Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which is English as far as geographical distribution is concerned-----outside of Spain/Latin American, there is little 'need' for Spanish.
I speak it on a regular basis and more of it than English every Wed. morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As usual, I am just ahead of myself...

Actually, Mandarin is #1. BTW, I am not a dude.

By 2030, Spanish Will Be the World's Second Most Widely Spoken Language After Chinese - Outclassing English - Softpedia

Better just get used to it.
Don't count your chickens till they hatch--------especially with the crumbling economy. More and more illegals (most of whom hail from Mexico/Central America) are self deporting due to both much stricter ICE enforcement as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Don't count your chickens till they hatch--------especially with the crumbling economy. More and more illegals (most of whom hail from Mexico/Central America) are self deporting due to both much stricter ICE enforcement as well.
Irrespective, they are producing way more than we are (us northern Europeans). Come what may, no matter where they are, Spanish will overtake English as a language. Why, just today, the Andrade family were seven of them!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 PM

307 posts, read 522,091 times
Quote:
As usual, I am just ahead of myself...

Actually, Mandarin is #1. BTW, I am not a dude.

By 2030, Spanish Will Be the World's Second Most Widely Spoken Language After Chinese - Outclassing English - Softpedia

Better just get used to it.

ROFLMAO You site as a source, a future prediction 22 years from now, made by a Hispanic speaking to Hispanics. Sorry. Hardly an accurate or unbiased source. Let deal with the here and now and REAL information. Spanish will not get you as far as English, Mandarin, Arabic, let alone many other areas of education.

“The eminent academic Humberto López Morales (who has Cuban roots, lived for a long time in Puerto Rico and received Spanish citizenship) stated at the opening of a seminar organized in Buenos Aires, the Argentinian capital, by the Spanish Embassy – and coinciding with the visit of Spain’s Deputy Prime Minister….”

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
ROFLMAO You site as a source, a future prediction 22 years from now, made by a Hispanic speaking to Hispanics. Sorry. Hardly an accurate or unbiased source. Let deal with the here and now and REAL information. Spanish will not get you as far as English, Mandarin, Arabic, let alone many other areas of education.

“The eminent academic Humberto López Morales (who has Cuban roots, lived for a long time in Puerto Rico and received Spanish citizenship) stated at the opening of a seminar organized in Buenos Aires, the Argentinian capital, by the Spanish Embassy – and coinciding with the visit of Spain’s Deputy Prime Minister….”
Whatever. When I apply to grad school next year I already have a leg up and ONLY because I speak Spanish. Well, an MBA doesn't hurt either. It's common sense that the more skills a person has to offer, including foreign languages, the more marketable that person is.

Go ahead in your little ethnocentric world thinking the US is all that and that you don't have to pay any attention to anyone else. See how far that gets you down the road. It's only a matter of time (and it's probably already happened) that your little SQL and accounting jobs have already been OUTSOURCED to India (courtesy of MBAs who made that call), and I know you don't speak their language. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Irrespective, they are producing way more than we are (us northern Europeans). Come what may, no matter where they are, Spanish will overtake English as a language. Why, just today, the Andrade family were seven of them!
The MAJORITY of immigrants to the US in the past arrived not speaking English. How did it happen that their languages didn't overtake English? Were they just "good learners"? Not too attached to their own cultures? Just didn't MIND learning English? Did some sort of 'respect' toward the US drive them to learn English? Was it a desire to communicate with the 'locals'?

Why were all these diverse immigrants in the past, so different from today's Spanish-speaking immigrants?

What prompted you to mention "us Northern Europeans?".... How about "us Southern Eurpopeans"..or "us Africans"..or "us Asians"? Don't we ALL pretty much use English, those of "us" who've assimilated into US society? Believe it or not, even some of "us Hispanics" have made that leap....Honest!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The MAJORITY of immigrants to the US in the past arrived not speaking English. How did it happen that their languages didn't overtake English? Were they just "good learners"? Not too attached to their own cultures? Just didn't MIND learning English? Did some sort of 'respect' toward the US drive them to learn English? Was it a desire to communicate with the 'locals'?

Why were all these diverse immigrants in the past, so different from today's Spanish-speaking immigrants?
They did not arrive in the numbers these people are arriving in, for one thing. They had to cross an ocean and not merely a strip of land. Dare I say that Hispanics procreate a LOT?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM

307 posts, read 522,091 times
Quote:
Whatever. When I apply to grad school next year I already have a leg up and ONLY because I speak Spanish. Well, an MBA doesn't hurt either. It's common sense that the more skills a person has to offer, including foreign languages, the more marketable that person is.

Go ahead in your little ethnocentric world thinking the US is all that and that you don't have to pay any attention to anyone else. See how far that gets you down the road. It's only a matter of time (and it's probably already happened) that your little SQL and accounting jobs have already been OUTSOURCED to India, and I know you don't speak their language. Good luck.
Obviously you have a problem with Chinese people since you seem to dislike learning the worlds best known language after saying earlier that one should do just that. What do you have against them to take such a Racist attitude.

Quote:
It's always best to speak the language that the majority of the world speaks.
By the way, I'm not ethnocentric. I'm a realist. I already admitted Mandarin would be a better choice. I have said go ahead and learn Spanish. It won't get you as far as learning Mandarin or Arabic, let alone a dozen other areas of knowledge. I never said not to study it.

Random

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
....... This may in fact backfire on him.
Nothing seems to backfire. No matter how outrageous. It's really wierd.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Obviously you have a problem with Chinese people since you seem to dislike learning the worlds best known language after saying earlier that one should do just that. What do you have against them to take such a Racist attitude.

By the way, I'm not ethnocentric. I'm a realist. I already admitted Mandarin would be a better choice. I have said go ahead and learn Spanish. It won't get you as far as learning Mandarin or Arabic, let alone a dozen other areas of knowledge. I never said not to study it.

Random
I have no problem with Chinese. I have had several Chinese bosses and they are very smart. I've also worked with a lot of Indians and they are very smart as well. This is how I know, first hand, about how all this stuff is getting outsourced, at least with respect to India. I worked for someone who has been integral to getting Wells Fargo operations moved to India. There is no need to learn Mandarin, as Chinese people are quite well versed in English, at least all the ones I worked with in San Francisco. Not to mention that fact that Chinese is a tonal language and not easily learned like Spanish. The everyday Joe, OTOH, will have a need for Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration