Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 04:34 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I agree that the world will turn to alternative energy that is why I stress that Houston is the Energy capital not the oil capital. As the Energy demands change so will the energy companies that are already here. People tend to forget that the same companies that produce oil are the ones who are investing the most into alternatives also. They are not just going to go away when the oil runs out. The idea is energy not just oil. Right now there is a big focus on oil but that is because the demand for oil is high but when demand decreases the Energy companies will change. Don't you think they are intelligent enough to figure this out?? I guarantee you that nobody understands that oil will go away one day better than the oil companies. These huge fortune 500 companies have the intelligence and foresight to make adjustments cot just go away.

Glad you have confidence in oil companies, but I do not and neither do most industries and foreign governments. Hence, Bush and the oil conglomerates wish to drill in the ANWR and more offshore rigs that pollute waterways. The companies that are actually moving towards other options are not oil congloms but new technology firms that have sprouted in Europe (Solar in Germany, wind and wave in the Netherlands and England, thermal in France and Italy) and Israel and many of these companies have located research facilities in Phoenix, and as mentioned before, one of the largest solar "farms" will be in Phoenix.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Hey I used to live in Phoenix and believe me there is a brown haze in Phoenix as well. I think it's mostly particulates but it is pollution. I know that the mountains in the distance are obscured by pollution.

Its is no where near that of Houston or LA, or any city on the top 10. Sorry, but thats just plain fact. And most of the "pollution" in Phoenix originates in the form of particulates, not ozone from car exhaust and industry pollutants. In Phoenix the particulates are caused naturally because we are in a desert and from construction that kicks up dust. New measures have been taken to eliminate the particulates from construction and urban farming that circles the valley. Still, this does not compare to Houston. I have been to Houston many times, and the smog there is thick and heavy and not a haze like in Phoenix, more rather, a blanket.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Fog isn't brown. And Houston is the second most ozone polluted metro region after the L.A. area.

City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

The Houston Government is partisan and has a direct financial incentive to inflate numbers that are positive indicators and deflate numbers that are negative. Every city does this and that is exactly why non-partisan institutions are accurate and reliable.
well you need to take it up with the person that took the picture. He said the area was very foggy and it it looks very similar to that in the mornings.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
well you need to take it up with the person that took the picture. He said the area was very foggy and it it looks very similar to that in the mornings.

I commented on it and did not receive a reply. But having been to Houston, I can personally account for the blanket smog in that city. Phoenix has days that we are under an advisory, but Houston, L.A., and other top 10 most polluted cities are continually under pollution warnings and high smog days. Warnings are much more serious than an advisory. Phoenix has had two days of advisories so far this year. All in May, L.A. and Houston are a whole other story.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
As someone who is familiar with both cities, they are both very similar. They have similar problems and (for me at least) both are cities I don't find very appealing.

Anyway, they both have serious, serious issues with sprawl. Walkable neighborhoods in either city are extremely limited. Both generally lack public transport (although Houston is much better in the loop). Both has serious problems with air quality (Houston has ozone; Phoenix has dust and particulates). Both are too hot. Both are rather visually boring (subjective yes but let's be honest here).

That being said, Houston has a MUCH better economy and business climate. It is filled with more professionals and is about 20 years ahead of Phoenix in terms of urban development (and Houston is at least 20 years behind LA). Houston has many, many more large corporations and has all the ancillary support services that go along with such large corporations (big law positions, high finance, etc). Phoenix is still largely based on real estate, specifically local real estate, and tourism/retirees/temporary residents. Houston has almost zero tourism.

Both cities will be growing a lot in the next 20 or so years. Yet I highly doubt that Phoenix will catch Houston. Energy is too much of a growth industry going forward and the Medical Center down there is also booming. Phoenix, with its focus on sprawl-type real estate development, is largely reliant on an industry that will start to see problems in the long-term (for various reasons).

Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
LOL jd, you are so misinformed. Phoenix's median age for its population is 34. Surpassed only by Austin as one of the youngest cities in the country.
According to this very site, Houston's median age is 31, same as Phoenix. Austin's is 30, along with Dallas. Atlanta's and L.A.'s is 32. Miami's is 38.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
As someone who is familiar with both cities, they are both very similar. They have similar problems and (for me at least) both are cities I don't find very appealing.

Anyway, they both have serious, serious issues with sprawl. Walkable neighborhoods in either city are extremely limited. Both generally lack public transport (although Houston is much better in the loop). Both has serious problems with air quality (Houston has ozone; Phoenix has dust and particulates). Both are too hot. Both are rather visually boring (subjective yes but let's be honest here).

That being said, Houston has a MUCH better economy and business climate. It is filled with more professionals and is about 20 years ahead of Phoenix in terms of urban development (and Houston is at least 20 years behind LA). Houston has many, many more large corporations and has all the ancillary support services that go along with such large corporations (big law positions, high finance, etc). Phoenix is still largely based on real estate, specifically local real estate, and tourism/retirees/temporary residents. Houston has almost zero tourism.

Both cities will be growing a lot in the next 20 or so years. Yet I highly doubt that Phoenix will catch Houston. Energy is too much of a growth industry going forward and the Medical Center down there is also booming. Phoenix, with its focus on sprawl-type real estate development, is largely reliant on an industry that will start to see problems in the long-term (for various reasons).
Another opinionated and wrong post. Phoenix's economy is at most 23% real estate based, where as Houston's over-reliance on the oil industry is in the 50 percentile range. The median income in Phoenix $41,207 and for Houston it is $34,431. I think that speaks for itself. As for Phoenix being boring I disagree to, but that is more opinion.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
According to this very site, Houston's median age is 31, same as Phoenix. Austin's is 30, along with Dallas. Atlanta's and L.A.'s is 32. Miami's is 38.
I just looked at the same numbers. 34, was a while back, today Phoenix is 31.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Another opinionated, non-factually based post. I work with actual data and none of your assertions are founded. I did my undergrad at USC! I wish I would have gone to UCLA, but it was a great experience. Enjoyed my time at Columbia University more.
And you think you're not "opinionated?" You're one of the most opinionated, cocky, know-it-all posters on this forum. Except unlike other know-it-alls, you're usually wrong. That's okay, opinions are like ***'es, everybody has one, as the saying goes. One trend I've noticed in your posts is instead of actually responding to the arguments of the post, you attack the validity of the poster you disagree with, and simply ignore their arguments. You also read everything out of context. For example, the so-called "west coast" traits that I ended with a question mark, as in "smog?" were quoted straight from miamiman's post, who I excerpted. I never said that smog was a characteristic of Phoenix. It's nice to see some other Trojans on this forum, but it's clear you didn't major in English or communications.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
And you think you're not "opinionated?" You're one of the most opinionated, cocky, know-it-all posters on this forum. Except unlike other know-it-alls, you're usually wrong. That's okay, opinions are like ***'es, everybody has one, as the saying goes. One trend I've noticed in your posts is instead of actually responding to the arguments of the post, you attack the validity of the poster you disagree with, and simply ignore their arguments. You also read everything out of context. For example, the so-called "west coast" traits that I ended with a question mark, as in "smog?" were quoted straight from miamiman's post, who I excerpted. I never said that smog was a characteristic of Phoenix. It's nice to see some other Trojans on this forum, but it's clear you didn't major in English or communications.
I don't personally attack people, unlike you when you can't argue fact. And no I didn't major in English and never will. Having grown up mostly outside of the U.S. as a military brat, English wasn't my first langauge and I know my spelling isn't the best, but the spell checker on my aol browser in this forum is not compatible. And my posts are less opinion and more fact as I have stated before. I throw in a little opinion, like I enjoyed Columbia U more so than USC...how is that cocky? I think you are the one who's true colors are showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area