Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

mercenary Azov Battalion in Ukraine per rferl (pro-EU site)

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-azov.../29008036.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Ukraine doesn't want to split apart. You or Putin's opinion on the matter are irrelevant.
The junta currently in power does not speak for the people of Ukriane, They're illegitimate. Maybe we should let the Ukrainians vote on it.

Your opinion matters even less.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The junta currently in power does not speak for the people of Ukriane, They're illegitimate. Maybe we should let the Ukrainians vote on it.

Your opinion matters even less.
Still wishing the elections in 2014 didn't happen right? Or are they not legitimate because 3% of the country occupied by Russia wasn't allowed by Russia to vote?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
mercenary Azov Battalion in Ukraine per rferl (pro-EU site)

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-azov.../29008036.html
It was all a show for cameras, they have no authority. They are welcome to walk around and "patrol" unarmed. Not unlike citizen patrol forces in other countries. Nobody is going to give those guys any room to do more than call police for real issues they encounter.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It was all a show for cameras, they have no authority. They are welcome to walk around and "patrol" unarmed. Not unlike citizen patrol forces in other countries. Nobody is going to give those guys any room to do more than call police for real issues they encounter.
So says the dude in Murika in front of his computer at work. Okay.

You really have a great understanding of daily life in Ukraine for the people on the street who have to deal with these thugs on the street corners. they're not exactly boyscouts. Reminds me of the Chicago gangs in the 1920s.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Still wishing the elections in 2014 didn't happen right? Or are they not legitimate because 3% of the country occupied by Russia wasn't allowed by Russia to vote?
They had elections in 2014???? I must've missed it through all the smoke, debris and bodies flying around.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM
DKM

Well if you had family in Ukraine like I do, you would know that they vote and no thugs are threatening them except the Russians in the east...

Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Putin's goal is to play around with nationalism to get as many people behind him as he can. What better way to do it then by showing himself as a strongman. He wants to be remembered as the next Stalin rather than Yeltsin or Gorbachev.

That's why I always thought that Medvedev was a stronger candidate. He's a lot more level headed than Putin.
You can bet anything that Putin does nto want to be remember as the next Yeltsin (who would??) or Gorbachev....definitely not Stalin as well.

Putin not level headed?? Like him or not, he is probably the sharpest political strategist of his time...Like someone said before, he was playing tri-dimensional chess when Obama was playing checkers...

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-05-2018 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:34 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You can bet anything that Putin does nto want to be remember as the next Yeltsin (who would??) or Gorbachev....definitely not Stalin as well.
He wants to leave a lasting legacy. That's what I meant when I said that he's similar to Stalin, not that they are necessarily trying to accomplish the same goals.

Quote:
Putin not level headed?? Like him or not, he is probably the sharpest political strategist of his time...Like someone said before, he was playing tri-dimensional chess when Obama was playing checkers...
I don't think he's particularly smart. It's just that those around him aren't very bright. In many ways it reminds of the Star Wars prequels where Palpatine was manipulating the Jedi to get his way. Palpatine wasn't particularly bright, the Jedi were just morons.
Once again, I'm not equating Putin with Palpatine in terms of ambition, just the environment in which they operate.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:48 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
He wants to leave a lasting legacy. That's what I meant when I said that he's similar to Stalin, not that they are necessarily trying to accomplish the same goals.
So far Putin has a pretty solid legacy (when he will leave power)...the return of Russia to world power status and a rather impressive effort on the diversification of its economy....

Quote:
I don't think he's particularly smart. It's just that those around him aren't very bright. In many ways it reminds of the Star Wars prequels where Palpatine was manipulating the Jedi to get his way. Palpatine wasn't particularly bright, the Jedi were just morons.
Once again, I'm not equating Putin with Palpatine in terms of ambition, just the environment in which they operate.
I do not agree...he may definitely not be in the same league of the greatest statesmen in history but compared to the current breed of his western counterparts he is quite sharp....if you talk about his entourage, well, for example, Lavrov is generally considered one of the sharpest diplomats around....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe