Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I completely agree, Bummer. However, one of my complaints about photo radar is it WILL NOT pull over these excessive speed demons, detain them, nor seize their vehicles. This is why more HUMAN officers are needed ... not robotized revenue generators for the government!
Very valid point, Valley

However, more cops would have the "anti's" screaming POLICE STATE!

Bottom line . . . we need The Cameras AND The Cops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM

203 posts, read 810,699 times
heres one that happened Friday.
we were entering a school zone posted at 35. and there was a camera van there.
we were going 35 in the right lane closest to the van. as we passed the van a truck passed us, i could see the flash from the van camera and there is no way it got the truck that passed us. when the flash went off the speeding truck was passing my drivers door. i bet we get the ticket?? so i got the plate ## of the truck there were 2 of us who seen this happen.
so if we get a ticket mailed to us i will post here and fight it.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid point, Valley

However, more cops would have the "anti's" screaming POLICE STATE!

Bottom line . . . we need The Cameras AND The Cops!
What you're suggesting about needing both cameras and more cops amounts to nothing less than a police state, and I simply don't want to turn Arizona's highways into a police state. Bigger government is not the answer to our problems.

The photo radar cameras are nothing more than a revenue gathering scheme by the municipalities and the state. Their presence has absolutely NOTHING to do with promoting safety. In fact, if the rumors are true that they slow people down, how safe is that really? Slower doesn't always mean safer. I've had a few near misses by inattentive slowpokes who pulled out in front of me, or attempted to get into the exit lane at the last second because they almost missed their exits. Slower speeds generally result in longer commute times and more stress for the average driver. Besides, speed isn't the primary cause of most accidents. Inattentiveness is.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Don't tempt me you mischievous ex-highway patrolman, u know I might do it!
Yea, I guess you might....

NEVER MIND!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,830 times
Default Reveal the driver....

I just got a photo radar ticket today, but it's not me! The driver is shown, clearly its not me, the registered owner. The ticket says i should reveal whom the driver is...do i have to? Can I simply prove it's not me and thats it? Must I say whom is driving? Is that really my job?

Thanks So much in Advance,
Susan

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM

25 posts, read 105,831 times
Looks like there's hope .... Scottsdale is dismissing 589 photo radar tickets.

589 speeding tickets dismissed over faulty equipment (broken link)

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
The impact of the dismissals on city and ATS revenues was not immediately available. Scottsdale City Court fines for going more than 9 mph over the speed limit range from $165 to $210 per citation. ATS receives $22.50 for every speeding citation that results in a violator pleading or being found responsible or attending defensive-driving school.
This does explain why the sensors would be too eager to snap! I wonder if they are all snapping when the driver exceeds 9mph over the speed limit as they claim or is it more like 5-7mph? Who would know or check to see if it is that precise? Both parties are benefiting from each ticket, so I seriously doubt its accuracy.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Looks like there's hope .... Scottsdale is dismissing 589 photo radar tickets.

589 speeding tickets dismissed over faulty equipment (broken link)
Do the supporters of these robotic cams need any further proof that this whole thing is a boondoggle?! This is all the more reason to scrap these mindless machines and put human officers on traffic patrol instead. If a police officer's radar gun malfunctioned, he/she usually has enough sense to base the speed on TIMING ... something the cameras don't have the capability of doing.

Cops are put on traffic patrol to cite the fastest of the fast, and/or the most dangerous on the roads. The placement of cameras all over the streets & freeways amounts to nothing less than an electronic police state, in which EVERYBODY (even the safe drivers) can be cited simply for driving fast in good conditions. Face it folks: the good weather & road conditions most of the time ALLOWS us to drive fast. These robotic cameras don't have the intelligence of weeding out the worst drivers like police officers do. Photo radar is designed to make money for the government ... not to promote safety!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,859 times
Anyone heard this story yet?

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Anyone heard this story yet?

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."
Yea, I read it. Typical internet BS. The version I got the other day involved a Marine pilot and a CHP officer. Traffic radars cannot display 300 mph. A functioning traffic radar will show "188" when the display function button is pressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area