Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 11:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, Bible idolatry is a very real threat.

"Inspired Imperfection" (Greg Boyd) is a good book on the topic. Or the craziness of the OT will drive a person 'round the bend.
I wouldn't trust a word of what an open theist says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:12 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
BapFun,

Please refresh my memory on what Open Theism is.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:23 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,171,293 times
Election is perhaps the most despised Gospel doctrine in all the scripture. It magnifies the Sovereign Mercy of God in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet Jesus who is the only way of Salvation indicates it especially in John's Gospel. Listen to John 6:37

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

The words of Christ here "All that the Father giveth to me" denotes certain ones had been given to Him by His Father !

John 17:2

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

The words of Christ here "as many as thou hast given me" indicate only certain ones should He give eternal life to. Thats election .

Old 09-14-2021, 11:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
BapFun,

Please refresh my memory on what Open Theism is.
Open Theism is the idea that God doesn't know the future. Even something as trivial as what you will have for lunch tomorrow, he doesn't know.

Boyd is an Open Theist. I honestly don't know how one can think a god that is ignorant of the future can be God.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:51 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Election is perhaps the most despised Gospel doctrine in all the scripture. It magnifies the Sovereign Mercy of God in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet Jesus who is the only way of Salvation indicates it especially in John's Gospel. Listen to John 6:37

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

The words of Christ here "All that the Father giveth to me" denotes certain ones had been given to Him by His Father !

John 17:2

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

The words of Christ here "as many as thou hast given me" indicate only certain ones should He give eternal life to. Thats election .
Of course, the fact that He will in no wise cast out those who come to Him would indicate that if anyone comes to Him, they will be received. So they will not be rejected over some kind of charge that they are not one of God's elect. If anyone actually receives Christ, it becomes evident that they are one of God's elect at that moment in time.

I have heard it explained this way. A person stand outside of a door that says, "Whosoever will, let him come."

He enters in through the door; and finds a table set with a name tag at his place for eating at the banquet. He looks back at the door and sees a sign that says, "Predestinated from before the foundations of the world."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Open Theism is the idea that God doesn't know the future. Even something as trivial as what you will have for lunch tomorrow, he doesn't know.

Boyd is an Open Theist. I honestly don't know how one can think a god that is ignorant of the future can be God.
I think that I am in agreement with you there, brother.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:41 PM

Jn 6:39

Jesus again in John makes a comment indicating Election Jn 6:39

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Also from this verse we see its the Fathers Will, that He lose nothing of the All He gave to Him !

This is speaking of final Salvation or Glorification of the Elect given to Christ !

Old 09-15-2021, 01:48 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times
Quote:
Jn 6:39

Jesus again in John makes a comment indicating Election Jn 6:39

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Also from this verse we see its the Fathers Will, that He lose nothing of the All He gave to Him !

This is speaking of final Salvation or Glorification of the Elect given to Christ !
You still do not grasp the difference between monon and malista.

If and when you do, partialism will be diminished muchly.

“This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed—not a single detail missed—and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole. This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time.” ~MSG

Old 09-15-2021, 02:16 PM

The Father's will = That of all which He hath given me (ina pan o dedwke moi).

The construction is a peculiar and broken one. All which He has given, stands alone as an absolute nominative; a very emphatic and impressive mode of statement.

Literally it reads

All which He hath given me I should lose nothing out of it.~ Dr. M. Vincent

“Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands..."

Old 09-15-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
You still do not grasp the difference between monon and malista.

If and when you do, partialism will be diminished muchly.

“This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed—not a single detail missed—and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole. This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time.” ~MSG
You still dont grasp that not all, but only some were given to Christ to save.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You still dont grasp that not all, but only some were given to Christ to save.
Bingo !

Pas is not tis.

God is the Saviour of ALL/pas mankind, malista those who believe/ trust in Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity