Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM

140 posts, read 467,745 times

Advertisements

Man, how many times are you people going to spout the fallacy that speed cameras reduce injuries and accidents. Sorry, there is just as much evidence that cameras INCREASE accidents as reduce them. Corrupt politicians and private companies lying about the stats don't count. Why the heck can't I be against cameras because multiple studies have shown they INCREASE accidents and injuries.

A pair of photo radar vans have been mailing automated citations to vehicle owners in Pinal County, Arizona since August 8, 2007. In just four months, 4500 citations were issued generating significant revenue, especially on the Hunt Highway. In December, a Sheriff's office press release made the astonishing claim that accidents had fallen on this heavily traveled two-lane route by 53 percent as a result of the enforcement effort.

"It's very effective," Pinal County Sheriff's Office Corporal Paul Compton said at the time. "It's slowing people down and ultimately saving lives."

The East Valley Tribune newspaper reported that this claim turned out to be false. Instead of being down 53 percent, accidents increased 16 percent during the period speed cameras were used, as compared to the same period in 2006 without cameras. The Sheriff's office had issued its statement based on preliminary data that failed to account for 55 crashes that were not immediately entered into the accident database.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,298,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
yeah i don't understand who's idea was this? the governor? well come election time, I hope people will remember....I just love the fact that something like this can be done w/o ever being voted on by...well essentially, I guess majority did agree! But I am sure this is a "democrat" thing since most democratic cities seems to have these "cameras"...
Yes, it was Napolitano who approved this, and a lot of it had to do with the fact that the state is facing one of the largest deficits in history ... so this was a shrewd way of making a fast buck. Janet's term as Governor will be over in 2010, which can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned! She has been lax on important matters like illegal immigration ... but at the same time, she's all in favor of this new robotic police force without any vote from the public!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - it was debated at the legislature - and there was a lot of public input - pro and con.

The Legislature passed a bill giving the authority for the cameras.

It would be impossible to put every little thing on the ballot for the public to vote on - That is why we have a representative form of government
Yeah, it's impossible to put REAL issues on the ballot that affect all of us in some way (such as photo radar) ... but it's always the case that we get to vote on ridiculous personal/private issues like Prop 102, which is really none of anybody's business. Or Prop. 105, which if passed, will silence the voting majority. However, photo radar can't be voted on by the public because it's a cash cow for the state bureaucrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
For all of you "Anti-Camera Drivers" . . . I sincerely hope you are never subjected to a major personal injury or worse accident caused by a "first person singular" speeding or red light running driver.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
For you pro camera, big government police state advocates: I hope you are never subjected to a major accident caused by people distracted by a flash, or by those paying more attention to their speedometers trying to avoid a mail citation than the road they're driving on. Perhaps if & when you receive a speeding ticket by a malfunctioning camera, and have to take time to fight it in the legal system, your opinions will change.

That will be YOUR $185 worth!
()

Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,363,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

For you pro camera, big government police state advocates: I hope you are never subjected to a major accident caused by people distracted by a flash,
I was riding my bike on 51 the other night, northbound and was very startled when I saw the flashes in two spots on the southbound lanes.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM

8,348 posts, read 13,496,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I was riding my bike on 51 the other night, northbound and was very startled when I saw the flashes in two spots on the southbound lanes.
Saturday night around 9:30-10pm?
If so, I was there going Southbound and it freaked the crap out of me. I felt like a famous movie star surrounded by crazy paparazzis!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 AM

203 posts, read 811,210 times
what is the trigger speed ?? getting some different info. i read that mesa has a 5mph over trigger

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

bump

slow day??

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
what is the trigger speed ?? getting some different info. i read that mesa has a 5mph over trigger
Well, the new ones being set up will be set to flash at 10mph over or more, so if you are going 9 miles over you are OK but how accurate is your speedometer?

Quote:
You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

lol...jk!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM

thanks for the tip.
the ones in mesa that trigger at 5mph are in school zones. i found that on a mesa web site

Old 11-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
thanks for the tip.
the ones in mesa that trigger at 5mph are in school zones. i found that on a mesa web site
I usually go about 5-10 miles over the posted speed limit pretty much everytime EXCEPT the school zones. At school zone I do NOT exceed the posted speed limit even 1 mph.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-05-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,712,234 times
Quote:
thanks for the tip.
are you serious? haha thats crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area