Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
True.

Since we have pretty well established that there is no Biblical basis for forbiding it's use; and since God has told us to enjoy ourselves as we worship Him, there does not seem to be anything or any line of reasoning to stop anyone from using marijuana.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
Well there is one teeny-tiny problem with it......it's ILLEGAL.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
Quote:
True.

Since we have pretty well established that there is no Biblical basis for forbiding it's use; and since God has told us to enjoy ourselves as we worship Him, there does not seem to be anything or any line of reasoning to stop anyone from using marijuana.
I believe I'd rather have someone smoking pot and driving than someone drinking and driving...but with that said, I don't consider smoking pot any worse than someone drinking....all in moderation and stay off the road.

I personally prefer mary jane over booze any day...simply for the absense of the next day side effects alone.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I can only speak from my personal experience; I was a heavy pot smoker as a youth, and after walking with the Lord for a few years I fell under a time of great trials. I took a co-worker up on an offer to get a 1/4 ounce, and I took it home and rolled one up.

I can't relate to you the deep conviction I was under, but I heard Him speak to me (maybe that was easier under the influence ) - and He said two things to me...

1. You're my son, and I love you VERY much

2. Don't ever do that again.

In short, I don't want anything that clouds my spirit from communion with Him, or change my personality from the way He created me to be.
Yes, I was just going to say that the Holy Spirit will keep believers away from such things as pot, cigarettes and drunkedness. The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and such habits do not glorify God in any way. I stuggeled to give up cigarettes, but while I was trying I knew with perfect clarity that God wanted me to quit. The Holy Spirit kicked me in the butt every time I bought a new pack. That is one thing the Holy Spirit will do to believers, He will make you very sensitive to sin, and he will let you know when you are doing something you are not supposed to be doing.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I was just going to say that the Holy Spirit will keep believers away from such things as pot, cigarettes and drunkedness. The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and ...
Yes, that body within which we are all members in particular, Christ being the head of the body; is the new Temple of God.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Yes, the 'body of Christ' of which we are all members in particular. The hand can not say to the feet "We have no need of you", the eyes are needed as much as the ears are needed. Each one of us is a member of that 'body of Christ' the new 'temple' that is made a new 'creation'.

But the passages which speak of this 'body' and 'temple' have nothing to do with anyone's personal body.
Yes, it has EVERYTHING to do with your personal physical body and NOTHING to do with the church, the body of Christ. Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Yes, I was just going to say that the Holy Spirit will keep believers away from such things as pot, cigarettes and drunkedness. The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and such habits do not glorify God in any way. I stuggeled to give up cigarettes, but while I was trying I knew with perfect clarity that God wanted me to quit. The Holy Spirit kicked me in the butt every time I bought a new pack. That is one thing the Holy Spirit will do to believers, He will make you very sensitive to sin, and he will let you know when you are doing something you are not supposed to be doing.
I think maybe God, if he exists, might keep some believers away from pot, cigarettes, and drunkeness - but I think that is a blanket and fairly erroneous statement. I know plenty of believers that smoke pot, smoke cigarettes, and drink. And yes -they are believers. I think people confuse their personal experiences with being the experience of all believers.
And I am not a believer- yet I have never smoked pot or cigarettes, and I only drink in moderation. What does that mean? Does that mean that God keeps non-believers away from such things?
I just re read my post - I'm not trying to be argumentative - merely making a point that all people all different - whether they are believers or non-believers. Some smoke pot, some don't. It isn't like only non-believers smoke pot and believers don't. You might want to think that - but it simply isn't true.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, it has EVERYTHING to do with your personal physical body and NOTHING to do with the church, the body of Christ. Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
I know of many Bible passages which explain this to be the body of Christ, the temple of God.

Do you have any which explain it to be your physical body?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think maybe God, if he exists, might keep some believers away from pot, cigarettes, and drunkeness - but I think that is a blanket and fairly erroneous statement. I know plenty of believers that smoke pot, smoke cigarettes, and drink. And yes -they are believers. I think people confuse their personal experiences with being the experience of all believers.
And I am not a believer- yet I have never smoked pot or cigarettes, and I only drink in moderation. What does that mean? Does that mean that God keeps non-believers away from such things?
I just re read my post - I'm not trying to be argumentative - merely making a point that all people all different - whether they are believers or non-believers. Some smoke pot, some don't. It isn't like only non-believers smoke pot and believers don't. You might want to think that - but it simply isn't true.
Different Christians feel they are 'convicted' of different things.

I know some Christians who have been strongly 'convicted' that alcohol is evil; while I know other Christians who hold strong convictions that alcohol is given to us by God and that man is to enjoy it.

In my experience it has a great deal to do with which denomination you attend, as to which way God will 'convict' you.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I believe I'd rather have someone smoking pot and driving than someone drinking and driving...but with that said, I don't consider smoking pot any worse than someone drinking....all in moderation and stay off the road.

I personally prefer mary jane over booze any day...simply for the absense of the next day side effects alone.
Reminded me of that Tom Petty song "Last Dance With Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain...ain...ain"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity