Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
How many people actually kill themselves in this 'check out' manner and decision when they can no longer take care of themselves?

People in this Forum mention wanting to do it, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.
What, you expect someone to post "I did it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Have to look at the bright side. If one is taking such an action they are alone by definition.

Even a .22 at that close range will kill you outright. OK, but maybe your trembling hand slips and you do "miss" and hence don't get killed instantly.

You are all alone and unconscious. There will be no help. No 911. You will bleed out shortly with no one to help you and be unaware that any of this is happening.

I think the fears of "missing" and ending up in a vegetative state are overblown
The point is that people shouldn't have to resort to doing that. If the only way to kill your sick pet was to blow their brains out, I'm sure people would be reluctant to do that. As I said, provide people with a quick, easy, painless method to commit suicide that they can't mess up and they know for sure is going to work, and more people WILL commit suicide.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I've heard of the helium and plastic bag method. I understand it's pretty quick and painless. Helium tanks are readily available where party supplies are sold. I guess if you are too sick to obtain the helium yourself, you would need to enlist an anonymous friend to assist, but they had better be sure to remove all evidence of their help, and make sure they are far away and have an alibi witness when you do the deed.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've heard of the helium and plastic bag method. I understand it's pretty quick and painless. Helium tanks are readily available where party supplies are sold. I guess if you are too sick to obtain the helium yourself, you would need to enlist an anonymous friend to assist, but they had better be sure to remove all evidence of their help, and make sure they are far away and have an alibi witness when you do the deed.
Once again, would you want to tie a plastic bag around your pet's head and gas it to death? I'm sure that would be considered inhumane.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:35 AM

I'm not talking about my pet, however when our pets are in pain and we can't help them to recover, we do the right thing and give them a quick and painless exit.

I'm talking about somebody doing it to themselves. I understand it's painless, and quick. 2 breaths and you're unconscious, 10 minutes and you are dead. Inhumane is making someone live for indeterminate periods of time in intractable pain when they have no hope of recovery.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Is living alone, taking care of yourself, and making plans for supplemental care that hard for people?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is living alone, taking care of yourself, and making plans for supplemental care that hard for people?
I think the "taking care of yourself" part can be. There are times that the body just will NOT work for you.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm not talking about my pet, however when our pets are in pain and we can't help them to recover, we do the right thing and give them a quick and painless exit.

I'm talking about somebody doing it to themselves. I understand it's painless, and quick. 2 breaths and you're unconscious, 10 minutes and you are dead. Inhumane is making someone live for indeterminate periods of time in intractable pain when they have no hope of recovery.
Right, but I'm just saying that we shouldn't expect people to be open to killing themselves in methods that they wouldn't kill their pets. It doesn't mean that those people wouldn't be open to committing suicide if there were better options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't want to have to rely on anyone else caring for me. If I can't care for myself then I don't want to be alive.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Right, but I'm just saying that we shouldn't expect people to be open to killing themselves in methods that they wouldn't kill their pets. It doesn't mean that those people wouldn't be open to committing suicide if there were better options available.
Until assisted suicide is legal, this might be the easiest, fastest, least messy, and most certain method. Beats the gun or the leap from the 30th floor I imagine. Next best, I suppose, would be overdose of Fentanyl. Hundreds of people dying from that accidentally everyday. I'm not a big suicide advocate or anything. I love life and intend to live every moment to the fullest, until it becomes endless agony, and then it's "hasta la vista, baby".

Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't want to have to rely on anyone else caring for me. If I can't care for myself then I don't want to be alive.[/quote]

I think many people feel that way, whether they have kids or family or not. I don't think it's restricted to "elder orphans" but to the feeling that one does not want to continue if up to a certain degree of losing function. I certainly feel that way, although I do reserve the right to move the goalposts anytime I want.

And people are likely not ODing on Fentynl patches. If they have the patches, it's for existing pain. The ODs are mostly from heroin cut with Fentynl for a bigger bang and is being snorted or injected. I know this from working on a detox service. If one has a prescription for Fentynl patches, likely that person needs to use them as prescribed for pain, and not able to hoard them for suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement