Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times

Advertisements

I retired to Delray Beach FL from LI - always liked warm weather, and met more than one old northern friend.
I kept my 1 br condo for a couple of years, but it cost more than TWICE to maintain a place that was 1/3 the size of my lovely 2/2 villa down here. So I sold it and my free cash flow is huge.
Couldn't be happier.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
A few days ago, trying to explain to a friend in south Texas why I could never stand living in her climate, I came to realize that she never does outdoor stuff and stays in AC when it's hot. I, OTOH, am outdoors all year, so it's better to find a climate that better suits me.

We went from a high of 90 to a high in the 50's in the blink of an eye at the end of last week. Hard to adjust so fast!
It was funny because hikes were canceled last weekend due to the cold yet when winter gets here we'll go out in the snow at the same temperatures or lower. My mind and body needed more time to adjust--it's suppose to warm up a little this week.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. It's been quiet over here.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
First snow today falling delicately. It sure is pretty. I wonder if this year we will have the usual. Last winter we had not a single snowflake fall, after the October Nor'easter. I guess I really do like New England winter, the first part. By February i'm ready to bail.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstay1929 View Post
Greetings

Looking to move to Arizona and would like to know what are the best areas to live that has a diverse group of people and age. Lived in Vancouver for a year with my daughter to help with her busines, but things have changed and she sold the business and is going to work with her son who is going professional.

I decided to move back towards California but not in California where I retired 2011. I have never lived on my own and single, it has always been raising children and grandchildren. I'm done and what to live on my own and yet when I want to see them I can visit. The majority of my family is in California and she is the only member in Vancouver, Washington. I'm excited and yet concern because I will be 65 this year and medical is important to me (no I'm not sick) to keep upon my physical exams and the medicare supplements is crazy. When I retired as a salary person in 2011, there is no medical coverage for me. I had medical exam and workups before retiring and I'm good to go. But by fall I will need to be exam again.

I want to live in an area of Arizona that is not all retirees like I said before I like a mix of ages. I want to work part-time, live in a safe area should I go out at night and church which will be my biggest interest. Movies, theater plays and etc. I'm alive and want to live the life God has given me. I just want your thoughts of the areas, medical, dental and anyother information I would need.

Thank you
Tempe would work for you. Good mix of ages, once you are out of the immediate area of the University (and you don't have to go far from campus) Diverse population, largely due to the University, and lots of cultural opportunities through ASU, the Tempe Center for the Arts, etc. Lots of classes through the Parks and Rec dept, good public transit, nice variety of churches.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM

27 posts, read 126,485 times
South St Petersburg, Florida. Great orchestra and culture. Great program (close to St Pete Beach) at ASPEC at Eckerd College to interact with professional retired peers as a community, and even, if you want, interact with peers. Google it. Some very interesting, retired, intellectual people at ASPEC. You can come to the program to try it out before putting in an application.

In addition, there is a branch of OLLI at Eckerd. So, opportunity to grow and learn as you age is great here.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
But, at least for me, one has to "feel it" to know. The inner voice that speaks to me, "this is it". This is also the case for anything I am looking for, I "know it when I find it". In my case, I moved to Texas for a bittersweet reason, and I looked at many areas and houses before I found "the one". It was perfect in every way, location, layout, etc. But when I went through a terrible tribulation, I ended up alone in it, and I hated it. I couldn't wait to leave it. I visited my home state for three weeks last fall, and it "felt like home". My few family members and the couple friends that are family to me were here, and I knew I had to come home. It is still taking some getting used to, I am really concerned about living with the Michigan winter again, but I am home! I now have the inner peace I need to move forward.
Well, I am back in Texas again. Michigan did not end up feeling like "home" once the fall weather set in. I remembered what it was like living in the cold, wet, gray, gloomy, depressing fall, and let's not even think of the snow, ice and ugly winter, especially March. I also came to realize that "you can't go home again".Things change, life changes, bad memories remain, I can only pray that my future is much better than my past.

I am one that could not move to an area where I don't know anyone. I have to have someone I know, family or friend, close to me. I give credit to those who can move someplace where they are literally "starting over".

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Michigan Transplant, I can fully understand why you're back in TX. We go over in our minds the life we used to have in the northeast but don't realize that people & places have changed. I'm glad you were able to go back to TX. We will probably stay in TN and just visit the northeast from time to time.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 AM

121 posts, read 292,538 times
It's easy for me, starting over that is because I never really started, ever. I had three best friends where I lived for twenty years. I moved when I retired to a beautiful location that's less expensive then where I was. Two of my life long best friends are moving up here within four miles of me. They visited me and fell in love with the area. My third friend is staying where she's at because she loves her area and can't afford to move, even if she wanted to. I've made one good friend in the year since I've been up here. I look forward to making more friends. I've got great neighbors but all is not perfect. I'm learning to roll with the punches! My neighbor is the bell of the ball and entertaining is her fortes. It seems I may have crossed her somehow and now she's invited everyone, including my one new friend to her Christmas Eve Soiree, everyone except me. I'm not worried, my other two best friends will be spending Christmas Eve with me. I gave my neighbor a great gift today, one with a lot of thought and love. I can play this game too! Keep it simple, love life and don't get caught up in the details. One day, my neighbor and I will be close friends, she just needs the time to explore her conscious. Merry Christmas all you women who think you're alone! None of us are really alone, ever!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

I am one that could not move to an area where I don't know anyone. I have to have someone I know, family or friend, close to me. I give credit to those who can move someplace where they are literally "starting over".
That was a concern for me even though I am a bit of a loner I didn't want to be totally friendless in my new location. I got involved with the local humane society and most of my friends are the members that I met there. They are the kind of friends that you can call at 2 in the morning and say, help, the dog is sick and I need someone to go with me to the emergency vet and they'd be right over.

I think that figuring out what you're passionate about and finding like minded people is a sure fire way to make good friends in any location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement