Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 07:51 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What works are you doing that are far greater?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps he is parroting the words louder, Jer!
I would suggest leaving the parrots alone, like the sparrows they are harmless

It’s the serpents and wolves that any sheep are to look out for and run away from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 08:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
What works are you doing that are far greater?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post

It’s the serpents and wolves that any sheep are to look out for and run away from
What are the works that would be far greater is the question?

Old 09-10-2021, 08:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Uh. No.
Are you seriously telling me that God has forgiven all of your sins but has not forgiven me of mine?

Old 09-10-2021, 08:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
But he is the annoying spiritual equivalent of a parrot raised by a drunken sailor to cuss everyone out.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
But he is the annoying spiritual equivalent of a parrot raised by a drunken sailor to cuss everyone out.
But every ‘religious’ type thinks the same, and has the same ‘partial’ outlook, and will contend, fight, oppose any that are different in a belief, tradition, etc

We are really not that different from each other, we are susceptible to the same types of ‘infirmity’ thinking we are better than our neighbour because of some natural ‘advantage’

Jas 1:19**Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
Jas 1:20**For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Jas 1:21**Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22**But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23**For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24**For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25**But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jas 1:26**If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27**Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:55 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
But every ‘religious’ type thinks the same, and has the same ‘partial’ outlook, and will contend, fight, oppose any that are different in a belief, tradition, etc

We are really not that different from each other, we are susceptible to the same types of ‘infirmity’ thinking we are better than our neighbour because of some natural ‘advantage’

Jas 1:19**Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
Jas 1:20**For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Jas 1:21**Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22**But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23**For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24**For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25**But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jas 1:26**If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27**Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
You have a gift and insight that makes your chastening both effective and easily accepted. I stand appropriately chastened, Meerkat!

Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You have a gift and insight that makes your chastening both effective and easily accepted. I stand appropriately chastened, Meerkat!
We all learn from each other Mystic

We are not to be teacher/student in relation to each other, we are all children developing alongside each other - it’s about sharing

Old 09-10-2021, 11:23 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Absolutely wrong. Liberty is in Christ, because those in Christ are set free from sin. That's what 2 Cor 3:17 refers to. There's a bit of a contrast here between freedom and slavery. It's best illustrated as Paul said (1 Cor 7:22):

For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.

The KJV does not translate this verse correctly, because "servant" is actually "slave" in Greek - one who is not free, who is owned by another (indeed, the verse doesn't make sense as it's translated because "freeman" and "servant" are not true antonyms, but "freeman" and "slave" are).

Over and over and over again are the people of God called His slaves in the New Testament. Because if anyone is in Christ, that's the reality of his status. Not only does God unconditionally elect particular persons to eternal salvation (Rom 9:11-24), and "draw" (in Greek, it's more like "drag") His people to Christ (John 6:44), once one is in Christ, he is sealed, he is bound. Anyone who is in Christ is a slave of Christ, and is not his own, but bought with a price, and not free to leave his Master.
No; God is definitely about freedom. Those who are in Christ are free to do what might place them outside the confines of what it means to be a slave of Christ. They are slaves by choice. That is what a bondservant is.

Those who are slaves of righteousness have been set free from sin. You have the freedom, as a slave of righteousness, to commit sin; however, that may be your last free act; because "he who commits sin is the servant of sin" (John 8:34)

Quote:
I scanned through your commentaries, and stand by what I posted. I found much of your writing to be that of rambling, ranting, conjecture (the way you see it), arrogance, judgmental, condemning, legalistic, hypocritical, hellish damnation, condescending, along with your false teaching of the Penal Substitution (or as you called it; a divine exchange - to appease the wrath of a god).

"Any time you point the finger at someone else, chances are you have three fingers pointing back at you."

Perhaps, you are looking in the mirror when you point that finger?
How about this one...

Mat 7:1, Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2, For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3, And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4, Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5, Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Or this...

Luk 6:41, And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Luk 6:42, Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 09-11-2021 at 12:28 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 12:29 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
No; God is definitely about freedom. Those who are in Christ are free to do what might place them outside the confines of what it means to be a slave of Christ. They are slaves by choice. That is what a bondservant is.

Those who are slaves of righteousness have been set free from sin. You have the freedom, as a slave of righteousness, to commit sin; however, that may be your last free act; because "he who commits sin is the servant of sin" (John 8:34)

How about this one...

Mat 7:1, Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2, For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3, And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4, Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5, Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Or this...

Luk 6:41, And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Luk 6:42, Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.
You must be looking in the mirror, when pointing that finger!

Old 09-11-2021, 12:34 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Quote:
You must be looking in the mirror, when pointing that finger!
Nope; you are pointing the finger, and your own three fingers are pointing back at you.

For I did not begin by judging you; but you began by judging me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity