Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Kharkov isn't the capital of "eastern" Ukraine. That's been Donetsk for a long time.

In your alternative world DKM, as usual.

Quote:
Well okay I guess since its occupation by Russia, now one could argue now its Kharkov. Kharkov is the educational center of Ukraine and has been for a long while.

Because Kharkov used to be a CAPITAL of Ukraine from 1919 to 1934, LITERALLY.
Not Donetsk that you are assigning this role.

Quote:
Gepa took a bullet for not supporting the FSB project so he earned his spot so to speak. Its doing relatively well for the same reason any city in the world with a lot of higher educational institutions is doing well. They have a fast growing IT industry as well as traditional heavy industry going on there, not the least the malyshev factory. Its an interesting place to visit, but I don't see how anyone could think its better than Kiev now or before 2014. I can only think this idea emerged from Russians who realize Kiev has become very pro Western (so must point out any flaw there).

Okay so the new bridge had some glass floors which looked pretty scary to me and apparently some of them cracked and were replaced the 2nd day. Since then however its been enjoyed by thousands of people mostly tourists and many of them Western. I hear it has great views and I can't wait to walk on it. I will not step on the glass panels though!
Not after what you saw in those videos I suppose.
The question still remains how many millions exactly has been stolen by Klichko on construction of this "miracle.")))

Quote:
This is sad that Russians have such an adverse reaction to a simple footbridge. Oh that Klitchko, look at his failure of a bridge that got a crack! He must be replaced by someone appointed by the Kremlin!
Since "Kremlin" lives in your head rent-free, start charging Putin on month-to-month basis I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times
Quote:
Inconvenient facts for the Russians believing their propaganda about declining Kiev

I’m afraid Russians are not interested in the state of Kiev. Absolutely. The general indicators of Ukraine are interesting for a some groups of citizens, but specifically Kiev is not.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In your alternative world DKM, as usual.

Because Kharkov used to be a CAPITAL of Ukraine from 1919 to 1934, LITERALLY.
Not Donetsk that you are assigning this role.

Not after what you saw in those videos I suppose.
The question still remains how many millions exactly has been stolen by Klichko on construction of this "miracle.")))
Yeah I was referring to independent Ukraine not the YCCP days (I'm not old enough to think of Ukraine in that way). Never had I heard anyone in Eastern Ukraine refer to Kharkov as the "capital" or center of Eastern Ukraine. That has been Donetsk. I am thinking you've never been to either so telling me about it is interesting. Its all subjective though.

Klitschko brothers donated money to the bridge from what I understand. I've only heard good things about his time as mayor. I can understand your hostility, he's leading a major Russian speaking city in the right direction in the opposite way of declining Donetsk. That thousands of people have moved to Kiev from Donetsk must be a sore spot for the FSB.

Last edited by DKM; 08-08-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was referring to independent Ukraine not the YCCP days (I'm not old enough to think of Ukraine in that way). Never had I heard anyone in Eastern Ukraine refer to Kharkov as the "capital" or center of Eastern Ukraine. That has been Donetsk. I am thinking you've never been to either so telling me about it is interesting. Its all subjective though.

Live and learn as they say.

Quote:
Klitschko brothers donated money to the bridge from what I understand. I've only heard good things about his time as mayor. I can understand your hostility, he's leading a major Russian speaking city in the right direction in the opposite way of declining Donetsk. That thousands of people have moved to Kiev from Donetsk must be a sore spot for the FSB.

I have no particular "hostility," since I am not planning to be in Kiev ( or to walk on that bridge for this matter) any time soon.

I am simply reflect here on what I see in social media from people that sound intelligent, and they are not happy with the changes they see in Kiev, Dubinsky including.

P.S. Not sure what such Russophobe as Dubinsky has got to do with FSB though.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM

P.S. P.S. Did I mention that the whole *Ukraine* affair is a quagmire?
In the latest news; this particular man is considered a possible replacement for Jon Huntsman, who is resigning as US ambassador to Russia.

"US Ambassador Richard Grenell is acting like "a high commissioner of an occupying power," the deputy leader of the Free Democrats (FDP) has said. Grenell has also drawn rebuffs from Germany's two governing parties.

Wolfgang Kubicki, the deputy chairman of the opposition Free Democrats (FDP), said Richard Grenell's repeated interference in German sovereignty should prompt Foreign Minister Heiko Maas to immediately declare Grenell persona non grata.
"Any US diplomat who acts like a high commissioner of an occupying power must learn that our tolerance also knows its limits," said Kubicki, who is also one of five deputy speakers of Germany's Bundestag parliament."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-us-amb...der/a-47975156

Why?
Oh, the infamous Nordstream 2 among other things.

More later..)))

Old 08-08-2019, 04:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I’m afraid Russians are not interested in the state of Kiev. Absolutely. The general indicators of Ukraine are interesting for a some groups of citizens, but specifically Kiev is not.
Its impossible to reconstruct Russian imperio without Kiev!

Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Why not? Moreover, Zelensky will soon sell all the lands of Ukraine to transnational corporations and there will be a "wild field" there.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:57 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,309 times
Quote:
You do not know the history. Donetsk has never been the capital of either Eastern Ukraine or anything else.
It was just an industrial center.

And when was it independent Ukraine? In general, such a term as Ukraine appeared in 1991. In USSR it was called УССР, before the Revolution, it was called Malorossia, and throughout its history they was either under Austria-Hungary, either under Poland.

Last edited by Zimogor; 08-08-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post

I wouldn't worry about "Russian imperio" at this point, with THIS kind of news in Ukraine)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnkAlrXQcw

(From the Ministry of Healthcare site in Ukraine comes yet another gem - an order signed by the infamous Dr. Death Ulyana Suprun, all 330 pages of it - what to do during the medical emergencies in Ukraine, (according to the "North American Association of Physicians" or whatever, he didn't look closer at the whole title.)
It gives the instructions for all kinds of emergency situations for ambulances, including the sting of medusa from the Pacific Ocean, with all the contact telephone numbers in the US.
And in case ( god forbids) you will become a victim of violence - the appropriate actions you need to take depends on a state you reside in - be that Texas or Alabama.
So there Ukrainians, your health is in good hands, you have nothing to worry about, when stung by the medusa from the Pacific Ocean somewhere in Dnepr river)))

American healthcare system will take care of you.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
You do not know the history. Donetsk has never been the capital of either Eastern Ukraine or anything else.
It was just an industrial center.

And when was it independent Ukraine? In general, such a term as Ukraine appeared in 1991. In USSR it was called УССР, before the Revolution, it was called Malorossia, and throughout its history they was either under Austria-Hungary, either under Poland.
You're talking about something else. She said the "unofficial capital" meaning subjectively the political center of eastern Ukraine. And that's not been the case for the past 20ish years, as that has been Donetsk which was both the political capital of the Party of Regions and also the economic capital of the region. Its subjective so you could make arguments either way.

I'm well aware of Ukraine's history before it became a republic of the Soviet Union. What it was before 1919 isn't really a reflection of the current nation which is clearly a merger of several pieces of former empires, mostly the Russian one though. So to me, its only been in existence since 1990-91, like many countries in eastern Europe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe