Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
When I move to Canada should I just get my doctor to write me a new script and have it filled in Canada? Are they able to give me pills with an American presciption? Anybody go through this before?
Canadian law requires that Canadian pharmacies only fill prescriptions written by a Canadian doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 43,136 times
Hey, everyone.

My name is Travis, I'm 22 years old and I've been living in New York State since I was about 3, despite being born in Toronto and maintaining my citizenship. I'm a Canadian citizen with a Permanent Resident card for the U.S. I've been planning since January to move back to Toronto so that I can attend the Second City training center, and start pursuing acting opportunities more than I'm able to in Buffalo. Now, it looks like I'll be leaving July 7th, and my first question is very simple:

Is there anything I'll need in order to move back? I have my Canadian passport, an American drivers license to trade in once I'm back in Ontario, a U.S. Social Security Number, and my green card. I'll be crossing the Peace Bridge with my dad (who I'll be moving in with) and a small UHaul truck. I've been told there's a form where I need to list everything I'll be bringing across, but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone know where that form is, or if there's anything else I'll need?

Secondly, the part that is a bit more complicated. My girlfriend is 19 and American, and she's been living with me now for 2 years in Buffalo. She'll be moving with me, but it looks like it won't be until 2013, as I need to submit an application to become her sponsor, and if I'm approved, she'll have an application as my common law partner to wait for. However, as we've been working on these applications, we've realized that it keeps mentioning supporting documentation that proves we're not faking a relationship for immigration purposes. Does anyone know of a list anywhere that details what the documentation is?

Letters from people that know us? Pictures? A high-school yearbook she signed 4 years ago? Airplane tickets from a trip we took? A copy of each of our bank statements that show the same address?

I could really use some help here as I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for ANY help that you can provide.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisGray View Post
...Secondly, the part that is a bit more complicated. My girlfriend is 19 and American, and she's been living with me now for 2 years in Buffalo. She'll be moving with me, but it looks like it won't be until 2013, as I need to submit an application to become her sponsor, and if I'm approved, she'll have an application as my common law partner to wait for. However, as we've been working on these applications, we've realized that it keeps mentioning supporting documentation that proves we're not faking a relationship for immigration purposes. Does anyone know of a list anywhere that details what the documentation is?....
There is no list that I know of, but some good ideas include some of what you mention (airline tickets, photos over the years of you together looking lovey dovey, utility bills with both your names on it, income tax return forms showing you have the same address), receipts for joint purchases over the years, joint bank account statement, love letters/mushy cards, screen shots of text history, etc. They want to know you are a real couple so the onus on proving a history is on you.

And you should apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) as soon as you get there: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/who.shtml

Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Quote:
I need to submit an application to become her sponsor, and if I'm approved, she'll have an application as my common law partner to wait for.
I haven't found any info that you can sponsor a non-relative and or a non-wife:

Quote:
You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship

another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)

accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I haven't found any info that you can sponsor a non-relative and or a non-wife:

Common law partners can be sponsored: Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children—Who can apply

Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)
You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of:

joint bank accounts or credit cards
joint ownership of a home
joint residential leases
joint rental receipts
joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone)
joint management of household expenses
proof of joint purchases, especially for household items or
mail addressed to either person or both people at the same address.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Is there anything I'll need in order to move back? I have my Canadian passport, an American drivers license to trade in once I'm back in Ontario, a U.S. Social Security Number, and my green card. I'll be crossing the Peace Bridge with my dad (who I'll be moving in with) and a small UHaul truck. I've been told there's a form where I need to list everything I'll be bringing across, but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone know where that form is, or if there's anything else I'll need?
Go to this site:

Canadians and Permanent Residents

and look at the Moving Back to Canada section. The form you need is the B4. It's in that section, under Making a Declaration.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 PM

Wow, very helpful responses from everyone, especially sunshineleith and Vichel. I've "added to reputation" for both of you, and I'll take a week or so to try and get all of my applications and such in order. If by then I still have any questions, I'll make sure to come back and ask you all.

Thanks so much.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
Secondly, the part that is a bit more complicated. My girlfriend is 19 and American, and she's been living with me now for 2 years in Buffalo. She'll be moving with me, but it looks like it won't be until 2013, as I need to submit an application to become her sponsor, and if I'm approved, she'll have an application as my common law partner to wait for. However, as we've been working on these applications, we've realized that it keeps mentioning supporting documentation that proves we're not faking a relationship for immigration purposes. Does anyone know of a list anywhere that details what the documentation is?

Letters from people that know us? Pictures? A high-school yearbook she signed 4 years ago? Airplane tickets from a trip we took? A copy of each of our bank statements that show the same address?

I could really use some help here as I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for ANY help that you can provide.
You can sponsor her as a common-law partner. Yes, you already have got a good idea of how to prove your common-law relationship. All those things you mentioned, like letters from people, bank statements, pictures of both of you among your family members and friends and so on will do.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM

One more random question; is she eligible to get the 6 month visitor Visa while waiting for her other application to be processed, or is that not allowed? If that's a possibility, it would make things WAY easier on us, ha ha.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times
Quote:
One more random question; is she eligible to get the 6 month visitor Visa while waiting for her other application to be processed, or is that not allowed? If that's a possibility, it would make things WAY easier on us, ha ha.
Yes she is eligible to cross the border as much as she wants while in process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada