Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 22,296 times

Advertisements

Nice to see so many positive posts and I know there are problems everywhere, but nonetheless councilor j's posts are making me a bit nervous...

I just want to be sure I can find an affordable apt and searching online hasn't come up with much at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithornlantEruiel View Post
Nice to see so many positive posts and I know there are problems everywhere, but nonetheless councilor j's posts are making me a bit nervous...

I just want to be sure I can find an affordable apt and searching online hasn't come up with much at all...
Dont worry. Farmington is a safe area, just stay away from drugs and you are fine. Check the www.city-data.com website and type in Farmington and see the statistics. There are around 2 or 3 murders a year and usually that is drug related. That isnt much for a city this big.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 22,296 times
Yeah, I live in a city of about 19,000 right now and its pretty much the same, lol

Old 10-07-2007, 02:02 AM

9 posts, read 65,618 times
I am a little late to this thread, Kallista it was a pleasure reading your reports on your experiences. I really like Aztec and yes the badge toter's can be a little over zealous. Cafe Bonito - Authintic Tast of the Southwest in the "Ms Gails Inn" hotel is the hot spot for lunch and wi-fi in Aztec.

I_LUVNM - Thanks for your words of wisdom and perspective. I have always believed that no matter where you are or what your surroundings it is what you make of it, good or bad.

I have lived here in San Juan County just over a year now and I have to say that the people in general are by far some of the friendliest I have met in any community. Of course that might just be me, as I am a likable kind of guy. <grin> especially after a couple of IPA's at the local micro brew. 3RB RULES. and after a 3RB Burger at the Eatery who wouldn't be happy enough to be friendly.

Yes, Farmington has it all. Diversity of people, events and places to go. Best of all for the outdoors type our back yard is 88,000 acres.

Last edited by 1of3; 10-07-2007 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: added thoughts...

Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
Default Question about Farmington, New Mexico

I am contemplating a move to Farmington. I ask that you forgive my ignorance, but is it beneficial for one to be bilingual in Farmington? How large is the non English speaking community, within a one hundred mile radius of Farmington? I want to effectively communicate with everyone. Should I sign up for Spanish classes, prior to moving? I thank you in advance, for your response.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
I don't live in New Mexico, but I have been going there for 40 years(for years, I lived not far away in Colorado). I think that about the only people in New Mexico who can't speak English are the same people who can't speak English anywhere else in the U.S.: recent immigrants (legal or otherwise) to this country. Every native New Mexican I have know speaks English quite well. If someone does not speak English to you in New Mexico, it is probably because they don't WANT to, not because they can't. I admire people who are multi-lingual and many New Mexicans are. I am somewhat bilingual (English and Spanish). Two other things--many northern New Mexico residents speak a 16th Century version of Castilian Spanish. That area was geographically isolated for so long, the Spanish dialects spoken there never modernized. As far as Farmington goes, it sits right next to the Navajo Reservation. I know very few non-Navajos who speak their language. As most people know, it is not a written language, either. (That's why the WWII Navajo code-talkers were used, and the code was never broken by the Japanese.)

If you move to New Mexico, you will have to get used to a lot of Spanish place names and words mixed in to conversations (even the cuss words). That is part of the "enchantment" of the Land of Enchantment.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
no you dont have to know spanish to live in or near Farmington,most of the spanish people here are long time natives to New Mexico so they know almost perfect english,They are Spanish and not Mexican,alot of people from other states dont know the difference, but I am starting to see more and more people from Mexico but they usually keep to themselves.another thing is alot of people in New Mexico are half spanish and half white, it is so common here it might as well be its own race, I am one of them, but I hear Navajo spoken more than spanish in that area.but it is nice to be in a mix of people.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,481 times
Default low income housing

I am seriously considering of relocating to Farmington from NE due to the
more diverse population and climate. Looking for housing for the physically
disable.
One that is wheelchair and walker accessible. Went thar last year to visit
my younger brother and enjoyed our visit. Close to the reservation.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 34,561 times
Default Looking at Farmington New Mexico for our neww home

Hello, my boyfriend has been offered the possibility of working with Schlumbereger and we think it is a fabulous opportunity. The only thing is we would have to relocate. They named off a few places and New Mexico is the most interesting to us. We currently live in Pocatello, ID. So, I want to know EVERTHING there is to know about Farmington and Aztec, which would be better for us? We have a 9 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl, so what are the schools like??? How about the crime rate? Whats the weather like, I am sure you dont get snow like we do One of the things pulling me there is the cultures, I like small town feeling and good warm weather. Please give me some input as to where would be a good area to look for a place to live, the school system and everything I cant think of. Thanks!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
hi boelyngirl-
i was born and raised in farmington but haven't lived there in over 20 years, so i won't even try to answer some of your questions regarding schools and such.
despite the name, there really is no farming to speak of in farmington anymore- energy is the big driver of the area economy- oil, natural gas, coal, and electricity generation. also, it's a major retail hub for a huge but relatively sparsely populated area of land. every time i go back for christmas, i'm stunned at how much it has grown since the last time i was there, and by how many new stores there are.
it's right up next to the navajo reservation, and has a fair percentage of navajo and hispanic residents.
the weather is great if you like sun. but with maybe 8 inches total precip/year, it's definitely high desert country. one of my favorite things about it as a teenager was that it was so close to durango, CO, la plata canyon, and lots of other neat places

you should definitely check out this link, if you haven't already:
Farmington, New Mexico (NM) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

also: Home - Farmington Daily Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico