Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM

215 posts, read 583,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
We are actually interested in places in coos county - do you know anything about them? Places like Colebrook, Stewartstown, etc... We really like the idea of being away from malls, box stores, etc and having a little room to grow our own veggies and flowers and hopefully take some beautiful pictures with which to make our families jealous! We started looking a year ago and for several reasons, coos county just seems like it will be a perfect fit for us. I spent a lot of time on my grandpa's farm in northern Mississippi growing up and just really enjoy the 'simple' lifestyle. Having a bit longer to wait until we can make the move b/c of my hubby's job, we have time to look and check out several areas, but I definitely don't want to be in a "city".... what do y'all think?
I live in Colebrook and would love to have you guys for neighbors. One suggestion though,come up and stay in the winter for an extended visit. Realize it does gets mighty cold up here as compared to the southern parts of the state.I would love to have another fishin' buddy/ hunting buddy.With winter comes snowmobiling and ice fishin'. It is a sportsmans paradise IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM

103 posts, read 317,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Indeed, as I suspected. Typical transplant close-the-door-behind-me, we don't need any more outsiders mentality. Here in Oregon it's all too familiar--virtually all evils in the state are due to the Californians--just ask any transplanted (of which there are many) Oregonian and they'll tell you so. Too funny. Strange I've never heard any friends or family who've been in NH for generations whine about such things.

Anyhow, back to the worst places!
WHAT ??? WTH? Here in Oregon??? Here in Oregon???
Give me a break! First off, I fit in New Hampshire like a round peg fits in a round hole. Have since I set foot here. Can't really say that I am from anywhere but here since I left home at 16 and moved to Washington State, Then Idaho, then joined the military and moved to NH right out of the army.

All I can say though is..."When you find a diamond, you sure don't invite anyone to come and sit on it.

Oregon??? Ha! Does the words "3000 miles away from here" mean anything to you?

This is my New Hampshire...http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/n..._Major_014.jpg
Now if you have anything better than these, go ahead and post them.

Last edited by MFWIC; 08-17-2008 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWIC View Post
How about Whitefield? Whitefield is the perfect northern nh. town if you ask me.
I go there quite a bit for hunting and really wanted to move to there from meredith but there is no work in my background.

But for a perfect retirement or semi retirement I would take a look at it. Good earth up there to, for gardening etc. The only thing I would be concerned about is the snow amount.

A lady there once told me that she thought the kids had built a new snowman, until she discovered her daughter was missing.

But check it out...Google it. Look at it on Google Earth.

OH, IMO. besides whitefield I would stay on the west side of I-93. Wouldn't touch Berlin, Gorham, Conway, areas with a ten foot pole.
This I will agree with you on Whitefield is a cute town! We don't go there as often as we do to Bethlehem, but we do like it!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
This I will agree with you on Whitefield is a cute town! We don't go there as often as we do to Bethlehem, but we do like it!
Yup, Yup. Bethlehem is ok but they have that great big hotel there, don't they?
The Mount Washington Hotel? Maybe I'm wrong. No wait a minute! Thats impossible. Maybe I am incorrect.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
Whats bad for some people may be OK for me. I really dont mean to put NH in a bad light, I just meant to see some downsides to it.
well, I'm not a fan of congested cities. I'd be willing to do my shopping there, but I wouldn't want to live in Nashua or Manchester. Nothing intrinsically wrong with them - just too congested for me to live. Other than that...

How about Deering? It's beautiful, it's remote (certainly doesn't have a problem of Mass-creep!) but..... there is one main drag through town and all the rest of the roads are dirt roads (ok, the intersections are paved, but the rest of the road is dirt) and they go up and down the hills like roller coasters. Scared the p@@ out of me on a couple roads. http://bestsmileys.com/cars/22.gif (broken link) One road the agent wouldn't even drive on it was in such bad condition.

And then, while it's cute that the year round library is on the second floor of the town hall building which also houses the police dept (the older library being a small one-room affair with no plumbing or heat).. we got to thinking about what it would mean living in a town quite that small. There are no convenience stores, no gas station, no bank, no... much of anything at all. Even the schools are in the town next door. Basically for anything at all you have to go to Hillsboro - even if it's because you just used up the last slice of bread or last cup of milk. It's one thing to drive half an hour for most shopping, but it's nice to have at least a mom/pop store or something for an emergency. And that road into Hillsboro has an extremely steep ravine part down and up to the river.. we were a touch concerned in case of bad snow or ice.

We decided it was a bit too remote for our tastes, although it felt very relaxed and it was pretty in a woodsy sort of way. If we ever wanted to buy a vacation place to get away from things, it might be good!

So again: that might be exactly what someone wants! but it's not for us.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
How about Whitefield? Whitefield is the perfect northern nh. town if you ask me.
I go there quite a bit for hunting and really wanted to move to there from meredith but there is no work in my background.

But for a perfect retirement or semi retirement I would take a look at it. Good earth up there to, for gardening etc. The only thing I would be concerned about is the snow amount.

A lady there once told me that she thought the kids had built a new snowman, until she discovered her daughter was missing.

But check it out...Google it. Look at it on Google Earth.

OH, IMO. besides whitefield I would stay on the west side of I-93. Wouldn't touch Berlin, Gorham, Conway, areas with a ten foot pole.
There's a awful lot of nice real estate east of Rt 93. Not quite sure where you've been looking? You really should climb something a little taller than Mt Major To be a N.H. MAN That hill's not even 1800'

Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
We are actually interested in places in coos county - do you know anything about them? Places like Colebrook, Stewartstown, etc... We really like the idea of being away from malls, box stores, etc and having a little room to grow our own veggies and flowers and hopefully take some beautiful pictures with which to make our families jealous! We started looking a year ago and for several reasons, coos county just seems like it will be a perfect fit for us. I spent a lot of time on my grandpa's farm in northern Mississippi growing up and just really enjoy the 'simple' lifestyle. Having a bit longer to wait until we can make the move b/c of my hubby's job, we have time to look and check out several areas, but I definitely don't want to be in a "city".... what do y'all think?
I don't know......it's very, very remote up there. Lot's of people in that area go to Canada for dental work & shopping ! It's nice if that's what you want, but you can get a nice, rural feeling anywhere around Concord, the Lakes Region and most of southwest NH.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Yup, Yup. Bethlehem is ok but they have that great big hotel there, don't they?
The Mount Washington Hotel? Maybe I'm wrong. No wait a minute! Thats impossible. Maybe I am incorrect.
The Mt. Washington Hotel is in Bretton Woods, NH on Rt. 302 Mount Washington Resort Travel Tips How To Get Here

Bethlehem as a golf course on the main street with a big clubhouse that looks like it could be a hotel The last I heard, Bethlehem had a condo complex going in next to the golf course (I think that's where it's going anyway) which may "change" it in the coming years, but for now, it's still pretty nice and has local bands play in the gazebo on Sunday nights during the summer, which is always enjoyable.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
There's a awful lot of nice real estate east of Rt 93. Not quite sure where you've been looking? You really should climb something a little taller than Mt Major To be a N.H. MAN That hill's not even 1800'
Keep LOOKING!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM

120 posts, read 785,842 times
Thanks all! We actually have been looking at Whitefield and Bethlehem as well! We really just have to make a trip out when we have time to go to each of these towns with a 'buyers eye' and compare them with each other and with what we are looking for. I have actually also looked in the lakes region also and at several towns in SW NH, but I'm not sure we want to be that close to MA...?... Honestly, right now, anywhere in NH sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire