Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Education is used as a gatekeeper to determine social advancement.

Some of the most brilliant minds in history were not formally educated. One could argue that formal education (aka being "institutionalized") would have been a detriment. When you are taught how to think and learn, you don't develop the problem-solving skills necessary to activate your brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I agree Bolu, but it has to be the right education. And too many Africans adopt a western education. Problem. Africans don't have an excuse for allowing those outside their culture to teach them. African-Americans, on the otherhand, are westerners by birth. Their ancestors were prevented, often under the threat of death, from teaching their descendants the ways of their native culture. So when they were allowed to learn, they had no culture of their own to teach.

Ya know...looking at if that way, it's pretty disgraceful how many Africans do not value their own culture and instead adopt a toxic foreign one. And at the end of the day, it's precisely why westerners see them as a cheap trick...easily exploitable for pennies on the dollar. You benefit their agenda. Do not ever misunderstand your position.
Not only them, but the Chinese seem to be catching on to this as well. Many have come to build infrastructure and some men have even married women in the country they land in. It almost seems to be similar to the way the Iberian countries went about things when arriving in a new land.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
I agree Bolu, but it has to be the right education. And too many Africans adopt a western education. Problem. Africans don't have an excuse for allowing those outside their culture to teach them. African-Americans, on the otherhand, are westerners by birth. Their ancestors were prevented, often under the threat of death, from teaching their descendants the ways of their native culture. So when they were allowed to learn, they had no culture of their own to teach.

Ya know...looking at if that way, it's pretty disgraceful how many Africans do not value their own culture and instead adopt a toxic foreign one. And at the end of the day, it's precisely why westerners see them as a cheap trick...easily exploitable for pennies on the dollar. You benefit their agenda. Do not ever misunderstand your position.

Some African cultures do not lack toxicity some are much more classist and arrogant than western cultures and treat those on the bottom of the pecking order much worse. I've seen this play out numerous times in the work place bullying runs rampant as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Some African cultures do not lack toxicity some are much more classist and arrogant than western cultures and treat those on the bottom of the pecking order much worse. I've seen this play out numerous times in the work place bullying runs rampant as well.

I don't disagree. I just think it's the result of colonization. I don't think Africans are naturally this way. Are they tribal? Yes. But that doesn't necessarily translate to being classist. I think classism is learned behavior. But I could be TOTALLY wrong about this. I'm not African.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:14 PM
AFP

Quote:
I don't disagree. I just think it's the result of colonization. I don't think Africans are naturally this way. Are they tribal? Yes. But that doesn't necessarily translate to being classist. I think classism is learned behavior. But I could be TOTALLY wrong about this. I'm not African.
What makes you think that? I don't notice colorism, what I notice is more rigid hierarchy, more materialism, more entitlement among those in power(they feel they should be excluded from followings the rules and generally will without oversight) and above all much less empathy for subordinates.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
What makes you think that? I don't notice colorism, what I notice is more rigid hierarchy, more materialism, more entitlement among those in power(they feel they should be excluded from followings the rules and generally will without oversight) and above all much less empathy for subordinates.

What is the history of tribes in Africa? Did they have a money system, or did they trade? I just don't see a strict hierarchy existing in a culture that doesn't value currency. If there is a system based on trade, then I don't see that leading to a "better than" mindset, because you have something that I need and vice versa. But if you are taught the value of a dollar and taught to believe that dollar is inherently more valuable than other things in your culture, then it would breed a capitalistic mind. If currency was always a part of their system, then my theory is off-base.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM
AFP

Quote:
What is the history of tribes in Africa? Did they have a money system, or did they trade? I just don't see a strict hierarchy existing in a culture that doesn't value currency. If there is a system based on trade, then I don't see that leading to a "better than" mindset, because you have something that I need and vice versa. But if you are taught the value of a dollar and taught to believe that dollar is inherently more valuable than other things in your culture, then it would breed a capitalistic mind. If currency was always a part of their system, then my theory is off-base.
Have you worked with Africans that are from rich families? I've seen it first hand how they treat subordinates. Like I've said I've seen it close up particularly with some Nigerians. Everything that I posted I've seen firsthand many times play in in real life.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm not saying a hierarchy doesn't exists. My point is, where did that mentality come from? Is in inherent to Africans, or did they learn it from somewhere else? Personally, I think they learned it from the Europeans. I could be wrong. That's why I asked about the history of their economies. Behaving like an elitist is something I really only see in POC who are or have been westernized. Elitism comes from a selfish place. Most POC come from collectivist cultures where there is no room for that type of thinking.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:07 PM
AFP

Quote:
I'm not saying a hierarchy doesn't exists. My point is, where did that mentality come from? Is in inherent to Africans, or did they learn it from somewhere else? Personally, I think they learned it from the Europeans. I could be wrong. That's why I asked about the history of their economies. Behaving like an elitist is something I really only see in POC who are or have been westernized. Elitism comes from a selfish place. Most POC come from collectivist cultures where there is no room for that type of thinking.
It could have been imported but not in a recent time frame hunters and gatherers are more egalitarian. Social stratification and slavery seems to be somehow connected to the agricultural revolution which spread to Africa from eastern Anatolia and the Levant.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:37 PM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
In college usually I met tons of Africans and seeing how they interact with US citizens of AA is nothing out of the ordinary. When it comes to the yo yo crowd many do not interact with them at all. In college again it is not even funny. I ask my fellow American to turn down his headset. He just turns it up even louder. That is how terrible it is. This is a blasted college why do I have to deal with this and why is the professor allowing this? It is like gutter trash and why do the gutter have to get passed down to children who have so many resources.

The image is so bad that areas where need to paid attention to is ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa