Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm still searching for a new retirement destination. I surely don't want to go where the disasters occur especially since I live in the #1 high-risk area.

Where to Live to Avoid a Natural Disaster - Map - NYTimes.com
Looks like you're headed to Nevada or North Dakota!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Nevada... you sure?
N Dakota... hmmm

(just having some fun)

Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
I'm still searching for a new retirement destination. I surely don't want to go where the disasters occur especially since I live in the #1 high-risk area.

Where to Live to Avoid a Natural Disaster - Map - NYTimes.com

Good link, thanks for sharing. I am a little tired of quakes so didn't really want to stay on the west coast as much. They didn't used to bother me, I was in the Bay area for Loma Prieta, but after moving to this adobe condo, I really don't feel safe. We have been looking for a retirement place for a while now and there are so many good points about our country that it really gets down to knowing who you are and what you want out of life. Everyone is different so be true to yourself.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nevada... you sure?
N Dakota... hmmm

(just having some fun)
Just reading the map!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Good link, thanks for sharing. I am a little tired of quakes so didn't really want to stay on the west coast as much. They didn't used to bother me, I was in the Bay area for Loma Prieta, but after moving to this adobe condo, I really don't feel safe. We have been looking for a retirement place for a while now and there are so many good points about our country that it really gets down to knowing who you are and what you want out of life. Everyone is different so be true to yourself.
I'm from California and don't think I want to go back to earthquake country although I think it beats Tornado Alley. By west, I meant at least west of the Rockies or in them, maybe Idaho, Utah, Colorado, or Wyoming.

I was in the 1971 Sylmar quake and it was pretty scary, but these hellacious Texas thunderstorms unnerve the heck out of me.

Yes, we all have to find our special retirement niche while on this Earth. It's kind of exciting doing the search.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
No way on either of them. They just don't interest me.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
No way on either of them. They just don't interest me.
So what does? Where are you headed to avoid disasters?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Yes, we all have to find our special retirement niche while on this Earth. It's kind of exciting doing the search.

I completely agree. I have reached that point where I can choose any place I want to go and spend the last chapter of my life. I'm having fun researching various states and cities.

Like you, I'm staying west of the Rockies (due to humidity) but I'm leaning towards Nevada (not Las Vegas, though. too hot). I like a drier climate but not raging heat like in Arizona. Eastern Washington wouldn't be bad, either.

My main criteria has more to do with taxes. After much research, three states that of particular interest are Washington, Nevada and Wyoming.

Wyoming - just tooooooo cold and way too much snow for me, though.

Nevada - warmer, less snow than Wyoming, lower sales tax and no state income tax

Washington - (staying east to avoid gray skies and lots o' rain) Drier climate, no state income tax. Does have a little higher sales tax than Nevada, though.

Not going to sell my place right now. Would rather rent it out. It's paid for so why not let it make money for me? It's fun to think about the possibilities of what tomorrow will bring. I'm lovin' it!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
Know what you mean about the weather. We moved from CT/NY to get away from the snow, but have to admit that I'd rather deal with the snow than the tornadoes we're getting here in TN. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to live up north or we'd be packing.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Every choice is ultimately a compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.