Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 AM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times

Advertisements

Census also puts Delaware in the south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Not the ones in the middle that border on the Atlantic?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Again, not everyone's definition of Mid Atlantic excludes the South. Is it part of the Northeast, part of the Southeast, overlapping both, or is it part of neither the Northeast nor the Southeast but its own region? Different people have different opinions on this. I consider the Mid Atlantic to be part of the Northeast, and therefore Virginia to me is not part of the Mid Atlantic. I suspect those who include Virginia in their definition of the Mid Atlantic tend to think of the Mid Atlantic as being part of the northeast and southeast (overlapping the two regions) or its own region apart from either the northeast or the southeast. Again, see your thread in the Hampton Roads forum for the opinions of people who live in southeastern Virginia.
I think North/South is the wrong way to look at it. The Mid Atlantic is really a combination of both. At the end of the day, Newport News, VA and Newark, NJ are part of the same region. They are both culturally Mid Atlantic. No question about it.

And if you look at the Baltimore forum, a majority of respondents don't view themselves as "northeastern." So in that sense, Baltimore and Richmond are quite similar.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rn-city-8.html

I doubt you would see a similar result in the Philly forum, for example.

Besides, if a city has rowhouses, you can rest assured its not in the South. Richmond also had industry much like Baltimore. You can see its industrial heritage when passing through on I-95.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:54 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Maryland is a northeastern state with some southeastern influences.

Outside of NOVA, Virginia is a southeastern state with some northeastern influences.

That is the demarcation and the difference.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Maryland and Virginia are both Mid Atlantic states with strong northeastern influences. Historically, these two states have been fused together at the hip. The same is still true today. The metros in both states are economically linked by the Northeast Regional.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Also, Petersburg, VA is where I-95 becomes 3 to 4 lanes. As I'm driving from the South, I feel like I'm passing through the Gateway to the Northeast. It's nothing but VA, MD, PA, NJ and NY tags at that point. And the traffic is bonkers, which signifies I'm entering the fast-paced East Coast.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default Middle Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Again, not everyone's definition of Mid Atlantic excludes the South. Is it part of the Northeast, part of the Southeast, overlapping both, or is it part of neither the Northeast nor the Southeast but its own region? Different people have different opinions on this. I consider the Mid Atlantic to be part of the Northeast, and therefore Virginia to me is not part of the Mid Atlantic. I suspect those who include Virginia in their definition of the Mid Atlantic tend to think of the Mid Atlantic as being part of the northeast and southeast (overlapping the two regions) or its own region apart from either the northeast or the southeast. Again, see your thread in the Hampton Roads forum for the opinions of people who live in southeastern Virginia.

That is true. Places close to one another are usually more similar to one another than places much farther apart, even if there is a regional boundary between them. Richmond is more similar to DC (100 miles away) than it is to Savannah (500 miles away) or Birmingham (nearly 700 miles away).

Richmond is also more similar to Raleigh or Greensboro than it is to Bangor ME or Burlington VT.
Turns out the bolded is true. The Mid-Atlantic is where the Northeast and Southeast come together. And its been like that for a long time.

The oldest map I have seen on the Mid-Atlantic (Map of 1872, Middle Atlantic States )dates to 1872 and shows the Mid-Atlantic as everything from New York to Virginia.

In addition, a few years later US geographer James Monteith created a 1883 map of the Mid-Atlantic Map which again shows everything from New York to Virginia. Both maps also include West Virginia as Middle Atlantic.

This gives us several clues.....

* The Census definition probably is from a older more original version of the Middle Atlantic (Mid-Atlantic = Middle State = Middle Colony).
* However the term "Middle States" were already expanding southward in the mid 1800s and possibly earlier.
* Since these old maps were right after after the Civil War, its obvious that Virginia was still a Southern state and so being part of the North was not necessary to be considered Middle Atlantic.
* North Carolina was not part of the Middle Atlantic

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think North/South is the wrong way to look at it. The Mid Atlantic is really a combination of both. At the end of the day, Newport News, VA and Newark, NJ are part of the same region. They are both culturally Mid Atlantic. No question about it.

And if you look at the Baltimore forum, a majority of respondents don't view themselves as "northeastern." So in that sense, Baltimore and Richmond are quite similar.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rn-city-8.html

I doubt you would see a similar result in the Philly forum, for example.

Besides, if a city has rowhouses, you can rest assured its not in the South. Richmond also had industry much like Baltimore. You can see its industrial heritage when passing through on I-95.
You crack me up dude!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
If Buffalo, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Charleston, WV are Mid-Atlantic, than Spokane, Phoenix, Tucson, and Salt Lake City are West Coast.

I feel that both regions (Mid-Atlantic and West Coast) should be applied to specific cities and towns, and not to states.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
I consider the Chesapeake Bay and Delmarva to be the core Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.