Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM

157 posts, read 517,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out of Arkansas.
Moderator cut: no commenting on mod actions, please...
This is what I hate about Arkansas:
--------
inferiority complex
n. A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inferiority+complex
---------

Fact: Arkansas is behind in education, in science, in technology, in social progress.
Silver Lining: We can make it better. And two of the state's best--Fayetteville and Little Rock and even a few other places--are doing fine/well in this capacity.

Last edited by leorah; 01-21-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM

47 posts, read 145,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
Man, I certainly hoped you were warned, considering I'm warned every other post.

I don't understand?

--------
inferiority complex n. A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

source: inferiority complex - definition of inferiority complex by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
---------

Fact: Arkansas is behind in education, in science, in technology, in social progress.
Silver Lining: We can make it better. And two of the state's best--Fayetteville and Little Rock and even a few other places--are doing fine/well in this capacity.
Nailed it.!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,391 times
Mr. Huckabee as Mr. Gay? I don't really think about him much, but I know there are a LOT of people who have spent a lot of mental energy hating the Clintons for many years and they are associated with Arkansas. That may not be very accurate as they came from elsewhere, but most folks don't care.

Mentally shallow people will hook onto any silly idea to make easy decisions for them. Just be glad that all the folks don't come streaming into Arkansas like they do some other places.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Actually I think Huckabee and the Clintons are good for Arkansas. Opionions may vary as to there character, but I think most people would agree that they all three are smart, certainly different, but all well spoken. For such a small state to have so many presidential candidates I think that speaks well for the state.

On the other hand, John Daly who is loved by most everyone is bad for the states image. I love him too, but how many people know where Tiger Woods is from or any player that has won at least one major championship. Everytime they mention his exploits they always seem to mention he is from Arkansas...like what else would you expect. Irritates me.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM

138 posts, read 369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
Actually I think Huckabee and the Clintons are good for Arkansas. Opionions may vary as to there character, but I think most people would agree that they all three are smart, certainly different, but all well spoken. For such a small state to have so many presidential candidates I think that speaks well for the state.
Except for the fact that Huckabee is like a "lite" version of Rev. Fred Phelps.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 PM

I strongly disagree with that comparison and I am not a big fan of the Huckster. I think the good Rev. Phelps should be talked about on why does everyone hate Kansas thread.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I strongly disagree with that comparison and I am not a big fan of the Huckster. I think the good Rev. Phelps should be talked about on why does everyone hate Kansas thread.
I make that comparison because Huck and gay bashing have become synonymous. Personally I think he is articulate and had a lot of potential as a politician, but he ruined it by focusing too much on gays during his campaign in a time when the nation's attention is largely on other issues.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
I make that comparison because Huck and gay bashing have become synonymous. Personally I think he is articulate and had a lot of potential as a politician, but he ruined it by focusing too much on gays during his campaign in a time when the nation's attention is largely on other issues.
I think his stance is pretty much consistant with that of a Baptist Preacher, maybe not that of Presidential Candidate. I was not aware that he made that such a focus...I will take your word for it...I did not follow him that closely; however, Phelps seems Insane...I don't think 99% of conservatives support this man.

The point I was trying to make was that although Huckabee and Clinton have different views. The different views were articulated by two intelligent people from the state of Arkansas. For the purpose of this thread it is not about the politicians, but how they represent the state, and I think that it is positive. My favorite Arkansas politician is Blanche Lincoln, but that is just me.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I think his stance is pretty much consistant with that of a Baptist Preacher, maybe not that of Presidential Candidate. I was not aware that he made that such a focus...I will take your word for it...I did not follow him that closely; however, Phelps seems Insane...I don't think 99% of conservatives support this man.
Your right. He is a former Baptist preacher, and while he is expected to hold those views, when running for President, he needs to make more of an attempt to represent ALL Americans and not just the most conservative members of the most conservative churches in the country. Arkansas is known as a gay-bashing state, and Mike Huckabee did nothing but confirm that image.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:

On the other hand, John Daly who is loved by most everyone is bad for the states image. I love him too, but how many people know where Tiger Woods is from or any player that has won at least one major championship. Everytime they mention his exploits they always seem to mention he is from Arkansas...like what else would you expect. Irritates me.
good points, I too think the Clintons and Huckabee are good for our state. As you mentioned, this has nothing to do with our feelings toward them personally. I can actually think of a few other sports figures from AR or i think they were, but they go way back.

You know every state has things to be proud of and just because the best universities might be in a particular place or tech has moved in does not make that state better than the state next door. I knew more backwards people, more stupid and uneducated people and more unfriendly people in NM than here. NM isn't at the bottom of the list in education or poverty (close) why, because they have Sandia Labs and Los Alamos..they also have the poorist county in the United States. We can do what we want with stats.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas