Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 10:59 AM

3,220 posts, read 924,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What works are you doing that are far greater?
“The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works.” (the son)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps he is parroting the words louder, Jer!
Your works amount to nothing. They are darkness.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:23 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I don't think I was being ridiculous though. What I think you're overlooking are the very real benefits to all of humanity, believers as well as unbelievers alike, of their being created "in Christ", where all live, move and have their being, as scripture clearly states.

This truth speaks to the very fact of how God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself not imputing their trespasses to them (2Co 5:19, Col 1:20). And, in a very real sense, to be "in Christ" does mean to be sanctified, even to those in unbelief who are "in Christ" and united to Him objectively by way of creation, but are, as yet, not sanctified subjectively by the Holy Spirit (1Co 6:11). Paul gives a good example of how this occurs when speaking of an unbelieving spouse having been sanctified by the believing spouse:

1Co 7:14 for the unbelieving husband hath been sanctified in the wife, and the unbelieving wife hath been sanctified in the husband; otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

In a very real sense the faith of Christ sanctifies the unbeliever "in Him".

Now, I'm going to tell you something you will think is ridiculous: All of humanity, this includes both believers subjectively and unbelievers objectively, have been, by the mere fact of being "in Christ", forgiven of their sins (2Co 5:19), declared righteous, that is justified (Rom 3:24, Rom 5:18), reconciled (Col 1:20) as well as sanctified by Christ's faith and faithfulness in His death and resurrection for them (Joh 3:35, Joh 17:2, Joh 4:42, 1Jo 2:2, 1Jo 4:14, 1Ti 2:6, and many more).

I don't really expect you to believe what I just put forth. The reformed church's do not teach it in their confessions of faith. However, I will say that Christ's atonement was limited to the elect "in Him", in that it was limited to the "spirit" of the soul. The spirit of the soul being elect in Christ. The carnal nature, the old man of the flesh being passed by or reprobated to death, having been crucified with Christ (Rom 6:6) already. Unbelievers simply have yet to be born from above to realize and experience what Christ has accomplished for them. However, in time, all will (1Ti 2:6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
amen brother, I usually say they have not yet been woken up to the fact that the light is in them.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
What works are you doing that are far greater?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
“The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works.” (the son)
Let me see if this is right, your works are far greater because ....

Old 09-11-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Question is, what did Jesus think far greater would be?

Would it be greater if He was the Father and another the son?

Old 09-11-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Question is, what did Jesus think far greater would be?

Would it be greater if He was the Father and another the son?
I am the son of your grandmother and grandfather but not your uncle. Who am I?

Spoiler
Your, Dad.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:55 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
amen brother, I usually say they have not yet been woken up to the fact that the light is in them.

Jesus Christ is the Light. There's no light in me. I am a wretch--and that so even by the standards of men, but God's standards are much stricter (Romans 2:1-3). In me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing. Christ is my everything. He is my life, my Savior, and all of my righteousness.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:07 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
That depends on the doctrine and whether the weight of evidence given by the KJV translation is valid concerning it.
The kjv is inerrant and inspired as concerning doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
While it's a better translation than most modern ones, it is gravely in error as it concerns its erroneous translation of "doulos" to "servant" rather than "slave." This is no trifling matter, as this concerns the very name of God, and the doctrine which is according to godliness (1 Tim 6:1-3). I would remind you that salvation is available to all who call upon the name of the Lord (Joel 2:32), so it would behoove one to learn what the scriptures actually say about the name of God.
Translating doulos as servant rather than slave is not an aberrant translation from the real meaning of the text.

I do believe that those who are in fact a doulos of Christ, have the freedom to go out from under being a doulos if they so choose. Of course, doing so would be their last free act.

But God, who is a Spirit (John 4:23-24) is all about freedom (2 Corinthians 3:17).

So, your contention that the kjv is incorrect in this instance is basically unfounded.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 09-11-2021 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 02:33 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,170,418 times
The Goal of Election, its God having Predestinated a particular number of people unto Eternal Glory in Christ Jesus 2 Tim 2:10, for the purpose of having the praise of His Grace Eph 1:4-6

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The kjv is inerrant and inspired as concerning doctrine.
But not infallible? Because it surely screwed up when it came to using the English word HELL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity