Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM

316 posts, read 437,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Whether it was the search for Cooper or Frein; they do not want to fail. Cooper basically became a folk hero - they do not want that to happen with Frein.
It won't. At worst, he's dead in a cave or some other weird location, and they never find him. The Pocono region will economically suffer tremendously until logic dictates that he's most likely dead somewhere in the forest long after the search is abandoned. This could take a year or two though. After that, he'll become a boogeyman for campfire stories amongst boy scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Although Frein is guilty of killing a police officer.
I missed the trial. When was anyone found guilty of this crime?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I missed the trial. When was anyone found guilty of this crime?
Your right - but the preponderance of evidence points in his direction. He isn't exactly contacting his lawyer to claim that he is innocent. And, yes, sometimes it looks like our police do go out of their way to build a case that might, or might not, be based on facts (like the dirty diaper). Also the $175,000 reward takes us back to the Old West - especially since he was not "proven" guilty. If he does turn up alive; he is going to have a lot of explaining to do and he better have some great excuses. Not too many are considering him innocent at this stage of the investigation.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
It won't. At worst, he's dead in a cave or some other weird location, and they never find him. The Pocono region will economically suffer tremendously until logic dictates that he's most likely dead somewhere in the forest long after the search is abandoned. This could take a year or two though. After that, he'll become a boogeyman for campfire stories amongst boy scouts.
I had an old timer, much older than this 'old' timer, tell me that he found a cave loaded with Indian artifacts. That was in the search area and close to the rattlesnake dens. That old timer used to timber with horses in the beginning of the last century. He also claimed that he never found the cave a second time. He had searched; but forgot to really take note of where it was located when he had stumble upon it's location. It would be interesting if a discovery, like an Indian artifact cave, comes out of this search? Of course it is always possible that the cave was found many years ago and pilfered.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 AM

151 posts, read 183,810 times
Trial! What trial? We don't need no stink 'in trial!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
LOL...While I do not enjoy the subject matter, this thread was very interesting to read.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post
Trial! What trial? We don't need no stink 'in trial!
Unfortunately Eric Frein gets to decide whether there is a trial or not. If he surrenders, there's a trial. If he decides (or has decided) there should be no trial, then he has several ways out.

Either way, we are free to express our opinion on who is guilty of murder in this case, whether or not there is ever a trial.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM

316 posts, read 437,403 times
Quote:
Your right - but the preponderance of evidence points in his direction. He isn't exactly contacting his lawyer to claim that he is innocent. And, yes, sometimes it looks like our police do go out of their way to build a case that might, or might not, be based on facts (like the dirty diaper). Also the $175,000 reward takes us back to the Old West - especially since he was not "proven" guilty. If he does turn up alive; he is going to have a lot of explaining to do and he better have some great excuses. Not too many are considering him innocent at this stage of the investigation.

Damn....175k you say? Is that "Dead or Alive"? Are private citizens permitted to join the manhunt???

Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 AM

151 posts, read 183,810 times
Eric Frein is causing an economic depression in the Poconos? (Really!)

Heck, from what I've seen so far, I'd say Frein is the best economic, 'shot in the arm' to hit the Poconos in many a year. The continuing search for him is the region's principal job opportunity.

Many, if not all, of the area's small businesses are, also, enjoying an economic, 'trickle down effect' from all of the search and news media activity that's still going on. (How'd you like to own one of those always overpriced gas stations in Barrett Township now!) The search for Eric Frein appears to be well on the way to becoming the Pocono area's biggest employer!

Another month of chasing, 'Frein's Ghost' throught the high swamps and dense woods; and the guy's going to become an (albeit nefarious) local legend! Which is, I suspect, one of the goals Frein set for himself before this nightmare began.

In fact it was only yesterday I realized just how, 'porous' the search area actually is! Frein can even, 'hop a train' out 'a there if he wants to! (Years ago that's what a notorious local firebug did in order to set fires all over Monroe County! It took the Stroud Area Police a long time to figure out that their mysterious fire starter was using the Tobyhanna rail line - which, for awhile, runs close to Route 447 - in order to get around.)

Twice now we've driven through the search area without the slightest interruption. One time we ended up, smack dab, in the middle of a state police convoy. Sure, we got tailgated by a large police SUV; but nobody thought to look at us; and, a few days later, we, also, drove through a highly active search area: News media vans, satellite communications vehicles, armored personnel carriers, numerous marked police vehicles, and heavily armed police everywhere; but, somewhat to my surprise, nobody seemed to notice us! (Which I got 'a say I really didn't mind.)

So, I guess what I'm saying is the only way Eric Frein is still hiding, somewhere, in those woods is if he's either an idiot, or seriously mentally incapacitated! Any Boy Scout could easily slip the dragnet.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
Damn....175k you say? Is that "Dead or Alive"? Are private citizens permitted to join the manhunt???
No! Private 'hunters' are not allowed in the search territory - only if you are currently a government employee in the police or fire departments. I guess they don't want the money to stray too far from home.

Did you see that one NewsWatch 16 article: Search Warrants And Letters Give More Details On Frein Investigation | WNEP.com? In that it claimed: "CNN reports that authorities have found a letter from the suspect detailing how he shot the troopers last month and escaped." Frein is amazing running around the wood, avoiding 1000 police in a diaper, and still has time to write! It wasn't just writing; he wrote his confession!

I hope they get him soon. All of this isn't helping the image of our police. We like to think of them as a little more proficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania