Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Are you suggesting some illegals are more or less desirable than others.
No I'm not,but the truth is that Illegals from different places would have a different impact..An Illegal from a higher socio-economic level,different culture,values would leave a different impact.Even Illegals from Latin America from a higher socio-economic background wouls have a different impact.Our Immigration laws are for all immigrants,it's because of our geographic location that those nearest make up the vast majority of the offenders.All foreigners coming in should do so legally.Those that break the laws should all be dealt with equally.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
My friends went to Sweden, got mugged, and when they went to the police they were completely useless and they said openly, "we don't help Americans here."
It's a small world. I had a friend (grumpy sort of guy) who went to the Unemployment office in Santa Ana (CA) last month, and claims to have gotten EXACTLY the same response.

Was he exaggerating?....probably (as I said, he CAN get a bit grumpy)...

Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am one who suggested the deportation of equal numbers of Mexicans. The Haitians are truly in need; whereas, Mexican illegals are only here for higher pay and our generous freebies. If our government decides to accept hundreds of thousands of Haitians, I am not advocating going door-to-door seeking Mexican illegals. However, I do believe we should deport those currently being housed in detention centers to accommodate the refugees. We do not have infinite resources, and I would prefer our tax dollars be used to help the Haitians, rather than continue to support massive numbers of Mexicans in this country illegally. I assure you, my feelings are not motivated by my shared African ancestry. I would feel the same had this tragedy occurred in Guatemala.
I agree that Haitians are in real need and I am in full support to bring them in, give them proper medical care, especially when there are children involved. However, you have the wrong idea about Mexicans. This current wave of immigrants...the majority are indigenous. They are not economically stable. They are in real need. I know as I have lived among them for years. This past christmas my sister met a family that had nothing for christmas. No blankets, few clothes, no TV, no table to eat, etc. They were sleeping on the cold floor. Call me what you want but I gave them my mattress to sleep on and between my sister and I, we gave them some christmas presents for the children. They are not here for the freebies if that is what you think. They took nothing from the government or social services. They are here to work. Like them, there are many. Its the ones that do take that give the rest a bad name.

Furthermore, If your assessment was based on who comes from a more wealthier country, why didnt you pick Canadians when they make the top 5 majority illegal immigrants in this country and are the wealthiest? I am by no means implying that I want Canadians deported instead of Mexicans. I'm just trying to make sense of your post. I simply dont. I dont because every other post I read from you, you call them the most extreme names I have heard on the board. You call them ingrate, racist, you post about Mexicans and their children here in the US...irregardless of legal status or citizenship, the list goes on. It has been my observation that at least once in a post, there was a story about a child who was brought from South America, you immediately posted on Mexico and how Mexico should pay for it. Mexico had nothing to do with this story. Personally, I dont think you have ever met an illegal immigrant from Mexico. I am opening up to you Benicar, with all sincerity. I fear that your discontent goes beyond simply illegal immigration...but that is just my opinion based on what I read from you. I am reaching out to you and keeping an open mind. Will you do the same? Illegal immigration is a problem that was created by both governments. It is they who should be blamed and not illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants will do what ever the government decides to do. If we deport, they will go. If we legalize, they will stay. They are stying put because they are waiting on a final decision from our government but the government will not deport them because they know how much they depend on illegal immigrants to continue to keep the economy afloat. Lets stop this Mexican illegal immigrant bashing. The real crooks are the governments. I know you are smart to realize that.

In regards to deporting those that are in detention centers...there is a process and it needs to be followed according to the law. They are there for a reason so lets wait and let them do their job. We have reached this point because our government ignored our laws, now we must pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I do not support the deportation of Haitians. However, TPS status is seldom temporary. Why can’t we simply halt those deportations until some semblance of stability has been restored in Haiti? Of course any children born here will automatically receive U.S. citizenship; which will make it virtually impossible for any Haitians protected by TPS to ever leave.
Have you ever been a victim of a natural disaster? I pray that you dont but believe me, it is not fun. I have and while my life was at risk, the damages were minimal compared to Haiti. It takes years for construction of schools, goverment buildings, homes, etc. to be functioning. I remember that many homes where I lived, four years after where still on the ground and many of the survivers were still living on loaned trailers. If we are going to help, we need to understand that this is going to take a long time. It will not be fixed within a few months.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 AM

335 posts, read 328,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Lets stop this Mexican illegal immigrant bashing. The real crooks are the governments.
We'll stop the Mexican illegal immigrant bashing when the millions of illegal immigrants from Mexico who are currently in the United States, and violating law after law after law, go back to Mexico where they belong. The same goes for all non-Mexican illegal immigrants who are here.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 AM

744 posts, read 1,210,028 times
No zacatecana, the real crooks are anyone who breaks the law. Let's not start making diversions to the truth. The illegals come here and have already broken 1 law and what makes the rest fo us so sure that they will not have any problem breaking more. I live in San Antonio and honestly feel that the Mexican culture is a good thing to see, and would have no problem with people moving here to get a better life as long as they did it legally. I have said before I can not go to another country, and demand services that I as an American do not rate. Also if the vast majority of the Mexicans that came here would try to learn english and assimilate into the population I would not have a problem with that either. I was stationed in Japan for 2 years while I was in the Marine Corps and when ever I called a local business they did not have the prompt to press one for english because they did not have to. I am not saying all Mexicans, because I work with several who went through the legal immigration route and they to are upset to see their former countrymen(women) breaking the law.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Oh please.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...hotblondes.jpg

If women who looked like that flooded the country, no one in the country would complain. No one. In fact, many would see it as desirable.
HOLY MOTHER****!

That girl looks JUST LIKE MY FRIENDS SISTER!

****, I think it might just be her. I should ask her..

Amazing!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
The implied race card. The weapon of those with no viable argument or rebuttal.
If the majority of illegals were Thai nationals I would demand and expect them all to be held accountable and deported and I really love the Thai people.
The fact of the matter is race, nation of origin or religion is not the issue.
The issue is that they are criminals.
Once again. Mexicans are called out because they are the majority of the criminal illegals. All illegals being criminals.. Add to the problem is the apparent support illegal Mexicans enjoy from the hispanic community.

Last edited by tinman01; 01-19-2010 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
I agree that Haitians are in real need and I am in full support to bring them in, give them proper medical care, especially when there are children involved. However, you have the wrong idea about Mexicans. This current wave of immigrants...the majority are indigenous. They are not economically stable. They are in real need. I know as I have lived among them for years. This past christmas my sister met a family that had nothing for christmas. No blankets, few clothes, no TV, no table to eat, etc. They were sleeping on the cold floor. Call me what you want but I gave them my mattress to sleep on and between my sister and I, we gave them some christmas presents for the children. They are not here for the freebies if that is what you think. They took nothing from the government or social services. They are here to work. Like them, there are many. Its the ones that do take that give the rest a bad name.
I have the wrong idea about Mexican illegal aliens? Really? I have the wrong idea about them marching in our streets waving the Mexican flag, while they DEMAND legalization? I have the wrong idea about them crossing our border for the sole purpose of giving birth to a U.S. citizen? I have the wrong idea about them calling us suckers? I have the wrong idea about them carrying signs “This Is OUR Land,” “Gringos Go Home,” “We Didn’t Cross The Border, The Border Crossed Us?” I have the wrong idea about them stealing IDs, and using them for personal gain? I have the wrong idea about them desecrating the U.S. flag? I have the wrong idea about them admitting to coming here to save enough money to buy a house or start a business in Mexico? I don’t think so. I could continue, but I think you catch my drift.

I realize many Mexicans who flee to this country are poor. There are also many citizens of this country without a bed to sleep on, food to eat, and who are too poor to buy Christmas toys for their children. There are poor throughout this world. While I certainly have compassion, I also realize we cannot support all of the worlds' impoverished, or allow them to live in this country. Call me selfish, but I believe we are first obligated to help our own.

Quote:
Furthermore, If your assessment was based on who comes from a more wealthier country, why didnt you pick Canadians when they make the top 5 majority illegal immigrants in this country and are the wealthiest? I am by no means implying that I want Canadians deported instead of Mexicans. I'm just trying to make sense of your post. I simply dont. I dont because every other post I read from you, you call them the most extreme names I have heard on the board. You call them ingrate, racist, you post about Mexicans and their children here in the US...irregardless of legal status or citizenship, the list goes on. It has been my observation that at least once in a post, there was a story about a child who was brought from South America, you immediately posted on Mexico and how Mexico should pay for it. Mexico had nothing to do with this story. Personally, I dont think you have ever met an illegal immigrant from Mexico. I am opening up to you Benicar, with all sincerity. I fear that your discontent goes beyond simply illegal immigration...but that is just my opinion based on what I read from you. I am reaching out to you and keeping an open mind. Will you do the same? Illegal immigration is a problem that was created by both governments. It is they who should be blamed and not illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants will do what ever the government decides to do. If we deport, they will go. If we legalize, they will stay. They are stying put because they are waiting on a final decision from our government but the government will not deport them because they know how much they depend on illegal immigrants to continue to keep the economy afloat. Lets stop this Mexican illegal immigrant bashing. The real crooks are the governments. I know you are smart to realize that.
My assessment was not based on the wealth of the home country. It was based on sheer numbers. We have far more Mexican illegal aliens than any other nationality. If I’m not mistaken, there are more Mexican illegals here than all other countries combined. Therefore, I believe if we need room in detention centers, we should start with them.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I do not consider my descriptions of illegal alien Mexicans as being “extreme.” I have NEVER denigrated Mexican-Americans. That is simply NOT true. Perhaps you have me confused with another poster, I really don’t know. Nor do I arbitrarily assign blame to Mexican illegals for every incident involving illegal aliens. If we are going to engage in meaningful dialogue as least be honest.

I have witnessed enough racism from Mexican illegal aliens toward black Americans to comment on their racism. As a matter of fact, I have been told by numerous blacks that they have NEVER experienced the level of racism they receive from Mexican illegals, not even in the Deep South during Jim Crow. It takes a heck of a lot of nerve to live in a country illegally, yet have the audacity to feel superior to citizens. I am also aware of the racism that exists in their country. Even their former president publicly made derogatory comments about black Americans. So please don’t tell me that none of them are racists. I have also witnessed enough ungrateful behavior to aptly describe them as ingrates. They simply do not have the same mindset as Mexican-Americans, or the previous Mexican illegals. This group has a delusional sense of entitlement, and their arrogance is well-documented.

I agree that both governments and the employers of illegals are equally complicit. However, I do not agree that illegal aliens are simply innocent victims. Nor do I agree that we need them to “keep our economy afloat.” I know many poor citizens who have NEVER resorted to crime to feed their families. That’s a copout. Therefore, I consider all of them (government, employers, illegals) the “real crooks.”

Quote:
In regards to deporting those that are in detention centers...there is a process and it needs to be followed according to the law. They are there for a reason so lets wait and let them do their job. We have reached this point because our government ignored our laws, now we must pay for it.
I am always astonished when an illegal alien sympathizer mentions our need to “follow the law” whenever it involves our deportation process, or anything that may benefit illegals. Yet, there is NEVER a demand for illegal aliens to “follow the law.”

Quote:
Have you ever been a victim of a natural disaster? I pray that you dont but believe me, it is not fun. I have and while my life was at risk, the damages were minimal compared to Haiti. It takes years for construction of schools, goverment buildings, homes, etc. to be functioning. I remember that many homes where I lived, four years after where still on the ground and many of the survivers were still living on loaned trailers. If we are going to help, we need to understand that this is going to take a long time. It will not be fixed within a few months.
Thankfully, I have never been the victim of a natural disaster, and I pray I never am. I have the utmost compassion for the Haitian earthquake victims, and any other victims of catastrophes. How could anyone with a heart not feel for them? First, you accused me of having a preference for Haitians over Mexican illegals on the basis of race. Now, you are accusing me of not having the ability to empathize with their plight.

The devastation in Haiti is heart-wrenching; and I realize it will take many years, if ever, to rebuild. I have already stated that I have no issue with us halting deportations, or helping them in any possible manner. I’m not sure why you are trying to portray me as being heartless.

Bottom line. I vehemently oppose illegal immigration; and I don’t care what color, race, ethnicity, or nationality they may be. Therefore, I will continue to express my disdain, and it may not always be to your liking. I’m not on this board to win a popularity contest. I am here to share information, learn from others, and debate the issues. I have nothing against Mexican-Americans, or the Mexicans who live in their country. However, I would be lying if I said I do not feel contempt for those who choose to live in this country illegally.

It is not my intent to offend any member of this forum. If I have, I offer my sincere apology. I try to debate the topics in a rational manner. However, I am also human. As such, I have on occasion lost my temper when dealing with certain obnoxious posters. I have learned it’s best to simply ignore them. However, I refuse to sugarcoat this issue. There is only one position I have taken on this forum that I regret, and that involved the Salvation Army toy drive and illegal alien children. I embrace ALL children, and I admit I allowed my utter disdain for their parents to cloud my judgment. Other than that, I stand by my comments.

Yes, I am VERY angry; and it takes quite a bit to rile me. My anger is equally distributed between our government, employers of illegals, the Mexican government, and illegal aliens. However, I do not hate illegal aliens, Mexican or otherwise. I do, however, hate what illegal immigration has done to this country. I’m sick of it, and I want it to end. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Needless to say: if here illegally------------leave! That applies to anybody (Mexican, Swedish, Irish, Polish, Chinese, Hungarian, etc) with the possible exception of illegals from Haiti. The latter have no homeland at the moment and would be better off in internment camps here in the USA till things stabilize.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
One thing that galls me is when the pro-illegals say "well our government is responsible for this problem so now we as American citizens have to suffer the consquences by allowing the illegals to stay". I vehemently disagree with that. We could have dealt with a few illegals a couple of decades ago when there weren't that many but now it has reached critical proportions and has even changed the demographics in some areas of our nation. The government is supposed to uphold our laws and represent us. Well they didn't and I for one object to being forced to accept this mess on a permanent basis because of their lax in enforcing our immigration laws and their total disregard of their duty to American citizens on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration