Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
hmmm

let me think

Michael Jordan is a collegiate champion, an olympic champion, 6x NBA champion. he has been scoring champion and defensive player of the year. 10 scoring titles. 5x MVP.

and messi has zero world cup wins. is the world cup not the biggest stage in the sport? or is it the uefa league championships that is bigger than the world cup?

i dont want to embarrass you any further by comparing Jordan's accolades to messi's. Messi disappears in the biggest stage in soccer. EL Apache carlos tevez outplays messi in the world cup. go away

LOL! Is this a serious post? If so, you are showing further ignorance. What does Michael Jordan have to do with Messi anyway? You cannot compare the two for several reasons. Messi dominates at the club level the same way Jordan did. When Jordan played in the Olympics, no other nation had a team that could touch the U.S. In the World Cup, things are much, much different.

An individual player can take over a basketball game even at the highest levels; it happens all the time. Soccer is the ultimate team sport and even the world's greatest player cannot propel a team to a championship. It takes a full on team effort.

Messi played fantastically the last World Cup. Disappeared? Seriously? You think the other poster just embarrassed themselves? I watched every single game Argentina played. Messi created several chances for his teammates only for them to be squandered. I actually can see some of the service he provide in my head now because it isnt something you forget easily. He did well in holding the ball allowing the Argentinian attack to unfold. Messi was not the reason Argentina failed to advance further than they did. His role on the Argentina national team is different than his role at Barca. Club ball is also different from international ball. You cant just look at how many goals Messi has or has not scored and determine his performance.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,303 times
Quote:
hmmm

let me think

Michael Jordan is a collegiate champion, an olympic champion, 6x NBA champion. he has been scoring champion and defensive player of the year. 10 scoring titles. 5x MVP.

and messi has zero world cup wins. is the world cup not the biggest stage in the sport? or is it the uefa league championships that is bigger than the world cup?

i dont want to embarrass you any further by comparing Jordan's accolades to messi's. Messi disappears in the biggest stage in soccer. EL Apache carlos tevez outplays messi in the world cup. go away
Eh number one its called the Uefa Champions League and it is the biggest competition in the world not on an international level. He has won it 3 times. He has broken so many records its unreal. He has become the all time scorer of the greatest football team in history. He has just scored his 61 goal of the season last night. He has won the Fifa Ballon d'Or twice. He is arguably the greatest player of all time which I think he is. Oh and on top of that he is only 24. He has not won the world cup but that does not mean he wont. He is the face of European football which makes him the face of world football. He has won an Olympic gold medal. He has won the Fifa club world cup twice and will win it a few times more I think. Go away.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Here is a perfect example of football passion.

Football: Dramatic Goals, Magic Moments, Special Players - YouTube

I would advise you watch.
Is it wrong I had tears in my eyes at this video lol

Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
yea what do i know about athleticism.

ath·let·ic (th-ltk)
adj.
1. Of or befitting athletics or athletes.
2. Characterized by or involving physical activity or exertion; active: an athletic lifestyle; an athletic child.
3. Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build.

an example that you will either ignore or avoid is Chris Johnson's athletic ability ... which includes his speed (4.24 seconds in the 40 yard dash), a 35 inch vertical, 10'10'' broad jump, and 315 pound bench press.

and he is 5'11, 190, not some 6'8 290 pound mutant. these 'stats' don't exist for messi or other soccer players. why, because soccer is more about skill than athleticism, thus explaining why a man as small as messi can dominate the sport.

Messi is a strong player. You put it like you dont need to run in football whch is a lie. Do you know Wayne Rooney on average covers 11.82km a match. Yeah nothing athletic about that. On top of that he is running with a football at his feet while people are coming at him trying to take the ball.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
My biggest problem with soccer fans is that they get their panties in a wad when someone says they don't like soccer. Do we have threads on the basketball board asking why some people don't like basketball? No, because they don't care if people don't like their sport.

There are ways you can put down aspects of every sport. But most fans just say that's the way it is and we accept it is part of the game. They don't get defensive about it.
Actually, I have seen threads on why people dont like American Football and also threads on why people dont like baseball.

You cannot like soccer fine but dont say you dont like soccer and then post ignorant and false information about why you dont like it. So many people claim they dont like soccer when they dont even give it a shot or have never even watched a professional game. They think it is the cool thing to do. If you arent going to like it or take time to bash it, at least use factual and correct info when doing so. At least show you gave the sport a shot and not just blindly bash it. What would you think if someone said, "I hate pizza because it taste like kiwi." You would tell that person that they obviously have never tried pizza because it doesnt taste like kiwi. That person is just claiming not to like pizza when they havent even tried it.

I use to know a ton of soccer bashers and a lot of them I would buy a ticket to a game and once they went to a game they either turned out to like it or they at the very least developed a new found respect for the game. I actually have two friends who use to bash soccer non-stop. They are both now season ticket holders to SKC and dropped their Chiefs season tickets to do so. Now, I dont know any soccer bashers because they all have developed either become a fan or at least respect the sport because they actually took the time to learn it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Is it wrong I had tears in my eyes at this video lol
Nope it means you share the same love and passion for the game that I do.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

[quote=expect;23812178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post

i actually do watch a lot of soccer...
Clearly you dont.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
LOL! Is this a serious post? If so, you are showing further ignorance. What does Michael Jordan have to do with Messi anyway? You cannot compare the two for several reasons. Messi dominates at the club level the same way Jordan did. When Jordan played in the Olympics, no other nation had a team that could touch the U.S. In the World Cup, things are much, much different.

An individual player can take over a basketball game even at the highest levels; it happens all the time. Soccer is the ultimate team sport and even the world's greatest player cannot propel a team to a championship. It takes a full on team effort.

Messi played fantastically the last World Cup. Disappeared? Seriously? You think the other poster just embarrassed themselves? I watched every single game Argentina played. Messi created several chances for his teammates only for them to be squandered. I actually can see some of the service he provide in my head now because it isnt something you forget easily. He did well in holding the ball allowing the Argentinian attack to unfold. Messi was not the reason Argentina failed to advance further than they did. His role on the Argentina national team is different than his role at Barca. Club ball is also different from international ball. You cant just look at how many goals Messi has or has not scored and determine his performance.

how many goals did messi score in the world cup? isnt that the measure of what makes a great soccer player? isn't that the discussion being had in the 'greatest soccer player ever' thread in this forum?
how many world cup titles does messi have? blame it on what you want, messi scored as many goals in the 2010 world cup as I did. ZERO.

and the world cup being the biggest stage in soccer, the only conclusion to be had is that messi the greatest in the world does nothing. "oh he created opportunities" lol give me abreak.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Messi is a strong player. You put it like you dont need to run in football whch is a lie. Do you know Wayne Rooney on average covers 11.82km a match. Yeah nothing athletic about that. On top of that he is running with a football at his feet while people are coming at him trying to take the ball.
OMG running! running is so hard! so hard in fact that there are kids in high school who are marathon runners. im so amazed by the fact that rooney runs so much. LOL@ messi is strong. where's your proof? all your claims are subjective. messi is strong compared to what, your 16 year old niece? compare messi to athletes of any other sport. even Tiger Woods is built more than messi and he plays golf lol

Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
are u being serious... penalty kicks, a situation that is not even during the actual game play... where all play is stopped and you get a free shot at a gigantic post... with only the goalie to defend

that is better than a contested shot at the last second of the game to win it all when you're down and the clock is racing against you and the entire team is defending your shot... LMAO. sure thing dude.

Are you joking me. Penalties are the most intence thing you can ever do. For one the walk to the penalty spot in a European Cup final to keep or win your team the tournament is horrible. Then the wait to take the penalty is awful. On top of that all the adrenaline is gone from your system unlike if you were attacking the opposition in the last minute of a game. I was in Wembley in Febraury when Liverpool played Cardiff to win the league cup and it was a penalty shoot-out that won it for us and I can tell you I almost had a heart attack watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer