U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530

Advertisements

Amen to that, Zugor! Wacky here with overnight snow of 2" and it's 30F right now, going to possibly 40F. Then we dip into the twenties for a few days and rebound to the high thirties come the weekend.

After the brutal lows (Feb. average day high was 7F this year, a record) going up to the barn this morning and shoveling off the stone stairway ip to the barn, I had to throw off my hood because it felt so warm. This time of year 30F really is a heat wave.

OT
Mineral oil: Do or don

 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Reputation: 6869
This weather is horrible. Winter storm warning starting around 10 PM, with heavy snow up to 10 inches (are you f'ing kidding me?!) and of course, ice.

I still have not shoveled my front walk and I still have about 5 inches of ice coated snow in my back yard and driveway. I shoveled most of the sidewalk last week (after getting a new shovel, ice breaker, ice melter and a lecture from the clerk on how not to "abuse" my shovel). I may try to get to the last section today.

Last night I was able to successfully walk on the snow without leaving a foot print. My little dog was quite happy because he was able to scoot across the yard without doing that funny "take 2 or 3 steps, then sink". Wash and repeat.

Over the last two weeks, I have had to cancel two of my father's physical therapy appts and my cardiology appt because of ice. Fortunately, I had scheduled my eye appt (follow up for a retinal tear repair) a week later than recommended and managed to drive to that appointment. I have since studied the bus lines, just in case.

NEG - Note: This is unusual weather for central Maryland. We hit our coldest February since temps were first recorded and although I remember one nasty cold ice storm that occurred in March many years ago this is different.

My youngest son mentioned to me that there is a house for sale on his street in Jacksonville Beach. I started looking for it online, but honestly, I'm STILL not ready to call it quits.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Reputation: 11966
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This weather is horrible. Winter storm warning starting around 10 PM, with heavy snow up to 10 inches (are you f'ing kidding me?!) and of course, ice.

I still have not shoveled my front walk and I still have about 5 inches of ice coated snow in my back yard and driveway. I shoveled most of the sidewalk last week (after getting a new shovel, ice breaker, ice melter and a lecture from the clerk on how not to "abuse" my shovel). I may try to get to the last section today.

Last night I was able to successfully walk on the snow without leaving a foot print. My little dog was quite happy because he was able to scoot across the yard without doing that funny "take 2 or 3 steps, then sink". Wash and repeat.

Over the last two weeks, I have had to cancel two of my father's physical therapy appts and my cardiology appt because of ice. Fortunately, I had scheduled my eye appt (follow up for a retinal tear repair) a week later than recommended and managed to drive to that appointment. I have since studied the bus lines, just in case.

NEG - Note: This is unusual weather for central Maryland. We hit our coldest February since temps were first recorded and although I remember one nasty cold ice storm that occurred in March many years ago this is different.

My youngest son mentioned to me that there is a house for sale on his street in Jacksonville Beach. I started looking for it online, but honestly, I'm STILL not ready to call it quits.
Yes it is very unusual and folks are reaching a state of mind similar to yours. Be very careful the next couple of days as the storm coming in tonight is starting to take on a larger profile. Local governments are over their snow removal budgets and may be out of salt after this storm. Some are overall over budget and with the state budget running in the red it isn't a good omen if there is another storm. You have had a winter of consistent small weather daggers and don't need a big one right now.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times
Reputation: 4526
Very strange weather. It is 75 degrees now at my house. Almost too hot.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Very strange weather. It is 75 degrees now at my house. Almost too hot.
Just checked our next 7 days weather forecast. Today we'll have a high of 59 then it goes up 2-3 degrees a day till it hits 77. Spring weather...again. I enjoy the mid 70s a lot because I can open all the windows and doors.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Reputation: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes it is very unusual and folks are reaching a state of mind similar to yours. Be very careful the next couple of days as the storm coming in tonight is starting to take on a larger profile. Local governments are over their snow removal budgets and may be out of salt after this storm. Some are overall over budget and with the state budget running in the red it isn't a good omen if there is another storm. You have had a winter of consistent small weather daggers and don't need a big one right now.
It's currently 40 degrees and is supposed to start raining in about 1 1/2 hours and eventually turn into snow. After speaking with my sister, I'm wondering how many of us are not prepared. My sister did not know the forecast was upped from 3-5 inches to 6-10 with ice. I am getting ready to run out and get some supplies and cash. Maybe some wine. Maybe a gun. jk about the gun.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Reputation: 19463
It was -8 here last night, 10 at present. The predicted high is 25 today, then warming. The last three weeks have been our belated early January weather.

We've still had a really mild winter. We're not like those New England and New York people. They're tough and they can take it no matter how cold and snowy it is.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Reputation: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Just checked our next 7 days weather forecast. Today we'll have a high of 59 then it goes up 2-3 degrees a day till it hits 77. Spring weather...again. I enjoy the mid 70s a lot because I can open all the windows and doors.
I'm happy for you. Really. I can't think of anyone who deserves "open windows and doors" more than you. Enjoy!
 
Old 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Skies aren't totally clear but I can see some blue up there! No rain today but things are still really wet. No flooding! My brother posted a neat pic of Sedona snow on Facebook from yesterday. He has such fantastic views from his house.

I saw the hail on the news this morning. Very strange for SoCal. This weather just gets more and more puzzling.
We had a serious thunderstorm go through yesterday morning.

Today it's fair but (for us) chilly. Due to warm up tomorrow and Friday.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 02:52 PM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Reputation: 11966
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Very strange weather. It is 75 degrees now at my house. Almost too hot.
77 here in the Triangle and sunny. This is what was advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top