Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

.............shivering (wet) Seattle folks silently standing in line (Seattle 'FREEZE") with hands wrapped around their precious coffee cups.
Just out of curiosity, what is the "Seattle freeze?"

Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
Eight years ago I was faced with a desperate economy in Michigan and my business was going downhill fast. I also had gone through a string of major personal losses and was ready for a change of scene. I sold approx. 70% of my personal belongings, bought a single wide trailer in a retirement park in NC (I was the youngest in the park--50) and began working in a Starbucks kiosk.

I have never regretted the move despite the daily struggles. I have now been in my new community for 8 years and have learned much about starting over in a totally strange place with no natural supports. I have also traveled solo to other countries and states on the cheap.

When I ran across this forum, I was pleasantly surprised to find women thinking about making a residential change. Boy, what I could tell you! However, I have learned so much, it would take too long to share.

I am starting a blog and informational website especially for older single women who have little to no retirement savings. It will provide information/inspiration to help them make the best decisions they can, reveal 'potholes' I have fallen in and teach others how to avoid them, best ways to save money, places to consider for a change of residence, what type of residence is the best fit for them, etc.

If you are interested in checking out my site, just email me and I will send you a link.

I have put this website on my favorites list and will try to come back as often as possible to answer any questions anyone may have about facing a 'radical retirement.'

Good luck to everyone!

Tondra
Congrats to you for making a change solo and for hanging in there. I think many of us on this board understand what it means to struggle in different ways, and many of us face a modest retirement due to all kinds of reasons: divorce, the economic meltdown and market tanking, early layoffs, etc. I hope you continue to participate on the board!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

428 posts, read 643,609 times
tondra i'd like to read your blog if it's ready.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM

25 posts, read 31,032 times
Default Thanks xz2y and suz1023

As for my website, it is still under construction. I hope for it to be fully operational within this month. Since I am not a geek, it takes me a while to get the hang of it. When I am happy with its appearance and performance, I will be sure to give a shout out and let everyone know it is ready for viewing.

I am putting City-data.com on my desktop to remind me to keep checking in. I like to have access to a community of women in similar situations.

Now and then I will put in my 2 cents, for what it is worth!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM

25 posts, read 31,032 times
Default Planning to move to NC?

After skimming through this thread, I have noticed many people who have put NC or the Asheville area as a place where they would like to live. I totally agree; it is a beautiful place. However,..........

I feel you should be aware of the differences you will find here. For some people, this would not be a good fit.

Number 1--If you have any form of allergy, DO NOT come here to live.

You might get away with a visit with few to no symptoms, but living here will increase your allergy symptoms. When I moved here, I had some minor allergies (mostly dust), but after a year here I began having allergies year round and I am becoming more sensitive all of the time. I asked my doctor why that was and I was informed that this area is considered a rain forest (huh! never heard that before). With that comes hundreds to thousands of new flora and fauna to be exposed to your nose. The doctor also said that this area has the highest number of respiratory disease. Great!!

I put up with my allergies because I just love the flora and fauna. Too bad my nose doesn't like them. In time, I may need to move for health reasons. But for now, I am enjoying my mountain view.

Number 2--Not as inexpensive to live here as you may think.

Buying or renting in Asheville is pricey, if you want a decent area. If you are not opposed to living in a smaller town outside of Asheville, prices may be lower. I chose to purchase a single wide trailer in a retirement community as it was the least expensive form of housing I could own. If you are willing to live a more modest lifestyle, it can be done here. Property taxes are cheap, but real estate is not. There is also less zoning ordinances in the outlying areas, so you will often find a run down trailer/house neighboring a huge estate.

If I can help anyone else, just let me know.

Good hunting!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Ocean + sun all the time + 4 seasons just doesn't exist, not even in California. You could get ocean + sun, Ocean + 4 seasons but not all 3, at least no place I am aware of. If you find such a place, please let me know!

I was referring to somewhere that has little or no sun for months on end. Looking for a place that more sunny days than overcast days. CO fits the bill there so I may have to set up camp there and travel to other places.

Last edited by Umbria; 02-06-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I say go where the heart did when you were younger, there is a connection there and a history of some kind. It is not as scary as going somewhere totally new, especially if alone. Since you are already landlocked, living in CO wouldn't seem to be a terrain shock. And you know the culture there so it would most likely be easy to make friends. I've never been to CO but would probably check out Fort Collins, seems like my kind of place, though I bet it's pricey.

For me, ocean is fine for visiting. I experienced several wild hurricanes during Cape Cod summers when growing up, plus there's something about living near the sea (for me) that seems lonely and disconnected in winter (I'm talking about North, don't know about South and West). It's a very different feel from living in the Midwest and you may or may not adjust.

You could always take the plunge and put your home up for sale and see where the universe directs you under pressure to move. I usually work better under pressure as I am prone to dilly dally about everything.

I hate to say it, but I have always operated better while under extreme pressure also, but , this is a very unhealthy way to live life. A totally dilly dally approach may be healthier but very ineffective.
My entire working life was extreme pressure and it's like a drug of sorts (adrenaline). I do want to drive out to NC and have a look around and see for myself. BTW - Ft Collins isn't pricey at all. Prices have gone up, but not nearly as much as the Denver areas I would consider. The Stapleton area I was considering has a lot of famiies with young kids and as a result, more schools = high taxes. The RE taxes aren't much less than what I pay for here. So, even though I like the general concept, I may have to ditch that idea.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the "Seattle freeze?"
It's the thread on C-D about how UNFRIENDLY Seattle people are, and how hard it is to make friends there.
(great example is how a Seattle person moved to Colorado, and was so offended that his CO neighbors would come talk to him when he arrive home from work, that he installed a HIGH SPEED garage door opener, so he could get inside and close the door before the neighbor's arrived to greet him.)

Looks like the HUGE Seattle Freeze thread got 'removed' from "Seattle Forum" (censored... VERY popular in 'forums from areas known for 'diversity", like Oregon... ANY comments / dislike of OR is quickly censored.), but here are a few 'sub-threads remaining'
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ties-like.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ure-shock.html

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
I just came back to city data and this group, remembering how much it added to my life. Im in a very bad placein life right now, and it feels good to come back to this group, whether anyone remembers, or whether you,re a whole new group of ladies!
Anomoly

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I just came back to city data and this group, remembering how much it added to my life. Im in a very bad placein life right now, and it feels good to come back to this group, whether anyone remembers, or whether you,re a whole new group of ladies!
Anomoly
Welcome back - I wondered what happened to you. Where are you living now? Take care of yourself (that's an order)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.