Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 04:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Public and private.

Why does a parent choose any school? I would assume based upon a multitude of factors. There are a lot of choices available. Why would a parent who wants their kid surrounded by highly vaccinated populations choose to send their kid to a school with a low vaccination rate when they have other choices, including their home school? Are they that entitled that every single school has to be a perfect fit for them?

I didn’t avoid your question. I don’t know what the medical waivers are for. I don’t know anything about the people who have them. How can I possibly answer that in any sort of honest or informed way?
The whole point is this:

1. SOME California schools have poor vaccination rates.

2. SOME California schools have medical waiver rates that FAR exceed what is normal or expected.

Most people can figure out why #2 has occurred since the personal/religious exemption was removed in 2016. You know too. You just refuse say. But, no worries the State of California will sort it out soon enough.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends how much of a quack one's doctor is. Take the "medical marijuana" industry in California before it was officially recognized for recreational use. That was some burnt out doctor doing five minute video conference evaluations. Basically the same thing those tour buses in Florida do for opioids. The state (generally a panel of doctors) is in a much better position to judge what is valid than a pill mill on the tour bus express route where the same patient gets ten prescriptions for Norco in a day and prescribed and filled on site on their "medical tourism" route. There's also, of course, legitimate pain clinics which treat people with chronic pain. Sure, they're both dealing with addicts with drug seeking behavior but that doesn't mean pill mills and legitimate pain clinics are the same.
Good points all.

The Doc in San Diego with all the waivers is a good example. I looked at the data kind of quick and dirty but observed a few things.

She gave waivers in the following years listed:

10 2015
48 2016
57 2017
22 2018
CA law excluding religious exemptions was in 2015, law regarding exemption monitoring pending but probably started getting traction 2017 - 2018.

Looks like she was just getting cranked up and then either publicity or Medical Board shut her down.

She charged for the exemption. Generally the exemption would be written gratis and as part of regular doctor / patient relationship.

Her practice is cash and carry, no insurance accepted. Very similar to your pill mills and pot docs.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:32 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
It only takes a small number of anti-vaxxers to have a large effect on the general population:

"The anti-vax movement is effectively reversing decades of progress in disease prevention"

California isn't "eroding" anything. It is taking action to strengthen the health and safety of its citizens, which is what we expect governments to do.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:33 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The whole point is this:

1. SOME California schools have poor vaccination rates.

2. SOME California schools have medical waiver rates that FAR exceed what is normal or expected.

Most people can figure out why #2 has occurred since the personal/religious exemption was removed in 2016. You know too. You just refuse say. But, no worries the State of California will sort it out soon enough.
Not to get too OT with California thread, but NY just eliminated their Religious Exemption. Difference with California? NY is a commuter state with mass transit between 3 other states who haven't eliminated their religious exemption. PA in addition still has a philosophical exemption as well. We have known many people who work in NYC, but do not live in NYS. They commute from those other states and their kids live in these other states. Is California in this kind of a situation? NJ's Religious Exemption elimination did not pass even having measles outbreaks there as well as in NY. A lot of people travel between NY and NJ on a daily basis. Ct. and Pa. didn't pass elimination of Religious exemption either. Politics. There is a bit of resentment among this states.

I've said on another post I have been getting calls from RE agents asking me if I am looking to sell my house. One said he has people from NY looking to move to my area. If they work in NYC, there is a commuter bus into Penn Station down the road by me. It's about a 3 hour ride but people do it, and not just to avoid vaccinating their kids. They make more $$$ in NY. People will do what they have to do for what is right for them.

There was a Federal Bill back in 2015 after California's to eliminate all vaccination exemptions nationwide, except medical, but that never got out of committee. I think Barbara Boxer sponsored that bill. Surprise! There is another proposed bill right now. What odds do you give it of passing? That is the ONLY way you are going to have mass state wide elimination of exemptions.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Syzy Q, you are WRONG about this.

https://thehill.com/homenews/437765-...-public-places

Old 09-11-2019, 05:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And my friend's child would have been at risk for hospitalization since her reason for not getting the child ONE VACCINE was that my friend had a horrible reaction to it and almost died. She didn't want to risk it.

I guess its more important to kill a kid than to let the parent make the medical decisions.
Just because the parent had a reaction does not mean her child was at risk

Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Doctors get investigated by the state all the time. They have to be licensed to practice. If they are giving out bogus exemptions they should get into trouble.
Where the state investigation of a doctor gets really bad: a person claims the doctor raped, sexually assaulted, or similar to that person. An investigation is made and the doctor loses their license. However, at some point the accuser admits to making the claims up. Even if the doctor somehow gets their license back, it is too late because that false claim ruined the doctor's career/reputation, especially if the doctor was wrongfully convicted.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Where the state investigation of a doctor gets really bad: a person claims the doctor raped, sexually assaulted, or similar to that person. An investigation is made and the doctor loses their license. However, at some point the accuser admits to making the claims up. Even if the doctor somehow gets their license back, it is too late because that false claim ruined the doctor's career/reputation, especially if the doctor was wrongfully convicted.
That is not what this thread is about.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Public and private.

Why does a parent choose any school? I would assume based upon a multitude of factors. There are a lot of choices available. Why would a parent who wants their kid surrounded by highly vaccinated populations choose to send their kid to a school with a low vaccination rate when they have other choices, including their home school? Are they that entitled that every single school has to be a perfect fit for them?

I didn’t avoid your question. I don’t know what the medical waivers are for. I don’t know anything about the people who have them. How can I possibly answer that in any sort of honest or informed way?
It is statistically improbable for that many kids in one school to have medical conditions justifying a waiver.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Your article was from April. This one is from July.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...st/1812940001/

"County Executive Ed Day will not renew the state of emergency order issued during Rockland's 10-month measles outbreak when it expires at midnight tonight, according to his office.

A state of emergency was first declared on March 25 and renewed three times. The original order banned all minors from public areas, but was halted by a judge in response to a lawsuit filed by parents of unvaccinated children with medical exemptions.

Day's subsequent orders have been scaled back to only ban unvaccinated and exposed persons from public spaces."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies