Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 12:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

I specifically wanted to mention the negatives and the positives because life is neither always rough nor smooth. But in the end, as long as one feels it's worth it, that's what matters. I hope it will be that way and I think it will. This chapter is far from finished.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
Suni, I wasn't able to rep you again----but think it's kind and generous and just great that you and your Mom will be together! Good luck to both of you :-)

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
Thank you, ladies, for updating your stories. The successes make me feel so positive. The bumps in the road help me and others learn.
I'll be moving my 93 yr old mom in with me in the next couple weeks. I had offered to stay in my house for the duration of her life so she doesn't have to move twice. But she insists we can start looking for my new place, as long as I take her with me! Although it will be hard to have a roommate for both of us independent women, I'm going to try to treasure the time we have together.
You are one wonderful daughter.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Ten More Reasons to Move to Greater Lafayette | Think Lafayette

Lafayette, Indiana

Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
So you're moving to LaLa Land, lol. When's the big date?

(I may visit someone I know there this fall or next spring.)

Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Those are all entertaining reasons but are there also good amenities as well? How are things like medical facilities, public transportation and senior services? Is it possible to get along without a car?

The reason I am asking is that retirees cannot live on fun things alone although they are certainly nice to have. My cousin would like to move from the Chicago area to a smaller city not too far from Chicago. I wonder if Lafayette would be a good place for him. He would need the features I have mentioned.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Those are all entertaining reasons but are there also good amenities as well? How are things like medical facilities, public transportation and senior services? Is it possible to get along without a car?

The reason I am asking is that retirees cannot live on fun things alone although they are certainly nice to have. My cousin would like to move from the Chicago area to a smaller city not too far from Chicago. I wonder if Lafayette would be a good place for him. He would need the features I have mentioned.
They have a great transportation system - called City Bus. They go everywhere and cheaply for seniors. Here is one link: Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana

City of Lafayette, IN - Home Page

transportation:
CityBus of Lafayette, West Lafayette, Indiana

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
They have a great transportation system - called City Bus. They go everywhere and cheaply for seniors. Here is one link: Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana

City of Lafayette, IN - Home Page

transportation:
CityBus of Lafayette, West Lafayette, Indiana
Thank you for the links. He really needs to get out of the Chicago suburb he is stuck in. He is struggling to make ends meet with costly medical expenses added onto the problem. He really shouldn't be working due to health issues but he cannot afford to retire because of the high COL where he is living now. He suffers from the same rare illness as I do and it's not easy finding doctors who know how to treat it so better than average medical facilities are a must.

Financial setbacks, job layoffs, etc; typical American story, have taken their toll and he needs to go where the COL is more reasonable. And Lafayette isn't too far from Chicago so that would be a good thing because he wouldn't be far from his daughter who lives there.

Any other positives for Seniors in Lafayette would be a plus as well. I will pass this information along to him. I worry about his health and well being.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-10-2014 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Better clarification

Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thank you for the links. He really needs to get out of the Chicago suburb he is stuck in. He is struggling to make ends meet with costly medical expenses added onto the problem. He really shouldn't be working due to health issues but he cannot afford to retire because of the high COL where he is living now. He suffers from the same rare illness as I do and it's not easy finding doctors who know how to treat it so better than average medical facilities are a must.

Financial setbacks, job layoffs, etc; typical American story, have taken their toll and he needs to go where the COL is more reasonable. And Lafayette isn't too far from Chicago so that would be a good thing because he wouldn't be far from his daughter who lives there.

Any other positives for Seniors in Lafayette would be a plus as well. I will pass this information along to him. I worry about his health and well being.
I'm in the same boat, here in the Chicagoland area. Sold my house in the city, and am staying with friends while my filing for SSDI continues..... probably another YEAR, I'm told.... so I have to rely on my friends and TRY to find a cheap apt. to make it through.

After THAT, I'm OUTTA here. IL has taxed us po folk to the point we CAN'T stay near our friends and family. It's sickening.

bullie~

Old 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Minerva, so glad you checked in and let us know how things are going. Good to hear that you feel it has been worth it, that's the important thing. And having the Cleveland Clinic close by has to be a big plus.
I appreciate your honesty in sharing the good parts and the harder parts too...as you said, there are always both, especially in a move of this magnitude. Wishing you all the best in this adventure and I hope you will enjoy exploring your new neighborhood. Please keep us posted! Any thoughts of getting a new kitty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement