Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh...I get it now. You're a wimpy little white guy.
Again, with insults. Talk about the issue. I'm not small or wimpy, I'm a white male that is usually dressed nice. People take no notice to people like me (in terms of being worried about crime, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
yes because there's never been any crimes committed by non-threatening looking white men...wow it's amazing where the threads will go when the OP doesn't have a point.
When did I suggest such a thing? But people generally do not feel threatened by white men that are well dressed. Where as a big black guy in a white community can't walk around without people thinking he is going to car-jack them.

Regardless, the point of the OP is obvious. Food stamp programs are abused and should be modified so that the people on them can only purchase well priced nutritionally essential food stuffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Talking about welfare reform is not "judgmental hostility". Additionally, I don't understand why people say things "we're gonna pay taxes no matter what". The taxes in the US use to be dramatically lower before the New Deal policies, etc. Now the distribution of wealth has returned to levels seen before the depression so these social programs seem to do nothing to improve the lives of people. Instead, they steal money from tax payers by foce and give it to other groups.
Much of what has been posted in this thread is indeed judgmental hostility, as well as outright lies, such as the poster who bleated that people can buy Mickey D's et al with food stamps.

I wonder what part of the actual U.S. budget goes to pay for food stamps/welfare.

I admit to understanding the frustration that some people feel. When my son was a child, we had a neighbor who lived off of welfare. She approached me once and offered to sell me $40 worth of food stamps for $20. I refused and she seemed surprised that I would turn that down; I told her I would not take food out of her children's mouths.

There is abuse of the system for sure. But I don't think that blanket condemnations of everyone who needs a little help is any part of the answer to this.

Big warehouses type things where people could pick up food might sound like a good idea. I wonder what the costs involved in that would be. Could be that it would cost more than the current program; it would be interesting to know if it would or not.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
I've lived on the east and west coast, if anything people are faster about it on the west coast. Regardless, my point is that people usually have their card out enough to see it.

I never said it was "normal", I'm not concerned with whether its normal or not. I'm concerned with how I want to spend my time while waiting in line. Being amused at what people purchase, how they purchase it etc is how I spend such time. You are free to do something else.

Then you should not be surprised that someone can look at something once and remember what's on it a few days later. But this is apparently what you do, attack people instead of looking at the actual issue.
I can attest to the factuality of that last quote.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,008 times
User id did you notice what the food stamp balance was on the receipt after the pruchase?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Again, with insults. Talk about the issue. I'm not small or wimpy, I'm a white male that is usually dressed nice. People take no notice to people like me (in terms of being worried about crime, etc). .
Your racist remark about big black guys would rather indicate that you are a wimp.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I can attest to the factuality of that last quote.
I don't even recall being on a thread with you so how you attest to that?,,,Oh you're Jerry who sent me a DM apologizing for what you said on another thread, to which I acknowledged and responded to, so why are you even bringing it up?

But user-id, if you feel I'm attacking you because I'm wondering why you feel it necessary to look at other people's credit cards than I guess I'm attacking you.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:

Big warehouses type things where people could pick up food might sound like a good idea.

I asked that question before because I was thinking ot would be more cost effective if they shopped at Sams, Costco, etc because they could get more food for less money. Sadly, after a few pages that thread turned into the same thing as this one - people whining about people on food stamps and making up stories about "people they knew who..."

Quote:
You know I've never understood - and if someone here known please tell me - why they don't accept food stamps in places like Sams or Costco or BJ's. I started shopping at Sams when I first started college because of the savings you get when you buy in bulk and even now I can go to Sam's and buy enough food to last for a month (except dairy stuff) for me and my son for $200, but when I was on food stamps during a brief unemployment I was awarded $268 monthly and I didn't get half as much. I tried shopping at Wal-mart, Publix, Albertsons but I always ended up with less food. I ended up - yes I know this is illegal - selling my foodstamps to my girlfriend. I would take her to the store and buy her about $80 worth of food, she'd give me $50 and then I'd go to Sam's and buy my meat. You would think the govt would want them to shop at wholesale places because it gives them more food and they would be able to lower the amount of assistance people receive
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ll-hungry.html

Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Much of what has been posted in this thread is indeed judgmental hostility, as well as outright lies...
Very few comments have been hostile, including some from you I may add.

Quote:
I wonder what part of the actual U.S. budget goes to pay for food stamps/welfare.
A small fraction, but so what? If you say this about every program nothing changes.

Quote:
But I don't think that blanket condemnations of everyone who needs a little help is any part of the answer to this.
No where in the post did I condemn people that use food stamps.

Quote:
Could be that it would cost more than the current program; it would be interesting to know if it would or not.
I'd imagine it would be cost effective in large metro areas, but not so much in more rural areas. The problem is not so much the cards, but rather that they have few restrictions. I'm not talking about food banks that have the same foods as the grocery stores, rather food banks that supply only essential food stuffs. The poor should not have the luxury of eating like someone with a higher income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
User id did you notice what the food stamp balance was on the receipt after the pruchase?
No, I don't. Just the total of the sale.

Quote:
Your racist remark about big black guys would rather indicate that you are a wimp.
Yawn. What is racist about pointing out that people typically do not feel threatened by well dressed white males where as many people would feel threatened by a big black guy?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:

When did I suggest such a thing? But people generally do not feel threatened by white men that are well dressed. Where as a big black guy in a white community can't walk around without people thinking he is going to car-jack them.

WTF??? Maybe that's what you think when you see a black man but don't speak for the rest of us.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Yawn. What is racist about pointing out that people typically do not feel threatened by well dressed white males where as many people would feel threatened by a big black guy?
You obviously feel threatened by black men, but please stop trying to project that onto everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies