Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
That's because the locals don't do the kind of work that we do. When you're doing analytical work like accounting, law practice, IT etc, you need to be COOL and thus, productive. I don't know what they do down there in the Caribbean, shrink heads and do rain dances? I doubt perspiration affects their productivity in those types of activities.
Hmmm.... my husband does "analytical work" and he loves it here just fine. He's been all over the world, too, and thinks this is the best.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
That's because the locals don't do the kind of work that we do. When you're doing analytical work like accounting, law practice, IT etc, you need to be COOL and thus, productive. I don't know what they do down there in the Caribbean, shrink heads and do rain dances? I doubt perspiration affects their productivity in those types of activities.

In the Caribbean, the major industries include petroleum and the production of heavy industrial products, as well as agriculture, and of course the service industry. You don't think these are activities where one might need to be productive? That computer you're typing on wouldn't be here if people didn't do those other head shrinking and rain dancing jobs to provide the materials to make it.

You win most offensive post I have ever read on this forum. At least this year.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:

And you wonder why Americans get such a bad rap abroad ?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
In the Caribbean, the major industries include petroleum and the production of heavy industrial products, as well as agriculture, and of course the service industry. You don't think these are activities where one might need to be productive? That computer you're typing on wouldn't be here if people didn't do those other head shrinking and rain dancing jobs to provide the materials to make it.

You win most offensive post I have ever read on this forum. At least this year.
Thank you. +1

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
High paying jobs for entry level or service level workers? Where does this happen?
Depends on you idea of "high", There are 8 states with a minimum wage of $8.00/hr. or higher..

I receive job notifications in my e-mail daily from several staffing agencies in my area that I signed up with when I moved here, I see daily job offers posted for entry level warehouse and customer service jobs starting at $11.00/hr.

That may not be "high pay" to some, but for the millions working at Walmart's or Burger King's, I'm sure that would be a pretty hefty raise.

Of course, those are job listings in Texas, not Florida.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I never understood why people have a hate on for Florida. Other than humidity, it's beautiful, cheap, great food, nice cities, and I think of it as the East coast version of California (And vice versa).
Florida and California are NOTHING alike, the only thing they share is that they're both coastal states.

California has mountains, deserts, a great climate, and despite their mismanagement, one of the largest economies in the world, not to mention double the population.

See what you've done, you've made me defend California!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Gag! Now don't you feel sick to your stomach?

Not to disagree with you much, but in my recent job search I did see a lot of entry level warehouse jobs here for $10-$12/hr. The only minimum wage stuff I saw was McD's type things. Not that $10-$12/hr is anything great either, but that is what I have noticed for entry level/minimal education jobs.

I really hate this message I get every time I try to rep you.....
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TXRyan23 again.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Florida and California are NOTHING alike, the only thing they share is that they're both coastal states.

California has mountains, deserts, a great climate, and despite their mismanagement, one of the largest economies in the world, not to mention double the population.

That's why i said the East coast version of California! I don't think they're alike as much as they are both seen as the paradise state of their coast.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
I like a certain amount of humidity too. My biggest complaint about winters up north is how dry my skin gets, despite the use of humidifers.

I would move to Florida except that I don't know if the medical care is as good as up north where I live now, and I also don't know if I could get new health insurance at a reasonable rate. I'm dealing with some sports injury operations right now, and wonder if the fact that these are recent would make insurance difficult to get.
For those of us about ready for Medicare, the question about Florida would be how available are the docs willing to take new Medicare patients. This would be a potentially big issue for a new retiree to Florida, in addition to the weather issues (high humidity in summer, hurricanes, etc.). Every place has trade-offs, and some people like the hot humid summers, but the Medicare issue may be a deal breaker for some.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
That's why i said the East coast version of California! I don't think they're alike as much as they are both seen as the paradise state of their coast.
I see it the same as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay