Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
eucalyptus oil maybe? I just pound ibuprofen. Try sitting on a pillow or two or a cushy comforter folded over a few times. DH really feels more pain when the temps are below 30F.

Are you hydrated? It adds to back pain, discs need fluids to maximize cushion.

To the chiropractor say I !

Maybe a cocktail?
Hydrated ~ When I get heavily into a project I don't eat much and forget to drink at all. I will get more water into me, thanks. I don't take painkillers as I'd easily get addicted. Where do you get eucalyptus oil?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think she will need a restraining order. Once he figures out she has seen beyond the facade, I am betting on a huffy, hasty exit.
Maybe the best strategy is for her to say she's hopelessly broke and needs money.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've read a number of posts advising older people to live in large cities to be near health care facilities but I've learned that rural America is a far better choice as we age. People in cities just don't do these things.
Interesting and possibly true. But you first have to know your neighbors well, and that would be the case only if you lived there a while, not perhaps as a new transplant.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Rural does not work as you age. Go blind, can't drive, you are stuck. Happens to folks everyday.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

... No, thankfully she does not love him. She's only 73 and in great shape, goes to the gym thrice a week and walks a mile every day.

Agreed, this is def abusive behavior. She knows it, that it is not acceptible.
It took me half a century to realize this, but it's okay to be single.

Life is too short to have to put up with any kind of abuse or be involved with people not in your family that have emotional and psychiatric issues. It's not worth it.

I've discovered that among my friends who were married and/or in long term relationships, the idea of being alone is depressing. Personally I think it's better to be in NO relationship than a bad relationship.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:

I've read a number of posts advising older people to live in large cities to be near health care facilities but I've learned that rural America is a far better choice as we age. People in cities just don't do these things.
Not true in my case, and I live in a dense neighborhood in one of the biggest cities in North America.

Exactly three years years ago yesterday I had to go into the hospital for surgery and I was bedridden for a few weeks. I am single and have no family here whatsoever, my neighbors did everything for me: took me to the hospital, visited me in the hospital, picked me up from the hospital, took out my garbage, offered to go food shopping for me (not necessary because the supermarkets here deliver), went on errands for me. In fact I never ever have to take a taxi to the airport because we always offer to do it. You must understand though that I am an outgoing person and very engaged in the local neighborhood. I am a member of a couple of community organizations, so lots of people know me.

On the other hand, you have gorgeous scenery and beautiful visitas, nature, small town charm, fresh air, and zillions of stars to look at in the night ... and I think those are wonderful things.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Interesting and possibly true. But you first have to know your neighbors well, and that would be the case only if you lived there a while, not perhaps as a new transplant.
It wasn't even six years. When I first arrived people went out of their way to welcome me. This is probably partly because almost everyone here is a transplant.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
It wasn't even six years. When I first arrived people went out of their way to welcome me. This is probably partly because almost everyone here is a transplant.
That is rather amazing, imo.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Rural does not work as you age. Go blind, can't drive, you are stuck. Happens to folks everyday.
I don't know about rural areas in other parts of the country, but in New England, where it's not flat, rural is not so easy to access as most roads to "rural" are winding and unpredictable and in winter dangerous.

Most of the rural people I know also live on hard to access pieces of land, up sometimes steep and almost always unpaved dirt or pebble roads. To get to my DIL's mother's house to see my grandkids, this is the case. Not to mention that many rural areas, like hers, have no cell signal so if you have a road emergency you're out of luck unless you can trust someone stopping to assist.

The first time we lived in Missouri, we lived rural from St Louis. I was alone on the "farm" one day (and pregnant) when a tornado came through. I'm here to tell about it, but there were no visible neighbors to run to. We moved into the city after that for a number of practical reasons.

Nonetheless, the rural folks I know here who are aging (some in their 80s) have no plans to move, they are aging in place and probably do have a network of rural friends they've known for ages. To me, however, there's no reason to live rural if you have to depend entirely on other people.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
As long as you have a great network and support system, and obviously - you have been a good neighbor to others, too - living in a rural area can be quite comfortable.

At least, that has been my experience. I had a 40 acre farm in a rural community at one point . . . we all looked out for one another. If I didn't see lights on from the farms across the way, I could call or drive over to make sure things were alright - and they did the same for me.

It can work, but it does depend on the attitudes of all who live there.

You have been blessed but I am sure you are a blessing to others, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement