Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Lenora, I would be SO disappointed if you stopped posting on C-D. You're a very sharp gal, and you have posted lots of good info here in the Retirement forum. Please reconsider.
Yes, Lenora, please stay with us! This thread is the only consistently supportive thread we have on CD, with no judgments or criticisms, just women supporting women. I often think of going off CD because of the rude, insensitive posters, but this thread I will always come back to. Those of us who want to find this thread will, even if it's not a sticky.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Hahahahaha...nope. My family moved here in 1931 so it's been the 'family seat' for nearly 90 years.

However, if I am lucky enough to live so long I bet I WILL be working! But that's 20 years from now so maybe I'll hit the lottery before then.
I was just joking. But you sound like you have enough energy to be working till 100.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Sueno -

OK, so Arizona is completely off the list for you, understand. I went and found a post of mine from another thread, where someone was asking for mild summers and affordable COL on a very small pension. I suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The Olympic Peninsula in northwest Washington. That area is in a rain shadow and they get significantly less rainfall than other places in Washington.

Places like Discovery Bay, Port Angeles, Port Hadlock, Port Ludlow, Port Townsend, Quilcene, and Sequim. All of them have a lower cost of living than SoCa (At least compared to my part of the desert.)

Washington does not tax retirement income, and since you want to rent ... you wouldn't have to worry about their property taxes there. (Property taxes account for about 30% of Washington’s total state and local taxes.)

Just throwing out suggestions

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Suggestion: Perhaps those of us who find the Thread helpful, could Post each day. For myself, would make the effort
to do this. Have Posted regularly to another Thread on another site and it too, has been going for YEARS !
I agree with Sera...I think there are enough regulars on this thread that if it becomes "un-stickied", a concerted effort can keep it on the first page of the Retirement forum.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, Lenora, please stay with us! This thread is the only consistently supportive thread we have on CD, with no judgments or criticisms, just women supporting women. I often think of going off CD because of the rude, insensitive posters, but this thread I will always come back to. Those of us who want to find this thread will, even if it's not a sticky.
You are both staying right here. I think I can speak for many others in saying that your opinions and offered information is very much appreciated.

I was just outside trimming trees and I couldn't shake that feeling that the season was changing - summer is going too fast. It's hot, but the air is somehow different (fallish).

Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Just wondering how tngirl205 & Sera are doing? You both have had a great loss recently and I hope you are both OK.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
This thread is definitely what I come back to C-D for after getting tired of being bashed, not thanked for posting info in NM forums (how hard is it to rate something positively as a thanks?), or tired of the same questions over and over without them bothering to research if they'd been answered (my grumpy days.) Hopefully not many.

Even if I'm not posting here I like to see everyone's progress and struggles. And I like the sense of humor on here. Gotta keep it these days.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I love giving reps!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I love giving reps!
LOL. Me too except they won't let me keep giving reps to you all.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I don't check the thread every day but usually once every few days. I feel like I know so many of you. When I started reading this thread, I was considering a move back to CA. Then the housing market collapsed and many things in my life changed, and they're still changing. So I may not ever get to go back to my original dream, but who knows where I'll go next? Or maybe nowhere. Regardless, I love reading about everyone else's dreams, goals, situations and struggles. Even though most of us want to eventually go "somewhere" (insert destination of choice), not many have actually made the move, mostly due to the housing market (unable to sell our homes without losing our shirts). But it is sure fun to read about the ones who HAVE! I sure hope this thread remains a sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.