Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 10:21 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Oh no some protestors spray painted a building in Kyiv and lit fireworks on the sidewalk! And police only arrested one of them... How dare Ukraine not shoot protesters and beat them with clubs like big stronk Russia do. The global media should be aghast, where are they? Why only Russian media care about this?

France and Germany know Ukraine has the right to shoot at armed groups inside Ukraine. All day any day if they decide to. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 10:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well Putin officially said "we will not abandon Donbass."
Hopefully this time around it's not going to be like the last time, when he promised to help but betrayed the region and its people.

Of course if Russia will integrate Donbass, it will not come unnoticed for Washington and Brussels ( I think Berlin and Paris already close their collective eyes and plug their collective ears for obvious reasons; damn if you do and damn if you don't.)

And then, there is China.

And THIS in my opinion becomes the ever-growing factor, yet another not so noticeable player so far, in the whole developing situation.
I disagree that Russia did not help. A lot of those fighting then were Russian citizens. Veterans of Afghanistan and Chechneya and even some AWOL and vacationing soldiers. Russia supplied food and medicine, satellite surveilance data, radar data both in real time and still do. The Russian government turned a blind eye to the TRAINLOADS of war material shipped into the republics via Russia from countries like Khazakhstan.

You are wrong to say Russia betrayed them.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:29 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I disagree that Russia did not help. A lot of those fighting then were Russian citizens. Veterans of Afghanistan and Chechneya and even some AWOL and vacationing soldiers. Russia supplied food and medicine, satellite surveilance data, radar data both in real time and still do. The Russian government turned a blind eye to the TRAINLOADS of war material shipped into the republics via Russia from countries like Khazakhstan.

She's saying they were betrayed because all Russia did was make sure they didn't lose their war completely. And then no annexation (which would stop all fighting too). All those people got in those areas for rebelling was a lot of misery which continues today. it's basically the 90s in Luhansk (city) now. And no shooting there to blame either.

I think in a strange way we all agree that it would be great if Russia annexed the current areas under their control and be done with it. Maybe even throw in the rest of Luhansk Oblast to sweeten the deal. But its not up to us is it.

Last edited by DKM; 03-22-2021 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-23-2021, 01:38 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Posting news and propaganda clips in Russian and Ukrainian does nothing to inform or educate people who don’t speak those languages.

Suesbal...
Under the normal circumstances the Western media has to keep its readers in the loop, and supply the objective picture of what's going on on the "Eastern front."

But it's obviously not doing its job, adhering to the blunt propaganda instead, and that's why it takes too long for the Russian/Ukrainian speakers to explain the meaning/background of each and every image/video they post. ( They don't always have time/skills for that.)

For example this particular image from the so-called "Revolution of Dignity of 2014" that Turist posted earlier - the big slogan that people carry there, reads " For Ukraine's future without the oligarchs."

American media would never explain this fine detail, because THEIR bottom line was always "Ukrainians protested against corruption ( which was all Russia's fault supposedly,) yet they ( Americans that is) had no qualms appointing yet another oligarch as the new head of the "post-revolutionary" Ukrainian state.

This is just an example.

Yet another example ( why Russians are looking down at Western Ukrainians and I call them the "bleating idiots") was well-reflected in this video in Russian, which was ( yet again) too lengthy to translate in full.

But at 21:02 the woman ecologist is talking about the whole experience of dealing with the ecological issues in connection with the fracking contract in Kharkov's region - the contract that was signed already back in 2011/2012 during Yanukovich's times with Shell and Chevron.

So may be to a big joy of DKM, proving the "unification of Eastern and Western parts of Ukraine," this woman is telling that back in those days, when they in Kharkov region were protesting the contract citing the environmental concerns, ( the rallies, the articles in the newspaper and so on,) the Western Ukrainians that came to support them ( they had the same problem) said "You are not protesting the right way. We've simply set on fire their facilities, and it was the end of it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2bOCwRUIc&t=2s

So the Russian speakers are well aware of the differences between Western ( agricultural) and Eastern ( Industrial) parts of Ukraine, and what submitting everyone under the demands of the country bumpkins mentality would mean.

You see now the destruction that the younger generation of the *soccer fans* produced in the latest attack on the governmental building, when the mentality "burn and loot" becomes a common feature of today's Ukraine. Those videos don't need translations - the picture is pretty clear I hope.

And since the Western media is not doing its job, adequately and objectively exposing the subject to the public, it's difficult to step in the middle of it all, and to give the lengthy explanations while translating things from Russian/Ukrainian.
Which is a bad thing of course, since when the Western media is not doing its job, the Westerners are deprived of more objective information and can't make sound conclusions, to which they are entitled to, be that Right or Left wingers alike.

Last edited by erasure; 03-23-2021 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-23-2021, 01:57 PM
DKM

In other words, let's only look at the negative events in Ukraine to present it as a failure which needs Russian intervention to save them from themselves.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Not "Russia" but very specifically Putin with his promises.

I think I was addressing this subject earlier; what kind of "help" it was, is precisely a big issue here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56329263-post13221.html

There were other posts on this subject, but I think I'll PM you with more details.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
In other words, let's only look at the negative events in Ukraine to present it as a failure which needs Russian intervention to save them from themselves.

Let's look at both of sides of the story, since American media presents only the side it likes, the kind that serves the official narrative.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:22 PM

When is the Ukraine junta going to pay up?

https://tass.com/world/1269593

Old 03-23-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Not "Russia" but very specifically Putin with his promises.

I think I was addressing this subject earlier; what kind of "help" it was, is precisely a big issue here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56329263-post13221.html

There were other posts on this subject, but I think I'll PM you with more details.

I understand what Putin said and some of the nuances behind it. He said Russia would support the Donbas and the Russians did this. Invasion was on the table but considering the can of worms that would have opened it was the wrong move at that time. Remember the "if you break it you fix it" principle?

In hindsight considering the current situation strategically Russia has not lost or gained. It in fact stands to force the Ukronazis not to the table, but out of power. We know their time is limited. The soured relations between the EU, US and Russia were in the cards and now that China has gotten involved indirectly the writing is on the wall for the junta. I don't know when but people in Ukraine will see the writing on the wall and realize their future does not lay with the west because the west is failing in all spheres.

I would appreciate any material you have no doubt there are things i have missed.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:03 PM
DKM

Quote:
Let's look at both of sides of the story, since American media presents only the side it likes, the kind that serves the official narrative.
American media!? They aren't talking about Ukraine. Why would they? Vast majority of Americans could not care less about any of it or Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe