Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I see that Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee is a kindle special price on amazon today. $2.99.

This is a very worthwhile book. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 PM

I finished And the Mountains Echoed. It's a wonderful book. I loved it.

I have now decided to reread 1984. I read it in high school but that was back in the '60s and I want to give it another go.

I have literally hundreds of books on the kindle waiting to be read and yet I somehow feel the need to reread this one. That happens to me from time to time. I wonder how much my perspective has changed since my teen years. I'll soon find out.

Have a great holiday weekend, y'all.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
See if your library has this book: Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman. I can't get it out of my head, it's so beautiful.
Thanks, Dawn. They had the hard copy, not Kindle. I reserved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have literally hundreds of books on the kindle waiting to be read and yet I somehow feel the need to reread this one. That happens to me from time to time. I wonder how much my perspective has changed since my teen years. I'll soon find out.
K', I know that feeling well, and my experience was that though I thought I was still that 17 year old girl in here, I found she may be in residence but she's now got lots more company talking in her ear. I kept wondering what happened to Dickens when reading "A Tale of Two Cities." I hope your read is better!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I want to read And the Mountains echoed too. I'm typing this on the iPad so forgive the typos.

I am not retreading Wool as I previously reported, but Inferno by Dan Brown. I am not liking it much. I had read his previous thrillers and had found them to be better written than most thrillers but this just isn't doing it for me. I had either read a series of really bad books before reading a Dan Brown book years ago and therefore thought him not a bad writer in comparison to the others, or maybe he wrote better than this at one time. Or maybe I was drinking

I will struggle on for a few more pages but after that I'm going back to Wool, which at least I know I in advance IS well-written. I haven't read a book worth reading in what seems like months. But I have also been extremely busy with spring stuff and I completely redid the guest room, from paint, to bed, to bookshelves and am waiting only for the satellite guy to run a cable there o n Monday. I deserve something chocolate and a really great book.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I always have 2 or 3 going at the same time. One might be frivolous chick lit thing, another might be historical fiction and perhaps a memoir.

Right now I am liking "Tree Tops" A family memoir by Susan Cheever, John Cheever's daughter. This one is about her mother's side of the family. So far I like it alot.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Right now I am liking "Tree Tops" A family memoir by Susan Cheever, John Cheever's daughter. This one is about her mother's side of the family. So far I like it alot.
I read a biography of Cheever and it sparked me to read some of his work, but I cannot recall a thing about it other than being impressed that someone that drank THAT much could write so well. Frankly, his daughter didn't seem to play much significance in his life, either. It's no wonder she writes about her mom's side.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I just finished reading "Locked On" by Tom Clancy. It was better than I expected it to be.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
Just getting into "NOS4A2" by Joe Hill. So far I like it a lot! His writing really reminds of his dad's (Stephen King). Spooky!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Sigh... I love Claire Messud, but I'm disappointed in The Woman Upstairs. I'm not crazy about the story. I'm not even loving how she's telling the story, and I typically enjoy her style. I'm 40% in, I have a great bunch of other books on hand (some of which you've spoken about on here, hence my having them now) but I kinda sorta want to see the Messud book through.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Sigh... I love Claire Messud, but I'm disappointed in The Woman Upstairs. I'm not crazy about the story. I'm not even loving how she's telling the story, and I typically enjoy her style. I'm 40% in, I have a great bunch of other books on hand (some of which you've spoken about on here, hence my having them now) but I kinda sorta want to see the Messud book through.
I understand that the ending is a bit of a twisty, unexpected thing. I came close to downloading it but decided not to and I'm not sure why. I think it's because of Hosseini's book and I needed a breather before reading about the same subject (sorta') matter for a while. So I started a bio of Hitchcock that is remarkedly good. I don't know if I will stick with it but his childhood was great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books