Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Have you had your thyroid checked? Look up hypothyroidism - a friend of mine sounded just like you and discovered she needed a tweak with some thyroid meds. It worked.

This becomes more common in women over 60.

Hypothyroidism: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com
Yes, several times. But I have never been convinced that the weight gain isn't thyroid related.

I will ask my doc about more testing. I have found a new doc who is into a more integrative health approach.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you're prone to stones and craving a soft drink, I've heard that ginger ale is the best bet. To be honest, though, if hydration is a concern I'd skip the soft drinks altogether and stick to water and juice. Hard to do though, sometimes. Lemonade is your friend if you're prone to stones (supposedly the acid helps break them down so the stones never build up in the first place) although I'm not sure if it would help with your situation. We add lemon juice to lots of things, especially juice, and often make lemonade with very little or no sugar. Sour, yes, but you get used to it in time.
Yes! This is what I was told when I had the parotid problem in the past! I do put lemon in my water, but not all the time. Sometimes I drink bottled water.

I love lemonade and so does hubby. I can easily add that to my diet.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When I had a tiny kidney stone imbedded in kidney meat posing no problem and which I would have easily passed it had it been loose my urologist told me that a workable home preventative is to consume large amounts of lemon. He did not mention the kola nut or cola drinks nor did he mention any other sort of stone.

I had been drinking tomato juice and iced tea loaded with lemon juice as well as unsweetened lemonade for years.

Different sorts of stones have different compositions. For example, gall stones are comosed primarily of cholesterol. I required gall bladder surgery when I was 43 but my cholesterol level has never been over 130.

I do believe that I'm in the mood for some lemonade. I currently have some gigantic and juicy lemons, two of which will yield almost five ounces of juice. I'll add about ten ounces of water.
You are able to drink unsweetened lemonade? Maybe I should just put more lemon in every glass of water. I love the sugar, lolol. But I can do more lemon in water, without sugar. Especially if it is cold.

Lemon has many worthwhile properties.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,998,515 times
Dear Ani, don't despair. There is a reason for the weight problem and you will find it. I have struggled my latter years with weight, even though people say I look thin I know I'm not "underneath it all." I am tall, so I can disguise the extra weight.

Go to a good "integrative medicine" M.D. You will have to pay out of pocket b/c most do not accept Medicare. But just a couple of visits and tests will help determine any imbalances and natural remedies. Regular doctors and dieticians are not going to look for the imbalances, they don't know any of that and will just put you on a "diet."

Even those of us who take care of ourselves with conscious eating and lifestyle suffer problems like weight as we age. A lot of it is being more sedentary, like in my case. One 45 min walk in a day and I think I have done my part, lol. I should be getting much, much more exercise, which I abhor. Tried the gym and didn't last. Back to my mini trampoline, which is a no-impact workout best for me.

Somewhere on CD is a thread on weight gain of seniors - will try to resurrect it.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,998,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love lemonade and so does hubby. I can easily add that to my diet.
Without sugar or artificial sweetener. Use stevia or xylitol for natural sweeteners.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are able to drink unsweetened lemonade?
Believe it or not, you get used to it and even grow to like it. (Well.... tolerate it might be a better word choice. ) We often make it without sugar at all--just lemon juice and water. You can also add lemon segments to all sorts of salads and rice dishes. It's best if you cut it into tiny segments. Adds a nice little punch.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Ani--you might also want to consider growing your own lemon tree. They're actually pretty easy to grow, it's an attractive tree, and I think it makes it a little more fun when you're squeezing juice from fruit you grew yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Dear Ani, don't despair. There is a reason for the weight problem and you will find it. I have struggled my latter years with weight, even though people say I look thin I know I'm not "underneath it all." I am tall, so I can disguise the extra weight.

Go to a good "integrative medicine" M.D. You will have to pay out of pocket b/c most do not accept Medicare. But just a couple of visits and tests will help determine any imbalances and natural remedies. Regular doctors and dieticians are not going to look for the imbalances, they don't know any of that and will just put you on a "diet."

Even those of us who take care of ourselves with conscious eating and lifestyle suffer problems like weight as we age. A lot of it is being more sedentary, like in my case. One 45 min walk in a day and I think I have done my part, lol. I should be getting much, much more exercise, which I abhor. Tried the gym and didn't last. Back to my mini trampoline, which is a no-impact workout best for me.

Somewhere on CD is a thread on weight gain of seniors - will try to resurrect it.
Yes! I have found a new doc (actually, my son talked to him) and I am very excited about working with him.

And I am thinking about checking in with these folks. Massage therapy, yoga, acupuncture, etc -- all at one location. I have met a few of the practitioners and have been following their calendar and events - looking at what they offer - for several years.

Boone Healing Arts Center

Baby steps right now! The big thing is, I feel hopeful now that I can reclaim a sense of well-being while addressing health issues and my weight. And that's a very very good thing, lol.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Without sugar or artificial sweetener. Use stevia or xylitol for natural sweeteners.
I have tried stevia and just didn't like the taste. I haven't tried xylitol but I will!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Ani--you might also want to consider growing your own lemon tree. They're actually pretty easy to grow, it's an attractive tree, and I think it makes it a little more fun when you're squeezing juice from fruit you grew yourself.
I bought one in April, lol. But it is tiny. However, the instructions say that if I keep putting it in larger pots, over time, it will actually become a fruit-bearing tree! So we will see . . . worth a try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement