Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's because you are always in the middle of it.
I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I love that you are in the middle of this and I think you should stay in it. It's always fun to have you included in conversations.
Thanks, sweets! Count me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
LFM and Upthere, you are so funny. Und is definitely the perfect name to go with Ove, well that or Betwee. However neither of them looked like an Ove so their names are.........Toby and Simba. They are stinkers but cute as all get out which is a good thing as cuteness actually saved their lives! Last evening they knocked over a very expensive lamp and their cuteness was a lifesaver. Thank goodness only the table was gouged and the lamp survived.

I can relate to that scenario. I have had Wool sitting on my Kindle forever but I keep going onto something else. I did see that there were other Nina books so when I need something when my brain is too drained to choose I have a backup.
I like the names Toby and Simba!

I read Wool and enjoyed it but never moved on to any of the others. Funny how we are like that. I was just looking at all the books on my bookshelves and my Kindle and thinking I'll never read them all unless I quit my job and read a book a day or quit adding to them (ROFL!!!!!!).

Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Thanks, sweets! Count me in.
Welcome! Mwuah! Love you!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:34 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:

Of course it is a compliment.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
For all of us who loved Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout has a new book coming out in January 2016 called My Name is Lucy Barton.

My Name is Lucy Barton: A Novel - Kindle edition by Elizabeth Strout. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I think it sounds fabulous in that Olive Kitteridge way.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Quote:
For all of us who loved Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout has a new book coming out in January 2016 called My Name is Lucy Barton.

My Name is Lucy Barton: A Novel - Kindle edition by Elizabeth Strout. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Yup---should be a nice way to start the new year. I put it on my spreadsheet of TBR---at 5115! The library doesn't even acknowledge that they will be getting it in 4 months from now and my holds queue is restricted (!) because I have too many books on it (just 50!).

Could not finish Afterbirth. Whiny, shrill, angry. Yeah, a C-section is no fun, but enough complaining about it. And I understand that not every woman immediately (and maybe even eventually) loves motherhood, but it seemed like this woman was never going to make her peace with it.

Have started Bennington Girls Are easy. It's about a number of young recent graduates from Bennington making their way into the world. Can't tell if I'll like it yet. Bennington intrigues me. I didn't have the money or the guts to go there, but it did seem like a special place.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
I've finished reading "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman, and gave it five stars. It truly WAS amazing. Not in the "Ove" way, but in a completely different way.

I wasn't enthralled with the fairy tales part, but it could not have been told any other way. It had sad undertones (for me), instead of the comic undertones that "Ove" held. Near the end, I cried.

Dawn alert: there IS a dog and there is a sad ending there, It did leave on an optimistic tone and I am actually hoping for more with these characters. I'd love to learn what Elsa and Harry get up to when Harry is old enough to start correcting Elsa's grammar.

Next up: "Night Train to Lisbon"

Old 08-20-2015, 06:52 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:

That's exciting news! Wish my library had it on the pre-order list (they don't) because by the time I think about it again I'll probably end up as #296 out of 300 holds. Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

I just finished The Turner House by Angela Flourney, about 13 siblings in a black family in Detroit, and their attachment to their family home (I keep reading books about houses.) It was okay but not exactly riveting. T.C. Boyle gave it a thumbs-up and who am I to argue with him?

Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
J M Coetzee's "Waiting for the Barbarians". Fully deserves all the honors and plaudits. A dense read -- short, but not quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books