Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 PM

177 posts, read 48,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Speaking about Ukraine's bilingual situation, I don't see any issue with Ukrainian langue to be a required subject for all students, but I think in areas with high Russian speaking populations, particularly in the east and south they should have the option to learn with Russian as their primary language of instruction if they so choose so, but still required to learn Ukrainian. If Ukraine want's to turn into a monolingual state, it would be smarter to do it over the course of multiple generations rather than all at once, other wise it will cause a lot of societal strife and divisions, and ultimately Ukraine would be hypocrites for following the footsteps of "Russification" policies employed by the Russian Empire and Soviet Union that Ukrainians passionately complain about.
So these are small steps to remove from the life of the next generations traces of the Russian empire and the Soviet Union.
Thirty years have passed and practically nothing has been done in this direction. Moreover, since 2014 it has been very ugly to speak the language of the current enemy and aggressor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 04:15 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec.S View Post
So these are small steps to remove from the life of the next generations traces of the Russian empire and the Soviet Union.
Thirty years have passed and practically nothing has been done in this direction. Moreover, since 2014 it has been very ugly to speak the language of the current enemy and aggressor!

With other words, the feeble attempt to deny your own history, and create some new myth instead.

But as any lie, it's going to work against the so-called "Ukrainian state."

Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
With other words, the feeble attempt to deny your own history, and create some new myth instead.
This is a history of colonization from 1654. Nobody denies it. But the time has come to create a New Ukraine from the ashes with a new success story!

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
This is a history of colonization from 1654. Nobody denies it. But the time has come to create a New Ukraine from the ashes with a new success story!

Tell me how "Russia proper "colonized Ukraine" back in 1654.
Yes, please DO tell me, be my guest))

I need to learn more of that mythology)))

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
the so-called "Ukrainian state."
So you can disparagingly call any state, including the Russian Federation or the United States of America. Such simple cliches are used by the Kremlin propagandists and I got vomit when I hear that sort of low level propagandism. Could have come up with something more innovative.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So you can disparagingly call any state, including the Russian Federation or the United States of America. Such simple cliches are used by the Kremlin propagandists and I got womit when I hear thet sort of low level propagandism. Could have come up with something more innovative.

Start with explanations of the post above pls, and I will explain to you why there is a difference between so-called "Ukrainian state" and "Russian Federation" or the US for this matter.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 PM

What is not clear to you in my previous post?

Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
What is not clear to you in my previous post?

You still didn't tell me about the "colonization" back in 1654.
I am all ears.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I am all ears.
Quote:
The Pereyaslav Council (Ukrainian: Перея́славська рáда, Russian: Переясла́вская рáда), was an official meeting that convened for ceremonial pledge of allegiance by Cossacks to the Tsar of Muscovy in the town of Pereyaslav (now Pereiaslav in central Ukraine) in January 1654.
It was greatest mistake in history of Ukraine!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I am all ears.

1-2-3...
Still no answer?
OK, then I will tell you what it was.

As much as I hate typing, listen closely Alec, why I am laughing at all these fairy-tales, made up currently by "great patriots" of Ukraine.

"Because the Cossacks couldn't hope to maintain their independence from Poles for long, Khmelnitsky offered Ukraine to Alexis as a protectorate of Russia. But, with the Polish frontier no farther away than Smolensk, Moscow hesitated to receive the gift for fear of inviting attack from the West.

Khmelnitsky prodded Alexis to action, by threatening to offer his allegiance to the Turkish sultan and even talked of joining the Poles in a war against Russia should Moscow spurn his offer.

A Zemskiy Sobor urged Alexis to receive the Ukraine and, in 1654 Khmelnitsky and the tzar came to terms.

Moscow granted autonomy to the ( Cossack) Host, recognized sixty thousand registered Cossacks, and received the oath of allegiance. The hetman (i.e. Khmelnitsky,) promised not to deal with Poland or Turkey except through Moscow."

( Melvin G. Wren, "The course of Russian history.")

See now? Moscow was practically BLACKMAILED to accept *Ukraine* as part of its land, because the Cossack Host ( i.e. "Ukrainians,") being the Orthodox as much as "Moscovites," (since "Russia" started from Kiev, Moscow tzardom including,) - the Cossacks simply couldn't survive under the oppression of the Catholic Poles, who overrun Ukraine ( the former lands of Kievan Rus.)

So there you have it Alec.

Any other contemporary myth trendy among Ukrainian nationalists - bring it on.

I can dissect and fix it for you, just ask.

Yes, the history of Russia was bloody and unsettling; the whole institution of serfdom, the oppression of general population throughout the centuries was terrible ( hence the uprisings of Razin, Bolotnikov and Pugachev,) but this doesn't change the fact that Russians and *Ukranians* are the very same people basically, starting as one nation, then being separated for a while because of circumstances, and then reunited again. They were into all this together.

An attempt to run away from this fact is like running away from yourself - alas. Building a new "state" on lies, trying to re-write history is no better.

So in my book *Ukrainians* have every right for a say regarding Moscow's shortcomings, as much as Russians living in "Russia proper," instead of inventing myths about their "historic non-relevance" to "Russia proper."

Last edited by erasure; 12-03-2020 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe