Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
He didn't totally go after them. He came out and visited the area and pledged full support of the federal government in recovery efforts.
California wildfires: President Trump tours CA damage, meets ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/california-wildfires-president-trump-head
That was months after, and this happened on Twitter and so on. He was threatening not to send federal funds and all sorts of unnecessary stuff while they were going on. Literally as people were dying and losing their homes.

He had no similar words for all of the states with similar wildfire problems at the time. Just California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
That was months after, and this happened on Twitter and so on. He was threatening not to send federal funds and all sorts of unnecessary stuff while they were going on. Literally as people were dying and losing their homes.

He had no similar words for all of the states with similar wildfire problems at the time. Just California.
This is one of the few topics that I agree with Trump on. California has been setting their own citizens up for disaster for years. The state allows people to build in areas that are prone to wildfires while refusing to clear undergrowth and deadwood because it might mess up the ecosystem. The people who lost property and loved ones in the wildfires should be angry at the government which allowed those fires to happen, not at the POTUS who points out the stupidity of California’s policies.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This is one of the few topics that I agree with Trump on. California has been setting their own citizens up for disaster for years. The state allows people to build in areas that are prone to wildfires while refusing to clear undergrowth and deadwood because it might mess up the ecosystem. The people who lost property and loved ones in the wildfires should be angry at the government which allowed those fires to happen, not at the POTUS who points out the stupidity of California’s policies.
Timing is key, and he has not said anything similar to any of the other wildfire prone states. I think there were a dozen other states at least with wildfires last summer. It was one of the worst years ever here in Utah.

It would be more believable that it was about policy and not just going after CA if he had talked about the wildfire problem as a whole for the US, or phrased it differently, or all sorts of other issues with how he handled it.

Plus, California owns very little of the forest areas itself. It's almost half private and half federal. At least some of these fires were on federal land.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:26 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The cruelty is the point.
I figured as much. You can say "California has some issues it needs to deal with, and deal with quickly" without being a jerk. Saying "California is a disgrace" is called being a jerk. You can be honest without being brutish and ugly. Of course, I think some people like that Trump is being a jerk. I do not buy that "he tells it like it is" crap. He tells it the way some persons want to hear it. Indeed, the cruelty is the point. There are many people who hate California. President Trump calling California "a disgrace" spoke to how they felt.

I will close with this. I don't hate California. I don't like the way some things are done in California. However, I would not refer to the whole state as a disgrace. I feel like California has room for improvement. On that note, referring to a state as a "disgrace" isn't going to make things better. It isn't going to foster unity. It's just going to make things worse. I mentioned Louisiana in earlier posts. The state of Louisiana has alot of problems. I'm not going to call Louisiana a "disgrace". I am going to say that Louisiana has issues that need to be solved if it hopes to do better. One thing I have noticed is that very few people refer to Louisiana as a disgrace. This tells me that this is more about "we hate California" and not about solving any actual problems.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Timing is key, and he has not said anything similar to any of the other wildfire prone states. I think there were a dozen other states at least with wildfires last summer. It was one of the worst years ever here in Utah.

It would be more believable that it was about policy and not just going after CA if he had talked about the wildfire problem as a whole for the US, or phrased it differently, or all sorts of other issues with how he handled it.

Plus, California owns very little of the forest areas itself. It's almost half private and half federal. At least some of these fires were on federal land.
People don’t build houses on federal land, and nobody can claim that California is a lightly regulated state. Even on private land, you need permits and inspections to build a house. Their state land is poorly kept when it comes to fire prevention, so poorly that even California is now working to change it (good for them, btw).

Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
People don’t build houses on federal land, and nobody can claim that California is a lightly regulated state. Even on private land, you need permits and inspections to build a house. Their state land is poorly kept when it comes to fire prevention, so poorly that even California is now working to change it (good for them, btw).
The fires start and spread on federal land, reaching houses or other structures.

"The largest blaze in state history, the 410,200-acre Ranch Fire, this past summer burned on large swaths of land managed by the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management in Mendocino and nearby counties north of San Francisco."

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2...nd/1971196002/

And again.. why just California? Isn't it concerning to him that lots of other states have destructive wildfires every summer? Why aren't they chastised by him or even mentioned period?

Last edited by latimeria; 08-12-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
What of it?

Name one southern, Rust Belt, or Appalachia state that hasn't let coal or whatever other environmentally nasty industry run lose. Drinking water has been polluted, toxic waste fields littler the states, and so it goes.

California has the worlds fifth largest economy, surpassing even some nations such as Great Britain. Meanwhile many "flyover" states range from so poor they can't pay attention to extremely heavy reliance upon various direct or indirect federal government funding.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What of it?

Name one southern, Rust Belt, or Appalachia state that hasn't let coal or whatever other environmentally nasty industry run lose. Drinking water has been polluted, toxic waste fields littler the states, and so it goes.

California has the worlds fifth largest economy, surpassing even some nations such as Great Britain. Meanwhile many "flyover" states range from so poor they can't pay attention to extremely heavy reliance upon various direct or indirect federal government funding.
Good god, is this the only response you people know?

Yes, huge economy, but the state is in awful financial shape overall, so that brings that claim a little back closer down to earth.

California is by far #1 for poverty.....with an economy that huge. That's nice.

Say all you want but California is a beautiful state that's been ruined by Democrats.

The big cities especially.

My flyover red state is #1 for overall financial shape.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Even the leftwing NPR recognizes San Fran is a disgrace.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63462...nd-human-feces

The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit surveyed 153 blocks of the city in February, finding giant mounds of trash and food on the majority of streets. At least 100 discarded needles and more than 300 piles of human feces were also found in downtown San Francisco, according to the report.

'Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, Berkeley, told NBC Bay Area that dried feces can release dangerous viruses, such as rotavirus, which is the most common cause of diarrhea in infants and children worldwide. Getting pricked with discarded drug needles can also spread HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B, among other viruses, Riley said.

"The contamination [in San Fran] is ... much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India," says Riley, who researched health conditions caused by extreme poverty in some of the world's poorest regions.'
San Francisco is not "California".

Washington D.C. has had homelessness and the filth that goes with that for more than 50 years. Just blocks from the White House.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
President Trump was too nice when saying "disgrace".
The correct phrase is that California is a filthy, clogged, unflushed toilet to our country.

I haven't seen all of Taxifornia. But at least Los Angeles county is one expensive cesspool. I regret even wanting to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies