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's table the branson tax haven thing too, but ask yourself who made out in that move? I'd say developers and landowners in that area were the ones that wound up enriched by the tax incentives albeit indirectly. I do agree with your point that there is a line where incentives of any kind make no sense, it depends how egregious the benefit it so again I agree with you there.
You said that developers and landowners were the beneficiaries, and I was just pointing out that the retirees themselves benefited as well. Unlike with business poaching, where the 1000s of employees who have to move aren't getting anything out of the deal.

I'm done with this.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Well, keep saying it, but you are still wrong. There are 2 times as many doctors living in Missouri in the KC metro as in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City