Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times

Advertisements

What po's me is that everyone loves to hate the Patriots.

Why can't we all accept that he is (to date) the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
What po's me is that everyone loves to hate the Patriots.

Why can't we all accept that he is (to date) the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?
everyone likes to take pop shots at the king of the hill

and usually in the sports genre,,,,,most dont like saying the best ever,,,til he is dead or at least retired,,,,,,,

but yessss !! brady is the lord of the rings,,,the best ever...hes won more football games than any other qb......

some like to count the two superbowls the pats didnt win against them,,,because joe montana went 4-0

well tb12 has gone to 6...thats right 6 superbowls...that means he had to win the division and the conference to get there....
and also...the superbowl is the holy grail of the nfl......tom brady made it possible that 53 team members and the whole coaching staff made it to the superbowl,,,,twice.... to at least have the opportunity to win,,,,,where as 30 teams (53 players on each team) did not) so even when they lost,,,the superbowls,,,they were there.... and had the chance for the holy grail
most football players never have that experience

dan marino never even got to a superbowl.....

patriots are a winning dynasty like no other....if you are the best,,,,everyone else is trying to spit on you....

think about it,,,,,,,,the average nfl career is 5-8 yrs? 8-10?? and their is the patriots and tom brady right at the top targets every year.....
when preseason....starts,,,its "how we going to beat the patriots" this year????????
they just won 6 straight conference championships.... no other nfl has ever done that

most nfl teams are like rollercoasters up and down...... the patriots are there every yr!!
they are a target because they are sooooo successful!!

its easier to take pop shots at the king of the hill than admit their own team might suck

Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

dan marino never even got to a superbowl.....

Um, yes he did! SB-XIX. Montana bested Dan 38-16. After that game I remember thinking that Marino is going to be in a handful more Super Bowls. Sadly it didn't happen.

I'm good with your other comments!

A little later I'm going to comment in the QB GOAT thread, a couple things here on Brady.

I've been singing the praises of NFL Films ever since I signed on to City Data. I especially like the sideline chatter that is shown. And there is plenty of it with Tom Brady. And in every 5 second clip one thing is always a constant. Brady is always walking back and forth either getting after the players if they are dogging it. And he also slaps players on the back and is giving credit to the O-line, his backs, and his receivers when they come off the field after they score.

It's called showing leadership.

Another thing that got my attention was in last years AFC Championship game. There was a story in the Monday Denver Post about C.J. Anderson talking about Brady. With all the hoopla after the game is over and the kajillion reporters running amock, the story talked about how Anderson was "blown away" about how Tom singled him out on the field and told him "I like the way you play, I like the way you run." And gave Anderson further encouragement. There are several online sources that talk about this meeting if you google in both players names.

That's what the great players do.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Is football going to have a "hat trick" to pursue every game now? A la Dion(sp) Lewis?? A first in history and a Patriot goes down for it.

I agree, the Pats were "rusty" after their bye week but we're more like themselves going into the 3rd. Isn't that when Lewis did his 136 (that's what I heard today) yard run back? I can't remember, so much happened the last half. LOL, did everyone read Belechick's lips about the time out??

Old 01-15-2017, 03:18 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
NFL ranks defenses on yards allowed so Houston WAS the number 1 defense in the NFL....

Why would I be "quoting a points statistic" when I made that point?

Houston WAS the best remaining defense the NFL and the Pats still hung up 34 even without playing great....not even understanding why you feel the need to argue a FACT on a Pats board?

Really doesn't matter if the other teams like KC have better offenses because they don't have a better defense than the Texans and if the Pats could put up 34 on Houston while playing poorly against a number 1 defense, what are they going to do to KC and Pitt who have worse defenses???

Pitt can hang with New England offensively but Pats have a better defense than Pitt

KC can't hang with New Englands offense and also has a worse defense than NE
To each there own, but if you ware going to compare ppg which I am assuming is what you were doing by pointing to 34 points scored I figured you might want to know that Houston's defense is statistically worse than Pittsburgh by a nose, and Kansas City and Dallas on a ppg basis. Yes Pats offense and defense is better than all those teams, that's why the Pats will be favored. Just pointing out that when it comes strictly to points given up, Houston is not in any way better than either one of the teams New England will face next week.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
To each there own, but if you ware going to compare ppg which I am assuming is what you were doing by pointing to 34 points scored I figured you might want to know that Houston's defense is statistically worse than Pittsburgh by a nose, and Kansas City and Dallas on a ppg basis. Yes Pats offense and defense is better than all those teams, that's why the Pats will be favored. Just pointing out that when it comes strictly to points given up, Houston is not in any way better than either one of the teams New England will face next week.
Houston was the number 1 defense in the NFL as listed by the NFL no where in my one line post did I reference points per game

Therefore my point, Pats put up 36 on THE BEST REMAINING DEFENSE remains true and factual and not open to discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 05:37 PM

On to Pittsburgh, good matchup for Pats historically and recently. Pats offense unlikely to play as badly again and Pittsburgh D isn't as good as Texans particularly on the back end. Smith couldn't take advantage of that secondary I trust Brady will

Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
This will be a good game.

Two things I am looking at:

1. Will either team clearly outperform the other on the ground? Bell has been amazing most the year and the postseason as well. But Pats D is not bad. And can the Patriots running game get going? We know they are capable but we just haven't seen that big breakout game yet.

2. Does Big Ben make crucial mistakes? He has a nack for throwing untimely picks. Will Pats capItalize off of them?

3. Have a feeling this one may come down to the kicking game. Either untimely missed kicks early in the game or a game tying or winning kick late.

That is all.

Okay a third. Will Pats score more than 27? Since the Steelers are a much worse defense than the #1 ranked Texans you would have to think they score at least 27 minimum.
Honestly I don't know. 50/50 they will probably. In fact that is probably a perfect over/under for the Pats. I'd say 27 or more and the Pats likely win. Less than 27 and it may point to a Steerles win.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM

Pats held Bell to 81 yards in Pittsburgh this season but that was with Landry at QB

Almost a given Pats D will focus on shutting down the running game and having Malcolm Butler line up against ABrown....Butler hasn't done too badly against him but I don't expect him to shut him down. At this point keeping Bell to 120 would be a good day

Ben hasn't looked like himself this season which explains the up and down Pittsburgh offense despite all the weapons....not scoring a single TD against KC?

Pittsburgh secondary is their weak spot, if the Pats can get Blount going that will open up play action for Brady to take some shots. Blount was sick all last week yet that was hardly mentioned during Texans game, I expect LG to much bigger part of the offense this game....he had over 120 in the first match up this year

Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Another note about the Patriots' win in the divisional round:

As a starting QB, Tom Brady has now won at least one postseason game in 12 different NFL (post)seasons. That's the most ever by a decent margin - Brett Favre did it 9 different times, while no one else has done it more than 7 times (if you're wondering - this year Ben Roethlisberger has done it for the 6th time in his career, Aaron Rodgers the 5th time in his).

Brady has also won at least two postseason games in 7 different NFL (post)seasons. If the Patriots win on Sunday, he'll raise that record to 8x. (Joe Montana, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning each did it 5 times)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football