Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

With the news out today about gas prices lowering for households, I can see why the shift in focus to conspiracy theories regarding the health ministry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
You do not know the history. Donetsk has never been the capital of either Eastern Ukraine or anything else.
It was just an industrial center.

And when was it independent Ukraine? In general, such a term as Ukraine appeared in 1991. In USSR it was called УССР, before the Revolution, it was called Malorossia, and throughout its history they was either under Austria-Hungary, either under Poland.
Donetsk is also a very young city, even by American standards, founded in 1869 and gained city status in 1917. Kharkov on the other hand is much older founded in 1654. Kharkov is also the second largest city in Ukraine.

_____Population_______
Year....Kharkov...Donetsk

Also Ukraine did have a brief moment of independence/protectorate of Germany during the chaos of the civil war between 1918 and 1921.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...e%27s_Republic
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/&#1059...ка

Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
With the news out today about gas prices lowering for households, I can see why the shift in focus to conspiracy theories regarding the health ministry.

Apparently they don't consider 5% as something to write home about, particularly that it's summer season. Everyone knows what's coming during the cold season ( or rather weary of it.)
But health care is a steady problem in Ukraine, no matter what season.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You're talking about something else. She said the "unofficial capital" meaning subjectively the political center of eastern Ukraine. And that's not been the case for the past 20ish years, as that has been Donetsk which was both the political capital of the Party of Regions and also the economic capital of the region. Its subjective so you could make arguments either way.
I'd say rather cultural center of eastern Ukraine first of all.
I understand that you'd like to move cultural center of Eastern Ukraine to Donetsk and to pretend that what lays west of it is already a homogeneous territory with the "rest of Ukraine," Western part including, but it's not a case.

Quote:
I'm well aware of Ukraine's history before it became a republic of the Soviet Union.
We already know that you are not, you only ASSUME that you are "well aware."

Quote:
What it was before 1919 isn't really a reflection of the current nation which is clearly a merger of several pieces of former empires, mostly the Russian one though.
So to me, its only been in existence since 1990-91, like many countries in eastern Europe...
Of course it is.
You can't dismiss history, or rather start with the page that you find convenient, while dismissing the rest.

Although this seems to be typical American approach to history in general, when it comes to politics.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:35 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Apparently they don't consider 5% as something to write home about, particularly that it's summer season. Everyone knows what's coming during the cold season ( or rather weary of it.)
But health care is a steady problem in Ukraine, no matter what season.
If you were paying attention you'd know its down about 20% since last winter. And I thought you were since you mentioned it so many times.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'd say rather cultural center of eastern Ukraine first of all.
I understand that you'd like to move cultural center of Eastern Ukraine to Donetsk and to pretend that what lays west of it is already a homogeneous territory with the "rest of Ukraine," Western part including, but it's not a case.

You can't dismiss history, or rather start with the page that you find convenient, while dismissing the rest.

Although this seems to be typical American approach to history in general, when it comes to politics.
Culturally (and historically) sure I'd agree with you on that. Capitols mean different things I guess, but to me capitol is a politically charged term more than culturally. I digress, we weren't talking about the same things. I'm not pretending the rest of the country is culturally homogeneous, because its very obviously not. What is in common about it though is there are no positive feelings for Russia anymore even in Kharkov. Again, I don't include the over 50 crowd in that and I know they are significant in number but their views are tainted with their upbringing in the USSR.

I'm not dismissing history. However, the history of any territory when it was part of the Russian empire when all the people who were alive then are dead now is not all that important to the people living there now. Just like Slovaks don't care that they were a part of Austro-Hungary. I mean its history, but it doesn't drive their politics. Again I can see the Russian point of view being that former territories of the old empire are somehow theirs and not allowed to choose their own way but this view is going through its dying phase.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
If you were paying attention you'd know its down about 20% since last winter. And I thought you were since you mentioned it so many times.

No, I didn't pay close attention to figures; but now when I looked closer, at previous years, - for example they write here that in "May 2017 hot water and heating went up 88.95% comparably to May 2016,"

or here in the comments they say "You forgot when the price was 0.72 коп./м3 and then it jumped right away 11.5 times to 7.20-8.55/m3, they are washing our brains bringing it down 5% every time in order to bring it down 25% total."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egq_R3j2QgA

So it looks like they don't even notice those 20% you are talking about ( if this lowering of price even exists for real, or rather reach the regular consumer.)

This particular video's captioning is "Ze kept his word, 10.08.2019 the price of natural gas plunged 25%."

but they for the most part sound very skeptical - as in" even for June the lowering of price is barely noticeable, plus who cares about June, we want to see what will come in January."

Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Donetsk is also a very young city, even by American standards, founded in 1869 and gained city status in 1917. Kharkov on the other hand is much older founded in 1654. Kharkov is also the second largest city in Ukraine.

_____Population_______
Year....Kharkov...Donetsk

Also Ukraine did have a brief moment of independence/protectorate of Germany during the chaos of the civil war between 1918 and 1921.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...e%27s_Republic
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/&#1059...ка
In my opinion , the protectorate and independence are completely opposite things, don't you think?

Well, during the civil war on the territory of Russia formed an infinite number of quasi-states in the form of all sorts of Republics. Every ataman capturing some region immediately founded the "Great... ..something... Republic".

Old 08-11-2019, 07:30 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Culturally (and historically) sure I'd agree with you on that. Capitols mean different things I guess, but to me capitol is a politically charged term more than culturally. I digress, we weren't talking about the same things. I'm not pretending the rest of the country is culturally homogeneous, because its very obviously not. What is in common about it though is there are no positive feelings for Russia anymore even in Kharkov. Again, I don't include the over 50 crowd in that and I know they are significant in number but their views are tainted with their upbringing in the USSR.

I'm not dismissing history. However, the history of any territory when it was part of the Russian empire when all the people who were alive then are dead now is not all that important to the people living there now. Just like Slovaks don't care that they were a part of Austro-Hungary. I mean its history, but it doesn't drive their politics. Again I can see the Russian point of view being that former territories of the old empire are somehow theirs and not allowed to choose their own way but this view is going through its dying phase.
Why did you decide that Russia is dying without Ukraine and just sleeps and sees how to quickly grab her poor?. You did not come up with the idea that Ukraine is in this form just don't need? Russia, represented by the RSFSR, 70 years built there factories, cities, fed her, brought out of the agrarian Republic in one of the most industrial and received in response only spitting in the back. So why repeat this scenario again? Now the only thing that matters in the whole of Ukraine-the Donbas. By and large, the Ukrainian agenda in Russia gradually come to naught. They want to live on their own-for God's sake. The Russians are just tired of the madhouse that is happening in Ukraine and do not want to just hear about it. In the beginning, we all discussed the situation in Ukraine, now as soon as the conversation comes about everyone says: "Enough about this Ukraine-already sickening"

Old 08-11-2019, 11:36 AM

750 posts, read 907,435 times
The Ukrainian People’s Republic was not a protectorate - no need to find fault with words. The UPR was an independent state recognized by both Germany and the Entente. And what happened in Russia in yours is a separate story that has nothing to do with Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Why did you decide that Russia is dying without Ukraine and just sleeps and sees how to quickly grab her poor?. You did not come up with the idea that Ukraine is in this form just don't need? Russia, represented by the RSFSR, 70 years built there factories, cities, fed her, brought out of the agrarian Republic in one of the most industrial and received in response only spitting in the back. So why repeat this scenario again? Now the only thing that matters in the whole of Ukraine-the Donbas. By and large, the Ukrainian agenda in Russia gradually come to naught. They want to live on their own-for God's sake. The Russians are just tired of the madhouse that is happening in Ukraine and do not want to just hear about it. In the beginning, we all discussed the situation in Ukraine, now as soon as the conversation comes about everyone says: "Enough about this Ukraine-already sickening"
No need to lie - it was the industrial and intellectual potential of Ukraine that fed Russia the past 100 years, it was the loss of this potential that forced the Russians to occupy Crimea and start war on the Donbass, where more than 18,000 russian soldiers and mercenaries from russian citizens were already killed. Exactly 100 years ago, Russia, destitute and torn apart by war, having gathered its last forces, started a war against UPR, because Ukraine was the only thing that was valuable in the Russian Empire.
The occupied part of Donbass has no value for Ukraine, but even this does not stop the Russian invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe