Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 09:23 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
It'll ruin your day, won't it, when you arrive in heaven and finally understand the news (Gospel) that you aren't part of an elite and exclusive clique, and that there is no sweet incense of the burning damned to cheer you up? I suggest a strongly worded letter of protest to the management.
Actually, it would make my day if not a single person would be lost on that day.

Unfortunately, the Bible teaches that the way to destruction is a broad path and there are many who seek to enter in by it; and the way to life is narrow and there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14).

So, I would say that I don't believe the first thing even though I would love it if it were the case.

I think that we shouldn't base our understanding of reality on wishful thinking. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 PM

299 posts, read 104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Actually, it would make my day if not a single person would be lost on that day. . . . Unfortunately, the Bible teaches . . .
Then I owe you an apology for suggesting it. I wasn't sure how you would react to my question. You gave the only answer that any true follower of Jesus would give. And since we're in accord on this point, I'd like to explore it a little further. It would be better if everyone gets saved (as we agreed). It stands to reason, then, that everyone does get saved. Let me explain.

God's planned outcome for us humans cannot be a sub-optimal plan. It cannot be less that the greatest conceivable plan. If someone tells us that God has a plan that is not as good as it could be, but which is nevertheless His plan, we'll tell him he is full of malarkey, because we know that God's plans are perfect plans. Surely you see the obvious: Rescuing only a few is not as good a plan as rescuing all (we agreed on that). So rescuing a few cannot possibly be God's plan. Not unless it is possible to affirm two mutually exclusive propositions at the same time.

You said that some of what scripture teaches is unfortunate. The truth is, scripture is never unfortunate but your interpretation of it may well be. The Gospel is good news. Not slightly mitigated bad news - not so-so news. It is the best news you can possibly imagine.

Last edited by Arizona Humphrey; 09-09-2021 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 10:23 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Then I owe you an apology for suggesting it. I wasn't sure how you would react to my question. You gave the only answer that any true follower of Jesus would give. And since we're in accord on this point, I'd like to explore it a little further. It would be better if everyone gets saved (as we agreed). It stands to reason, then, that everyone does get saved. Let me explain.

God's planned outcome for us on Earth cannot be a sub-optimal plan. It cannot be less that the greatest conceivable plan. If someone tells us that God has a plan that is not as good as it could be, but which is nevertheless His plan, we'll tell him he is full of malarkey, because we know that God's plans are perfect plans. Surely you see the obvious: Rescuing only a few is not as good a plan as rescuing all (we agreed on that). So rescuing a few cannot possibly be God's plan. Not unless it is possible to affirm two mutually exclusive propositions at the same time.

You said that some of what scripture teaches is unfortunate. The truth is, scripture is never unfortunate but your interpretation of it may well be. The Gospel is good news. Not slightly mitigated bad news - not so-so news. It is the best news you can possibly imagine.
He seems cognitively incapable of engaging in this kind of thought and reasoning about what he reads in the Bible under the veil of wrath from reading the OT and Moses.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:34 PM

299 posts, read 104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He seems cognitively incapable of engaging in this kind of thought and reasoning about what he reads in the Bible under the veil of wrath from reading the OT and Moses.

I'm not so sure, brother Mystic. I rode Justby hard this evening and provoked him in multiple threads. Not my usual style. But he reacted to my rank sarcasm with an honest answer that reflected the mind of Christ.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:37 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:

God's planned outcome for us humans cannot be a sub-optimal plan. It cannot be less that the greatest conceivable plan. If someone tells us that God has a plan that is not as good as it could be, but which is nevertheless His plan, we'll tell him he is full of malarkey, because we know that God's plans are perfect plans. Surely you see the obvious: Rescuing only a few is not as good a plan as rescuing all (we agreed on that). So rescuing a few cannot possibly be God's plan. Not unless it is possible to affirm two mutually exclusive propositions at the same time.

not only does JBF affirm two mutually exclusive propositions at the same time all who believe in eternal torment or annihilation do.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:40 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
not only does JBF affirm two mutually exclusive propositions at the same time all who believe in eternal torment or annihilation do.
but at least JBF recognizes he does but says some things cannot be reconciled, or something to that effect.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure, brother Mystic. I rode Justby hard this evening and provoked him in multiple threads. Not my usual style. But he reacted to my rank sarcasm with an honest answer that reflected the mind of Christ.
I believe his answers are rote responses with very little comprehension of what he is quoting.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:

I believe that God places the concept of freedom over and above His desire to see all people saved.

For, where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (2 Corinthians 3:17).

Therefore, the Lord is all about freedom to choose;

And if someone chooses to reject the gift of salvation, God will honour that choice, is my belief.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe his answers are rote responses with very little comprehension of what he is quoting.
There are a few places on this message board where I go into greater detail on the meaning of certain scriptures that I have quoted.

On the other message board, that I am now banned from until the middle of 2022; I have taught through the book of Romans in a commentary; and I believe that if you look at that commentary, you will see that I do indeed understand much of what I read. I will try and dredge up a link to that commentary as I believe I referenced it in a thread near the beginning of my frequenting of these boards.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:26 AM

Couldn't find it. So, it may have been deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity