Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times

Advertisements

A $180 ticket is just about enough to justify my getting a new radar detector that has the programmable function to memorized stationary cameras. I can eBay off what I have, spend another $180 and be better protected. Still dying to hear about anyone who's fought one of these tickets in court and asked to cross examine the camera who saw him commit the infraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i want to strangle whoever thought it was a good idea to put one at the eastbound 10 7th ave exit

you have have a major exit for central phoenix, the I-10 and the merging point for the I-17 ..... it's a cluster as it is and speed has never been an issue there - now you have people spiking their brakes and driving with more focus on the camera than the traffic around them

it's also real easy tell where these things are in the morning - there is another one on the eastbound 10 where traffic grinds to a halt even though at most people are going 45 as is ............. i think they were funny with this one and put it right after the area where the 10 drops from 65mph to 55mph, which should be a nice revenue grab as they don't really go out of their way to announce the speed change

also on highways such as the 10, if they set it up on the right shoulder, are they going to accurately be able to tag people 4-5 lanes away? - if someone is hauling but in the HOV lane, will the camera "see" through the traffic on the right?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Valley . . . I strongly disagree!

Do you have statistics and/or proof to justify your statement?

Statistics here in Tucson seem to prove you 100% wrong.
I'll answer your question with another question, Bummer. Do you have statistics and/or proof to justify that photo radar indeed reduces the accident rate? I'm referring to stats in the Phoenix metro area, not Tucson. After all, the Valley is where the vast majority of these cameras are being installed. And you know why that is! A large metro area like this is an easy cash cow for the state to collect revenue. It's all about the money, not the safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
They are positioning two on 143, so be careful. BTW, why would they place vans on offramps and onramps? there has never been an accident on the university exit...
Easy money, W1ngzer! These radar cameras are not intended to reduce accidents, or make the freeways safer. I've said this repeatedly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
People here drive too fast. Like each driver thinks he/she is the only one who has to arrive somewhere. I have lived in several big cities, but now I understand why my car insurance doubled when I came here. People here drive like mad on the main roads and side streets as well as the highways. I am tired of being tailgated, when I am driving the speed limit. Why don't the cops pull over the tailgaters, who eventually rear end someone for not maintaining a safe stopping distance?
Have you ever lived, or driven in southern California? The rate of speed is even faster on the freeways than it is here ... even considering how much of that region has more traffic congestion than we do! The problem in the Phoenx metro area is NOT people driving too fast. Arizonans have always been generally fast drivers because the roads are in pretty good shape, our massive sprawl allows for it, and the weather is clear most of the time. We're not like the "other cities" ... mainly because we don't have the snow, the ice, or the fog like many of them do.

The problem is all the transplants who drive slower than the flow of traffic, and constantly whine about how everybody drives too fast here. If it's too fast for you, either get off the freeways, or move somewhere that's slower paced.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'll answer your question with another question, Bummer. Do you have statistics and/or proof to justify that photo radar indeed reduces the accident rate? I'm referring to stats in the Phoenix metro area, not Tucson. After all, the Valley is where the vast majority of these cameras are being installed. And you know why that is! A large metro area like this is an easy cash cow for the state to collect revenue. It's all about the money, not the safety!
First off, never answer a question with a question, Valley.

However, logic and common sense should prevail here . . . if Speed and Red Light Cameras have proven to reduce accidents by upwards to 50% here in Tucson over the last six months, I seriously doubt the results would be any different in Phoenix.

Stick to your first person singular opinion that the cameras are strictly CASH COWS, however, statistics have proven that SPEEDING and RED LIGHT RUNNING are directly related to accidents causing both property damage and bodily injury. I personally do not want to be subjected to either.

THANK YOU!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
First off, never answer a question with a question, Valley.

However, logic and common sense should prevail here . . . if Speed and Red Light Cameras have proven to reduce accidents by upwards to 50% here in Tucson over the last six months, I seriously doubt the results would be any different in Phoenix.

Stick to your first person singular opinion that the cameras are strictly CASH COWS, however, statistics have proven that SPEEDING and RED LIGHT RUNNING are directly related to accidents causing both property damage and bodily injury. I personally do not want to be subjected to either.

THANK YOU!
Please don't lump photo radar SPEED cameras in the same category as red light cameras. They are two completely separate entities ... and just to set the record straight, I'm actually in favor of the concept of red light cameras because there have been too many red light runners who have caused unncecessary & deadly accidents. Running through red lights is dangerous and criminal in iteself ... a completely different scenario than driving 11 miles over the speed limit in good conditions. The difference: you can exceed the ridiculously slow speed limits and still be a safe driver. You cannot run through red lights & be safe when traffic from the other side is heading in your direction.

Also, I have previously posted proof how Governor Napolitano stated she is counting on the photo radar cameras to GENERATE REVENUE for the state's budget deficit:
ABC News: Arizona Budget Banking on Speeders

Quote:
Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano says the deployment of new photo radar or other speed enforcement technology on state highways is all about public safety. But her proposed state budget counts on the anticipated speeding fines to help erase a projected revenue shortfall.

Napolitano is counting on a proposed new photo radar system on state highways _ and the speeding fines that come with it _ to help erase a projected revenue shortfall. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin, file) The proposal, submitted to the Legislature late Friday, anticipates $120 million in revenue the first year, including $90 million in net income after expenses from the statewide effort. Even bigger dollar amounts are expected in future years.
Still don't believe it's a cash cow for the state???

Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 AM

27 posts, read 82,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i want to strangle whoever thought it was a good idea to put one at the eastbound 10 7th ave exit

you have have a major exit for central phoenix, the I-10 and the merging point for the I-17 ..... it's a cluster as it is and speed has never been an issue there - now you have people spiking their brakes and driving with more focus on the camera than the traffic around them

it's also real easy tell where these things are in the morning - there is another one on the eastbound 10 where traffic grinds to a halt even though at most people are going 45 as is ............. i think they were funny with this one and put it right after the area where the 10 drops from 65mph to 55mph, which should be a nice revenue grab as they don't really go out of their way to announce the speed change

also on highways such as the 10, if they set it up on the right shoulder, are they going to accurately be able to tag people 4-5 lanes away? - if someone is hauling but in the HOV lane, will the camera "see" through the traffic on the right?
Fingerlaker I couldn't agree more...you are dead on pal...btw what part of the fingerlakes ae you from?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
You misunderstand why insurance is expensive here. It's because of uninsured illegal aliens and the proximity to Mexico, a major destination for stolen cars. The population density of AZ is a tiny fraction of many other east coast states with cheaper insurance. If it weren't for uninsured drivers here, insurance would be dirt cheap.
Everytime I am on the freeway, there is an accident.
Everytime I am on the freeway, I see the same thing, the ones who come racing down the on ramps and don't even look to see if someone is in the right lane on the freeway. They don't yield.

Now, if I can get over, I do, to let someone on the freeway, but when it is crowded, it's not always an option.

But you see the same thing, the aggressive racing to get on the freeway. No slowing down, they want to get in front of any car coming along, rather than yielding.

Don't get me started on roundabouts. I lived where there were a lot of roundabouts. You yield to those in the roundabout.

And that roundabout at Happy Valley is a joke. Putting a roundabout at the on and off ramps of the highway. Roundabouts are good replacements for street lights and pay for themselves, but that location wasn't a good choice at all.

I believe you about the cars being stolen and I am sure there are statistics to back it, but I bet the amount of accidents and driving habits here play well into the cost of insurance.

People here need to slow down and stop racing around. I see it on side streets where they try to run stop signs.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
You misunderstand why insurance is expensive here. It's because of uninsured illegal aliens and the proximity to Mexico, a major destination for stolen cars. The population density of AZ is a tiny fraction of many other east coast states with cheaper insurance. If it weren't for uninsured drivers here, insurance would be dirt cheap.

Also...how are uninsured drivers getting their registrations, licenses, and plates? I had to show proof of insurance.

Do they make up some kind of card from Acme Hot Motorist Insurance and put their face on it?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Please don't lump photo radar SPEED cameras in the same category as red light cameras. They are two completely separate entities ... and just to set the record straight, I'm actually in favor of the concept of red light cameras because there have been too many red light runners who have caused unncecessary & deadly accidents. Running through red lights is dangerous and criminal in iteself ... a completely different scenario than driving 11 miles over the speed limit in good conditions. The difference: you can exceed the ridiculously slow speed limits and still be a safe driver. You cannot run through red lights & be safe when traffic from the other side is heading in your direction.

Also, I have previously posted proof how Governor Napolitano stated she is counting on the photo radar cameras to GENERATE REVENUE for the state's budget deficit:
ABC News: Arizona Budget Banking on Speeders

Still don't believe it's a cash cow for the state???
I believe it. All speeding tickets fund that "empty" community chest.
But somehow it isn't cutting down on horrible drivers and speeding. What happened to signaling when changing lanes, being courteous, and letting someone in?
I have lived in 3 other big cities, and when the ramps are full and the freeway is loaded, you alternate...each person lets one person on, and so on. I come here, and no one does that. I let someone on, and the guy behind him is trying to cut in, and the guy behind me won't let anyone on. It isn't brain surgery.
I don't get it, because most of the people here are from somewhere else, so do they come here and become motoristically challenged???

Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Easy money, W1ngzer! These radar cameras are not intended to reduce accidents, or make the freeways safer. I've said this repeatedly!

Have you ever lived, or driven in southern California? The rate of speed is even faster on the freeways than it is here ... even considering how much of that region has more traffic congestion than we do! The problem in the Phoenx metro area is NOT people driving too fast. Arizonans have always been generally fast drivers because the roads are in pretty good shape, our massive sprawl allows for it, and the weather is clear most of the time. We're not like the "other cities" ... mainly because we don't have the snow, the ice, or the fog like many of them do.

The problem is all the transplants who drive slower than the flow of traffic, and constantly whine about how everybody drives too fast here. If it's too fast for you, either get off the freeways, or move somewhere that's slower paced.

I don't think anyone is thinking the weather is great, so they can drive faster safely.
It's not just the speed, it's the poor choices on the road that result in crashes and fatalities.
The freeways here are crowded, very much like CA, so it makes sense to drive slower, not faster, in congested traffic.

Who can be in such a hurry, to risk their lives and others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area