Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm on the "sign Dez" train. Belichick showed his cold blooded attitude by letting McCarron go after one huge mistake. With Hill down for the year, give Dez a shot. He's no different than many other "troubled" players who have come to New England and contributed a lot to this dynasty. Dillon, Harrison, Moss, just to name a few. Dez could be next on the list. I'd love to see the Brady/Bryant possibility on the field.

Good showing for the defense is right. And Brady is just that good.
I'll take him for vet minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
For those who need to chill out today after the loss to the Jaguars….

Since 2001, the Patriots treat the first 4 games of the season as extended preseason (my opinion). The actual preseason is focused on trimming down the roster. The first 4 games of the regular season are to fine tune the roster. Brady uses these games to find his comfort zone, his trusted players. Belichick makes this glaring in my eyes, even though I realize other teams do the same. Going into this game the issues with the Patriots offense were obvious – depleted running back position, no bonafide wide receiver that opposing teams fear, no Edelman, and more. Losing Flowers early in the game did not help.

Jacksonville looked in mid-season form. Bortles played perfectly. I was a little surprised that with Fournette out, the player I thought the Pats would mark as the #1 option to take out of the game (like the Jags did with Gronk), that the defense could not stifle/slow down the passing game.

Historically, since Brady took the helm in 2001, the Patriots have the following records in the 1st four games:
4-0 – 4 times
3-1 – 7 times
2-2 – 5 times
1-3 – 1 time
The Patriots have had some bad losses in the first 4 games of the season – (2017)27-42 Chiefs; (2016)0-16 Bills; (2014)20-33 Dolphins and 14-41 Chiefs; (2010)14-28 Jets; (2008)13-38 Dolphins; (2005)17-41 Chargers; (2003)0-31 Bills; (2001)10-30 Dolphins.

I don’t think anyone expected an undefeated season this year. And with my take on the Pats approach to the first 4 games coupled with the offensive shortcomings at running back and wide receiver we have, I expected a loss early in the season. Losing by 11 points on the road and in the heat to arguably the best defense in the league wasn’t life changing. The Jags were in the AFC Championship game last year, and they are pretty much fielding the same team this year. Some will point the finger at Belichick saying he’s not giving Brady enough weapons, especially this late in his career. I view the team’s history with Brady/Belichick/Kraft, and I say In Bill We Trust.

I truly will not be concerned during this or any future season unless the following happens in the regular season: Go 8-8 or worse, not win the AFC east, miss the playoffs. Those would be the first signs I’d consider concerning based on this 18-year ride. Other than that, On To Detroit.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 09-17-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Seems Josh Gordon may be coming over to the Pats......would be interesting.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Why not? Dillon, Moss...."troubled" players who contributed. Worth a shot. Interesting IF this happens that Gordon over Dez who has been available.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Let's hope Flash can put down the crack pipe long enough to catch a few TD's from Brady.

But seriously, maybe the Pat's organization will be the change of scenery that Josh needs. The Browns were very patient with him and did all they could, but sometimes it's just best to let go.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:19 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Let's hope Flash can put down the crack pipe long enough to catch a few TD's from Brady.

But seriously, maybe the Pat's organization will be the change of scenery that Josh needs. The Browns were very patient with him and did all they could, but sometimes it's just best to let go.
Cleveland is not exactly what one could say is the best run organization in the NFL.

It seems like a low risk move for the Patriots. My only concern is that Gordon for all intents and purposes has not played an NFL season in 4 years. He's missed all of 2015 and 2016 and played less than a third of the 2014 season. A grand total of 10 games the last 4 years. Hopefully the Pats can get a solid season out of him this year. He certainly has the talent.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:35 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Why not? Dillon, Moss...."troubled" players who contributed. Worth a shot. Interesting IF this happens that Gordon over Dez who has been available.
Dez is done...can't separate from a DB to save his life at this point.

Gordon has infinitely more upside than Dez and is really a low risk move.

Honestly not expecting much from him with the revolving door at WR this season wouldn't be surprised if like the last 10 WR's they have signed over the past month he is gone before he ever sees the field.

I was listening to Brady on his weekly Westwood One interview last night and you could tell he is not getting overly excited either. He has seen this same movie too many times already this summer/fall with hyped up cast off WR's getting signed and cut...

Anything we get from Gordon is gravy and if if if he SOMEHOW gets his act together for even this one season we just got one of the top 5 WR talents in the NFL for next to nothing...

Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM

Got a lotta work to do it seems.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Gordon seems to be earning his keep today.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:51 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Giving credit where credit's due to New England. I've said this several times before, and it definitely applies today; As long as Brady and Belichick are on the same team, they are never out of it.

I've said this several times on this team thread, this post is from 2011. And like I said on a different thread this morning--reports of the Patriots demise are fairly exaggerated--again.

In my area they switched the Pats/Dolphins game to the Bengals/Falcons. Last time I checked it was 38-zip Patriots at the start of the 4th quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football