Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2021, 03:13 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But not infallible? Because it surely screwed up when it came to using the English word HELL.
inerrant / infallible...what's the difference?

The Holy Spirit did not err when He inspired the penners of the Bible and the translators of the kjv to use the word hell in such passages as Mark 9:42-48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I scanned through your commentaries, and stand by what I posted. I found much of your writing to be that of rambling, ranting, conjecture (the way you see it), arrogance, judgmental, condemning, legalistic, hypocritical, hellish damnation, condescending, along with your false teaching of the Penal Substitution (or as you called it; a divine exchange - to appease the wrath of a god).

"Any time you point the finger at someone else, chances are you have three fingers pointing back at you."

Perhaps, you are looking in the mirror when you point that finger?
There was nothing about hellish damnation in that commentary except perhaps way down the line when I get to about Romans 11:9-10.

Neither is it condemning to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

Of course, for those who do not believe, this is what the Bible says.

Jhn 3:17, For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18, He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Jhn 3:19, And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Jhn 3:20, For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Jhn 3:21, But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Jhn 3:36, He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
inerrant / infallible...what's the difference?

The Holy Spirit did not err when He inspired the penners of the Bible and the translators of the kjv to use the word hell in such passages as Mark 9:42-48.
You don't use one ENGLISH WORD (HELL) to equate to One HEBREW and three different GREEK WORDS like your OLD KING JAMES VERSION did for starters. In the Old English, HELL merely meant the unseen or imperceptible, that which is covered or concealed (i.e., the grave). Please, try to educate yourself, so you don't come across as being ignorant.

st.
Yeshua and Hell

Old 09-12-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I scanned through your commentaries, and stand by what I posted. I found much of your writing to be that of rambling, ranting, conjecture (the way you see it), arrogance, judgmental, condemning, legalistic, hypocritical, hellish damnation, condescending, along with your false teaching of the Penal Substitution (or as you called it; a divine exchange - to appease the wrath of a god).

"Any time you point the finger at someone else, chances are you have three fingers pointing back at you."

Perhaps, you are looking in the mirror when you point that finger?
Quote:
There was nothing about hellish damnation in that commentary except perhaps way down the line when I get to about Romans 11:9-10.

Neither is it condemning to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

Of course, for those who do not believe, this is what the Bible says.

Jhn 3:17, For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18, He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Jhn 3:19, And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Jhn 3:20, For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Jhn 3:21, But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Jhn 3:36, He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
More of your rote learning, which actually applies to you as far as not coming into the light.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:08 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Quote:
Translating doulos as servant rather than slave is not an aberrant translation from the real meaning of the text.
Yes, it is an erroneous translation. There are other Greek words that refer to hired servants. But doulos only means slave.

Quote:
I do believe that those who are in fact a doulos of Christ, have the freedom to go out from under being a doulos if they so choose. Of course, doing so would be their last free act.
No, a slave does not have that freedom. There scripture literally says, ye are not your own.

Quote:
But God, who is a Spirit (John 4:23-24) is all about freedom (2 Corinthians 3:17).
Again, that freedom is only in Christ. That freedom is precisely because a slave of Jesus Christ does NOT have freedom to depart from his loving Master. If anyone had that freedom, then he's not truly free. He's not dead to sin. But I've become dead to sin by the body of Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I don't really expect you to believe what I just put forth.
Indeed, I don't, as it's so easily disproved. I am not wasting my time with this.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
You don't use one ENGLISH WORD (HELL) to equate to One HEBREW and three different GREEK WORDS like your OLD KING JAMES VERSION did for starters. In the Old English, HELL merely meant the unseen or imperceptible, that which is covered or concealed (i.e., the grave). Please, try to educate yourself, so you don't come across as being ignorant.

st.
Yeshua and Hell

This is what Jesus said about hell.

Mar 9:42, And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
Mar 9:43, And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:44, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45, And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:46, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47, And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Mar 9:48, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Whatever word you use to describe the place in question, it should be clear that it is a place of unquenchable fire.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yes, it is an erroneous translation. There are other Greek words that refer to hired servants. But doulos only means slave.

No, a slave does not have that freedom. There scripture literally says, ye are not your own.

Again, that freedom is only in Christ. That freedom is precisely because a slave of Jesus Christ does NOT have freedom to depart from his loving Master. If anyone had that freedom, then he's not truly free. He's not dead to sin. But I've become dead to sin by the body of Christ.
You are simply mistaken.

if a person does not have the freedom to leave Christ if he were to so choose, he is not truly free.

But of course, if he were to choose to leave Christ, it would be his last free act.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
This is what Jesus said about hell.

Mar 9:42, And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
Mar 9:43, And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:44, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45, And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:46, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47, And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Mar 9:48, Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Whatever word you use to describe the place in question, it should be clear that it is a place of unquenchable fire.
He is the consumable fire that cannot be quenched, until his purpose for all of humanity is complete.
[It] has nothing to do with your false notions of a netherworld of pain and suffering for all eternity.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
He is the consumable fire that cannot be quenched, until his purpose for all of humanity is complete.
[It] has nothing to do with your false notions of a netherworld of pain and suffering for all eternity.
See the following.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

which everlasting punishment is defined by the following.

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now, consider what is written here:

1Ti 6:3, If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4, He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2Ti 2:14, Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 09-12-2021 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
See the following.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

which everlasting punishment is defined by the following.

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now, consider what is written here:

1Ti 6:3, If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4, He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2Ti 2:14, Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
It's not a concern of mine, if you have chosen to remain in ignorance with your perverse disputing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity