Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It occurs to me how scary it's going to be to arrive at that point in just over 90 days - JUST OVER 90 DAYS!!!! - when it's time to make final preparations, pin down the moving date, start working toward Brad turning in notice at both of his his jobs, etc.

And some time between now and then, we still have to tell his mother! She's known for a long time that it's coming. We just haven't told her yet that the time is only 4 months away, and that we're not waiting to sell the house. She's going to freak!

My sister wants to throw us a bon voyage party. I think it would be too sad that way. We've all agreed that the morning we pull out with the truck loaded, no-one will be there to send us off. We know there will be crying and some sadness to leave behind family, friends and the place where our family began - where our lives together began, here in this house - but we're more than ready to close this chapter and begin a new one!

We're more fortunate than most people who make such a cross country move. We already have wonderful friends waiting to greet us! With the offers we've had from some of you folks to come help unload, I'm guessing there will be people standing in the driveway, and we'll have no earthly clue who you are - until we begin to talk! Meeting you all in person will be so special for me. This online romance has gone on long enough!! Fair warning - I'm a hugger! Hope no-one is afraid of physical contact. If so, too bad! And I'm envisioning many cold winter days with us sitting across the table from you, chatting and laughing over the best coffee and pie that we've ever tasted. Oh, and someone has to teach us how to set up a lobster/clam bake on the beach during the summer months! Can't wait!

We already have a house waiting for us that we've fallen in love with through photos. I'm starting to imagine our furniture and things in there, and I'm working out in my mind where things will be placed. I'm seeing my bookshelves full of books again, pretty areas rugs on wood floors - I've never had wood floors!

So, I understand and accept that a period of anxiety and 'what the hell are we doing - are we really ready for this' moments are sure to come at the last minute, but it will all be replaced by bliss and euphoria when we cross that big bridge and are welcomed home!
Now you've gone and done it. Ya made me cry!! I'm just so very happy for you, but also understand how you feel about moving. We were so sick to death of Florida when we left that I couldn't see straight. The kids wanted to leave so bad they were willing to push that moving truck to Tennessee. But as we pulled out of the driveway, I too realized we were leaving behind everything we'd known. Heck, the only place in the world I'd ever lived. He and I met when we worked at the sheriff's office together. We started dating shortly after I left the agency. He moved in with me and we shared our first home together and knitted together our family in that very house we were leaving.

His parents, well into their 70s now were being left behind in Florida with no family for them if there was ever an emergency. All of the friends we had in the agency, people that we counted on to watch our back in time of danger. The beach that I grew up on. I'd never again open a window and hear seagulls or smell that wonderful salt air. Never feel it on my skin.

*sigh* That's rough. Pulling out of the driveway and looking in the rear view mirror for the last time. Oh man, just break my heart all over again thinking of it. But I had to keep reminding myself that we were also leaving behind the past, moving toward a much brighter future together. And now we get to see what the future holds for us. And perhaps, some day, if I'm really really lucky and work really hard, I can feel and smell that salt air and hear the gulls in Maine. And maybe I can get together with everyone for a lobster dinner and a glass of wine........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Default Staying put!

After much thought & consideration, my move to Maine is officially off. My girlfriend is moving back West where we both belong...for now. Many things led to this milestone...

- family & friends are here
- the economy is souring
- lower taxes, more stable real estate market (I can't wait for Mr. Tax & Spend to 'spread some of my wealth around'...)
- there are far more job opps here
- I own a house here, and have a family cabin in the foothills
- Far more recreational opportunities here for me
- She can ramp up her job here & has connections
- She'll be closer to her parents who are in Ft Worth & has friends here
- She misses the sun and access to world-class skiing & cycling

Maine just isn't the place for us to be right now. Maybe someday, though, under better circumstances.

Now the logistical challenge of getting a move organized comes into play. Gonna be a hectic time here over the next few months...

I'd like to thank everybody on this forum for their insights & perspectives - coupled with spending time out in the area, it's really answered just about every question I've had. Much appreciated!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Shuffler, I'm sure you made the right decision for the two of you. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Back at the starting gate again.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
I can't wait for Mr. Tax & Spend to 'spread some of my wealth around'...
I'd made a post with the same general message. As much as we'd love to, for now, we've had to put any plans on hold. We've not put it off forever, but it's definitely been moved to the back burner. I'm very leery of the economy right now.

Vacations there will continue however. We're hoping to be up in the spring. I can get some time off work then. But as for the move.................. yeh. Definitely on hold. *sob*

Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Shuffler, I've been following your story...best wishes to you. My story is sort of the opposite. We moved to Florida this summer with plans to buy a house while the market was down. Well, after the events of September '08, we bit the bullet and moved back to our humble little mortgage-free place in Maine. The thought of taking on a substantial mortgage became very unappealing.

Hopefully the winter heating costs will be lower this year

Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
I wish I could say I was scared of the economy.........maybe.........but in all honesty, I'd rather be smack dab in the middle of Maine where I can feed myself and my family on pennies if it comes to that. We may end up living in Molly's basement worse come to worse. There is unlimited game in the wild and my friends know how to garden, and I'm sure they'll be willing to educate us on the same. I think Maine is a stellar place to be if we need to get back to basics and live on the land. I can't imagine suffering anywhere better!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
El, dont forget the fish and shellfish too!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I wish I could say I was scared of the economy.........maybe.........but in all honesty, I'd rather be smack dab in the middle of Maine where I can feed myself and my family on pennies if it comes to that. We may end up living in Molly's basement worse come to worse. There is unlimited game in the wild and my friends know how to garden, and I'm sure they'll be willing to educate us on the same. I think Maine is a stellar place to be if we need to get back to basics and live on the land. I can't imagine suffering anywhere better!
I couldn't agree more! I hope that it doesn't come to that for you, but IF it does, will you take notes for us please

Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,696 times
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I'm looking to relocate to Maine in a couple of years. I'm scoping out some places but I need to narrow it down a little. My problem is Maine is a big state, so give me some ideas as to where a good place would be to move to. I love the ocean, but I also love the mountains. I like my privacy, but don't want to live in the middle of the boonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine