Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
What about me? I'm not gay, so this question is irrelevant.
So only women and gay men (not you) can be trusted to watch your future children?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
No way......not even stay at HER home girlfriend, let alone stay at MY home wife.( I paid for it)
Some couples work out that way, not living together.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Among the couples I know, it's entirely dependent upon who is the higher earner. In the case of my former college roommate, he's been a reference librarian for years. His wife is a software engineer. They just had their second child, and he's recently become the stay-at-home parent. In my case, I'm a teacher, and my partner is a corporate accountant. Doing the math on who's paycheck is better for the household, were it to come down to one paycheck or the other being the sole financial support, is not too tough. That said, I still don't see a world where I wouldn't need to work.
that is logical and what one would expect and the case with one guy at work. The other two couples I work with make roughly the same income and have agreed to having their wife stay home for awhile (one reluctantly). Ive noticed tho that most guys assume their future wife will be the SAHM. They never really even consider themselves to be the one. And good grief, look at Free Beers response.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
No way......not even stay at HER home girlfriend, let alone stay at MY home wife.( I paid for it)

I wouldnt mind a SAH at MY home (I paid for it), but alas I cant find one who understands staying at home doesnt mean just staying there.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldnt mind a SAH at MY home (I paid for it), but alas I cant find one who understands staying at home doesnt mean just staying there.
LOL, I just got a mental image of a person sitting in the corner of their home with the dunce cap on.

Funny thing is, I "stay at home" but I'm rarely at home.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I just don't see how there is a right or wrong answer to this...it's 100% personal preference depending on the couple. I know some women who stay home and love it, others who go to work and they love that. I don't know what my preference would be. I like coming to work everyday and making my own money, but it would be hard to leave my baby for someone else to take care of.

If I had a spouse who respected me and didn't treat me like a free loader or a slave, I'd be open to staying home when my kids were little. I have a friend whose husband doesn't even bother to put his clothes in the hamper, but leaves them all over the floor. He gives her an allowance each month like a teenager...being a SAHM shouldn't make you a slave. You're still doing an important job - raising kids! I have a lot of respect for women who stay home, I don't think it's the cake walk some of you seem to think it is. I also have respect for women who work everyday. It's really whatever works for each person. No judgment here either way!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I thought I did. But I was wrong. If a woman can stay at home full time, with or without kids, she is not a very interesting person. If she is, she will make mischief, which is probably worse.
My mother didn't make mischief. She raised us, she kept the house, she ran the property management, she handled the investments, she made 3 hot meals a day for all of us, and she saved my dad A LOT of money while making his life totally easy. On top of that, she volunteered at the school and played golf and tennis and bridge.

I would LOVE a SAHW...I would also love to be a SAHW.

Will have to work harder at this gold-digging...

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
The "ladies of leisure" thread got me thinking about the breadwinner husbands in the deal where they work to support the entire family and the wife stays home to raise kids and tend to the home.

I didn't grow up in an environment where this was common and grew up thinking both parents were supposed to work and when I was older and heard of the SAHM concept, I thought it was odd; to have one parent work and pay for everything. I've since opened up and better understand but I still wonder sometimes if the husband ever feels some resentment from having to shoulder the full financial burden. I know I'm the breadwinner in the family (as well as the chief financial officer) and I don't care for it. I don't like the pressure of knowing that without my paycheck, we would not have a home.

So for the men, if you earned enough to support an entire family, would you prefer your wife to stay home? What about when the kids are school-aged? Are there any men who would prefer their wives to work and help with finances?

Just curious.
Yes, if I was married I think I'd prefer a stay at home wife.

That said,
a. I can't afford that, and
b. If she wanted to work, I'm fine with it.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Funny enough I just asked my husband if he made a lot more money and we had a baby would he prefer me to stay home and he flat out said no. He feels that in this economy, its safer to have 2 incomes in case someone gets laid off (and we both have been in recent years).

Too funny. I never had a chance!
So after my hubs told me he'd prefer me to work, not only would he not want me to stay home but if I made enough money, he'd prefer to be the one to stay home with the kids!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
I know a guy (couple) that did this. It was good, and it was bad. The good news is.... she home schooled the kids. That was a MAJOR perk!!!! Those girls are now early 20's adults, and that decision paid off well.

The problem is.... while he was working massive over time to pay for all this.... he left ALL THE FAMILY FINANCE RESPONSIBILITIES to the wife. OH BOY.... WHAT A MISTAKE! She ran the family finances into the ground, super major big time! By the time he figured it all out.... well....

they got a divorce, and he will be paying for these mistakes well into his retirement.

Darn shame.... really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships