Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times

Advertisements

Am employed in Oklahoma and WE dont hire based on spanish speaking.
Like the other poster said,,, why should we cater to their DEMANDS......
and that is what it is....demands.....

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
"Embracing Spanish"

Why do I have to embrace a language other than English? It is NOT progress to kowtow to the political correctness of multi-culturalism when it comes to common language.

People are free to practice their culture - religion - language in their homes, teach them to their children - and take pride in their heritage.

When you enter the United States work force - the schools - the municipal buildings - the highways - the marketplace - speak AND read ENGLISH.

This country was built on the concept of a "melting pot" - people coming from many places and many backrounds to become AMERICANS - it seems now some people want to change that concept to a "Fruit Salad" where all the parts mix yet stay seperate and different.

How many languages to you think we should all EMBRACE? There are over a BILLION Chinese people in the world - should we embrace all those dialects as well? What if we get a huge influx of Korean immigrants - do you want to press "3" for Korean?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
"Embracing Spanish"

Why do I have to embrace a language other than English? It is NOT progress to kowtow to the political correctness of multi-culturalism when it comes to common language.

People are free to practice their culture - religion - language in their homes, teach them to their children - and take pride in their heritage.

When you enter the United States work force - the schools - the municipal buildings - the highways - the marketplace - speak AND read ENGLISH.

This country was built on the concept of a "melting pot" - people coming from many places and many backrounds to become AMERICANS - it seems now some people want to change that concept to a "Fruit Salad" where all the parts mix yet stay seperate and different.

How many languages to you think we should all EMBRACE? There are over a BILLION Chinese people in the world - should we embrace all those dialects as well? What if we get a huge influx of Korean immigrants - do you want to press "3" for Korean?
As Grasonville stated.

This is the USA------if I lived in Mexico I would make damn sure to learn Spanish and follow Mexican law and custom------likewise I expect the legal Mexicans living here to do the same (the illegals have the same rights as any other lawbreaker).

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
I am still waiting for your comments...
Read my Post #173.

I have no problem offering services in Spanish (or any other major language) to business people and tourists, etc.

As for legal residents; we did not kowtow to the Italian immigrants, etc. 100 odd years ago so we have no need to do the same for the Spanish speakers today.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 AM

185 posts, read 355,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
The time has come to embrace Spanish, we have more Spanish speking people than Spain (approx. 60 million people), by far the preferred language
of study in schools other than english (appprox. 55% of students choose
Spanish in school), also Spanish has been spoken in our country for over 100
years before the first english settlements(St. Augustine, FL, the nation's oldest city precedes the pilgrims for more than 100 years), in view of all
these, why would we be amazed about the increasing presence of Spanish in our culture?
The ONLY reason Spanish is spreading is because 30+ million Spanish speaking people have invaded the country.

When millions of German, Italian, Irish came here we didn't have to cater to them because they respected America and embraced all it has to offer.

We have been occupied by belligerent, demanding foreign nationals. Letting their culture spread across the country like a cancer and adopting their language is akin to surrender.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM

162 posts, read 326,278 times
You must be jealous since you dont speak other languages but English. I speak Italian, Spanish and English of course. I have too much fun interacting with people from all over the world doing business with America. I talk to our customers in their native language most of the time, some other coworkers speaks French and German... The result, we deliver first quality customer service, and we all are happy. Are we losing our American values because of other languages? No, at all. There is no invasion, America is not alone in this world.
God bless America.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,453 times
what ever happen to the days where speaking 2 languages was cool?I mean i remember going to school and learning another language was actually a good thing moving forward in life.I don't understand how learning another language whether it's french,chinese,spanish can hury anyone.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You must be jealous since you dont speak other languages but English. I speak Italian, Spanish and English of course. I have too much fun interacting with people from all over the world doing business with America. I talk to our customers in their native language most of the time, some other coworkers speaks French and German... The result, we deliver first quality customer service, and we all are happy. Are we losing our American values because of other languages? No, at all. There is no invasion, America is not alone in this world.
God bless America.
Jealous?

I am not interested in learning another language.

If I needed to do so; trust me, I would step up and learn the tongue needed for the country in question.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
A while back I was in Sears. Two spanish speaking women with two small children were trying to decide on a choice of candy to purchase. They conversed back and forth while the YOUNG LATINA girl waited patiently. They then decided what they wanted and spoke in SPANISH to the girl who acted like she did not understand. She said "I'm sorry and shrugged her sholders. Anyway, they pointed to the item,paid and left. I said to the girl," Your LATINA, right?"' she replied-yes. I said, why did'nt you reply to them in SPANISH. Her answer was--- "They have been in the US over two years and it is about time they learn to speak ENGLISH". This incident happened over 20 yrs ago and store policy has probably changed since then. Today she might be FIRED. It all comes down to speaking more then just ENGLISH. I am trilingual but still feel that ENGLISH being the 1st language of the country should have the PRIORITY during daily communication. Imagine a person who speaks Polish or say Russian having a Medical Emergency and trying to call for help with their problem and the OPERATER on the phone does not understand. Stefhen

Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM

185 posts, read 355,311 times
Quote:
God bless America.
30-40 MILLION illegal aliens is the largest invasion in the history of mankind.

No healthy sovereign nation on earth would allow this to happen. The following from a country that has immigration under control.

THE FOLLOWING IMMIGRATION LAWS SHOULD BE ENACTED......

1 There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
2. All ballots will be in this nation's language.
3.. All government business will be conducted in our language.
4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long
they are here.
5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office.
6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no
food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs.
Any burden will be deported.
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount
at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
8. If foreigners come here and buy land... Options will be
restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved
for citizens naturally born into this country.
9.. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of
a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president
or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively
hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be
arranged. All assets will be taken from you..

Harsh, you say?.......

The above laws are the current immigration laws of MEXICO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration