Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 04:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times

Advertisements

I've been saying on here for years that Donbas should go to Russia. That's what a majority of western Ukrainians want. This is hopefully the first step...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 08:49 AM

297 posts, read 177,379 times
Are Crimean Tatars really treated as badly by the current authorities in Crimea as many news outlets claim they are ? Or is that a great exaggeration ?

I'm asking because I am of Crimean Tatar extraction and I was born there , however I moved to Hungary at a young age and I've been living here ever since , so I'm pretty cut off from the present day situation of the region .

Old 03-14-2020, 12:32 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
Are Crimean Tatars really treated as badly by the current authorities in Crimea as many news outlets claim they are ? Or is that a great exaggeration ?

I'm asking because I am of Crimean Tatar extraction and I was born there , however I moved to Hungary at a young age and I've been living here ever since , so I'm pretty cut off from the present day situation of the region .
I think as long as they are not "making waves" ( i.e. not trying to stoke anti-Russian sentiment,) they are doing just fine in Crimea.

P.S. I follow this particular very popular blogger from Crimea. Judging by his name and his look, I think he is a Crimean Tatar, and sincerely pro-Russian at that.)
A lot of insight info coming from him ( that I am interested in,) and cleverly designed promos in the mix of his own small business that he apparently runs in Crimea. ( That part I am not interested in, since it targets specifically men's health issues.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3foJ_Nx2QM&t=464s

Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I think as long as they are not "making waves" ( i.e. not trying to stoke anti-Russian sentiment,) they are doing just fine in Crimea.

P.S. I follow this particular very popular blogger from Crimea. Judging by his name and his look, I think he is a Crimean Tatar, and sincerely pro-Russian at that.)
A lot of insight info coming from him ( that I am interested in,) and cleverly designed promos in the mix of his own small business that he apparently runs in Crimea. ( That part I am not interested in, since it targets specifically men's health issues.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3foJ_Nx2QM&t=464s
'
That's interesting and good to know ...

Part of the reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about going back to Crimea to visit and I'm curious if being of Tatat descent will cause me any problems , but I suppose I'll be fine if I don't spout off about the current political situation over there , which I don't have any strong opinions on anyway .

Old 03-14-2020, 02:36 PM
DKM

Ask a Russian propagandist who has never been there and you'll get such nonsense as above.

If you want the honest opinion of someone who's been there multiple times and knows people who live on both sides of that border: You'll be fine. I'm curious how you could not possibly know anyone there (who could tell you) if you were born there, but okay. You'll encounter no issues if you speak fluent Russian. If you don't, you may have issues depending on the situation.

You'll find the majority of local Tatars don't trust Russians and this was true before and after the annexation. But the older ones were more anti communist than anti Russian.... Russia shut down their TV channel, their ruling council (the Mejilis) and shut down their day of remembrance holiday. They periodically arrest members of the community for expressing anything against Russian annexation. Its not all bad though as Russia has poured more money into the community to try to win them over with some success. They were very neglected under Ukraine, so its not hard to improve their situation that way. The staunchly anti Russian Tatars left after Russia took it over, approximately 50k (mostly younger families). Over 10 thousand live in neighboring Kherson oblast now, others spread across Ukraine. Some moved to Turkey and even Poland. Some moved back home since things calmed down but the job market in Crimea is worse than in Ukraine. But the pensions are higher. So the situation varies, but anyone there now can leave if it was so bad so it must not be that bad if they are there.

Keep in mind its not terribly easy to get to Crimea now. There are also some restrictions using foreign bank accounts, no "western" stores or products of any kinds, etc.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Ask a Russian propagandist who has never been there and you'll get such nonsense as above.

If you want the honest opinion of someone who's been there multiple times and knows people who live on both sides of that border: You'll be fine. I'm curious how you could not possibly know anyone there (who could tell you) if you were born there, but okay. You'll encounter no issues if you speak fluent Russian. If you don't, you may have issues depending on the situation.

You'll find the majority of local Tatars don't trust Russians and this was true before and after the annexation. But the older ones were more anti communist than anti Russian.... Russia shut down their TV channel, their ruling council (the Mejilis) and shut down their day of remembrance holiday. They periodically arrest members of the community for expressing anything against Russian annexation. Its not all bad though as Russia has poured more money into the community to try to win them over with some success. They were very neglected under Ukraine, so its not hard to improve their situation that way. The staunchly anti Russian Tatars left after Russia took it over, approximately 50k (mostly younger families). Over 10 thousand live in neighboring Kherson oblast now, others spread across Ukraine. Some moved to Turkey and even Poland. Some moved back home since things calmed down but the job market in Crimea is worse than in Ukraine. But the pensions are higher. So the situation varies, but anyone there now can leave if it was so bad so it must not be that bad if they are there.

Keep in mind its not terribly easy to get to Crimea now. There are also some restrictions using foreign bank accounts, no "western" stores or products of any kinds, etc.

I mean virtually my entire family moved to either Hungary or Romania not long after the fall of the Soviet Union , so I'm honestly not aware of any blood relatives that I might have who still live there and I obviously don't have any friends living there who could give me advice ...

FWIW I'd identify myself as Hungarian if I was to visit there which would be backed up by my official documents , but I suppose that my physical appearance and name could give away my Tatar background ...

As an aside is there any truth to the rumor that Hungarian citizens are treated better by Russian officials than citizens of many other EU nations ? I'm asking because I have heard people claim that it it so due to the fairly Pro Russian policy of the current Hungarian government .

Old 03-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:

With other words, the origin of the OP will not cause him any problems while on visit in Crimea.

And that's the information he was looking for.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:49 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
FWIW I'd identify myself as Hungarian if I was to visit there which would be backed up by my official documents , but I suppose that my physical appearance and name could give away my Tatar background ...

As an aside is there any truth to the rumor that Hungarian citizens are treated better by Russian officials than citizens of many other EU nations ? I'm asking because I have heard people claim that it it so due to the fairly Pro Russian policy of the current Hungarian government .
You aren't lilely to encounter Russian officials so I don't know why you would care to ask that. Tatars I encountered in Crimea were extremely friendly to us, a mixed group of Americans and Russian speaking Ukrainians. Obviously they will be the same to you.

Young Russians are mostly friendly while older ones are not. To Russians you are a "westerner" unless you speak Russian. Mine was rusty enough that I while got a pass I was never one of them. I don't know how things have changed there for a western visitor in the past 6 years... There were already few before and now there are really very little. But if you can bring certain food items banned from sale there you will make a good impression.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
You aren't lilely to encounter Russian officials so I don't know why you would care to ask that. Tatars I encountered in Crimea were extremely friendly to us, a mixed group of Americans and Russian speaking Ukrainians. Obviously they will be the same to you.

Young Russians are mostly friendly while older ones are not. To Russians you are a "westerner" unless you speak Russian. Mine was rusty enough that I while got a pass I was never one of them. I don't know how things have changed there for a western visitor in the past 6 years... There were already few before and now there are really very little. But if you can bring certain food items banned from sale there you will make a good impression.
I mean aren't the official points of entry that you have to cross in order to get into Crimea manned by Russian officials ?

Thanks for your input though !

Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Ughm..
Ask Russians here whether they consider Hungarians to be "Westerners" ( or anybody that "doesn't speak Russian" for this matter)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe