Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times

Advertisements

People who hate <insert whatever state here>, I think, simply do so because they are unhappy with their own existence, and feel that they are required to point out their perceived notions to convince themselves that they are in a superior place in life.

*Schadenfreude*

I worked in a region for a long time where it was very common that if you didn't drove what they drove, talked like they talked, ate where they ate..etc, you were a "non-person".

You were the subject of every insult.

It's the only way they can assure themselves that they're not losers.

I see that when people want to put down Arkansas, or any other area.

People live here for two reasons, because they like to, or because if they didn't, they'd have to complain about some other state. Everyone is free to leave.

I know....I know...."I can't".

I can't because I can't afford it/my family is here/I can't find work anywhere else/.................................

There's not a lot of places that pay less than Arkansas. You can afford it.

I have been to a lot of states, as most of y'all have. I can find something negative about every one of them, including this one.

But I won't, because I summed it all up and made a decision if I wanted to be there or not, and if not, I left.

What do I accomplish by sitting in one state, and throwning barbs at another? There are many, many people in that state that love it and are happy.

I use to live near Seattle. It was beautiful. I have friends that still live there that I talk to frequently. I sometimes jab them with the fact that it rains every day, too many tree huggers, you can't hardly hunt nuthin', and too many tree huggers. Oh........I mentioned that, didn't I?

They respond with the fact that they hike through the trees, not cut them down, the rain keeps everything green year round, and that they gave up hunting and took up fishing.

Also.......in Arkansas......I can't go down to the water's edge with a piece of bacon and a string, and bring home a bucket of crabs for supper.

Ouch........that last one did sting.

They love it and I'm happy for them, but I chose to live in Arkansas.

People come into this forum to criticize and don't realize that we're living in everything from a spacious mountainside villa to a shotgun shack.

We're driving everything from a new Mercedes to a beat up '72 chevy pickup.

We're eating everything from chateaubriand to possum stew.

And yet, in their eyes, we are all the same. We are Arkansas.

Yes, we *are* Arkansas. If that is something that deserves scorn in their eyes, so be it.

I see it as the diversification that is frequently called for here. The cultural diversity that is in front of everyone that they choose not to see and talk about how <this area> has no cultural diversity.

That's my area you're talking about, and I dare you to take a look around, it's no different than most areas in Arkansas.

Besides 3rd and 4th generation locals, my neighbors consist of people from Texas, Michigan, Wyoming, Texas, Colorado, Texas, and one crazy cajun that I can sometimes understand when we have *both* drank enough bourbon.

People from everywhere that one day said "The heck with it", moved to the middle of nowhere, bought some cattle, a good pair of workboots, a rifle, a stewpot, and never looked back.

I sit any different in HSV, BV, Fayetteville, or anywhere else in this state? No, it's people that wanted a different atmosphere than what they had and found it here.

It is much more culture rich than some will admit.

When you come through on the tour bus, see the countryside, and go back home to post your observations of the hillbillies and a "lack of progress", don't forget to pull that bedroom curtain to shut out the light of the McDonalds next door.

Don't forget to clutch your purse tightly to you when shopping at the mall.

Try and get some help for that flat tire you just got that won't take you car afterward.

There's a lot to hate about Arkansas.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I worked in a region for a long time where it was very common that if you didn't drove what they drove, talked like they talked, ate where they ate..etc, you were a "non-person".
Sounds an awful lot like the Arkansas I know... the worst place I've ever seen for such behavior.
What's worse, they do it to their own.
Good riddance to that place.
That was one category in which Little Rock was slightly better than the rural areas and small towns.
Small-town Arkansas can be downright awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
When you come through on the tour bus, see the countryside, and go back home to post your observations of the hillbillies and a "lack of progress", don't forget to pull that bedroom curtain to shut out the light of the McDonalds next door.

Don't forget to clutch your purse tightly to you when shopping at the mall.

Try and get some help for that flat tire you just got that won't take you car afterward.
Ahhhhh yes, more memories of how Arkansas really is. My mom's purse was stolen in a 'good' area of Jonesboro. Little Rock is full of snobs too good and too busy to stop and help motorists who are broke down...

Funny how people's experiences can be so different.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
people in AK should come out and visit, other (northern) states such as NJ or NY before they ask not to be judged. Compared to NY and NJ; AK has a lot to learn in tolerance, hospitality and most of all honesty.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Quite frankly, I don't believe that most non-Catholic Arkansans understand Catholicism. All they know is the misinformation spread from some pulpits. To be fair, I'm sure that works the other way. To directly address your point, however, the Roman church believes that it is the way to "full communion" with God. It does not teach that it is the ONLY way to eternal salvation. Subtle, but material, distinction.

I stand by the point I was making -- that Arkansans should work to adjust to and accept outsiders as much as many of you feel outsiders coming into Arkansas should do the same.

Cheers.
Maybe outsiders shouldn't come in and try to change Arkansans and Arkansas.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - the best View Post
people in AK should come out and visit, other (northern) states such as NJ or NY before they ask not to be judged. Compared to NY and NJ; AK has a lot to learn in tolerance, hospitality and most of all honesty.

AK is Alaska.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,254 times
Quote:
I understand NJ = New Jersey (Jim McGreevey-Gay American Governor) & NY = New York (Moderator cut: inappropriate word governor). Tolerance does seem to be the order of the day in your neck of the woods unless NY means New Mexico.

AK is Alaska!!! They call Alabama the Crimson Tide.

Last edited by leorah; 12-20-2008 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Keep in PG13 please

Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Give me a break!! do you know how many of us have lived in other states, not to mention visiting them? How much time have you spent in ARkansas? By the way, this is the AR board not the Alaska board....

NIta

Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,096 times
I can't help but notice NY-the best has only one post to there credit, I have a suspicion they are very aware that AK is not Arkansas.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Well before Wal-Mart, there was K-Mart, T G & Y, Woolworth, McCroy's, Hills (then Zayre then Ames)...all based somewhere else other than Arkansas. Wal-Mart is still a relatively young company and first opened in underserved markets in the South and lower Midwest because the national chains did not locate to those places. Also retail stores have always paid their employees low because the educational requirement for such jobs is pretty much a high school diploma. It's just now Wal-Mart is so big, and with the Internet and better access to news, you hear more about Wal-Mart and its problems.

But back to the original question, Arkansas is in the South so it get the stereotypes associated with the South. Although there are ignorant people all over the US, the media loves to depict the South is a negative light. I mean you never see shows about an ignorant Northern sheriff or shows about Chicago's or Boston's racist past. But many of the northern transplants I know confirm that there are rednecks and racists up there too.
Yes I grew up in a town full of them unfortunately those above the Mason Dixon moved in and they moved out, along with me. Had to go further south but still not south enough.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,035 times
Quote:
When I think of hospitality and honesty, I DEFINITELY think NY-NJ!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas