Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Labor Day weekend - Saturday cloudy here. But it's nice and cool for travel, yardwork, tag sale, or whatever. I'm off to see the grandtwins for half a day and I wish everyone safety on the roads and a great holiday weekend.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wish everyone safety on the roads and a great holiday weekend.
LOL--thanks for the nice wishes, and I hope you have safety on the roads, too. BTW, just a little light hearted FYI about the smileys. The is the "this is obviously BS smiley". You use it to show that you didn't really mean whatever you just said. So you would use it to say things like:

If you eat chocolate cake on Saturdays it has no calories.

or things like...
I intend to go for a 3 mile run this morning.

or even....
The man you saw me with last night was my husband.

and if you say that last one, the reply would be !

Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
I woke up thinking about an early morning walk around that neighborhood. It's hard to shake the idea once your imagination starts in. Will probably cancel that auto email with new listings. In the meantime the house I'm in is quite pleasurable and I'm looking forward to using the newly renovated upstairs room. Maybe as artists we just have a way of revisioning old houses with a lot of potential and charm.
Any possibility of buying it and renting it until you're ready?
Good RE advice is to buy the 'worst house' in a great neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL--thanks for the nice wishes, and I hope you have safety on the roads, too. BTW, just a little light hearted FYI about the smileys. The is the "this is obviously BS smiley". You use it to show that you didn't really mean whatever you just said. So you would use it to say things like:

If you eat chocolate cake on Saturdays it has no calories.

or things like...
I intend to go for a 3 mile run this morning.

or even....
The man you saw me with last night was my husband.

and if you say that last one, the reply would be !
i don't use the to be snarky, only to add a friendly touch to a post that could be taken as a criticism. Anyone who voices a strong opinion about something tends to get attacked as an attacker. As for your last sentence, the best reply would be

Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
i don't use the to be snarky, only to add a friendly touch to a post that could be taken as a criticism.
Gotcha... but just so ya know.... if your purpose is to soften something that might sound critical, the reality is using a will have the opposite effect. People use it when they want to say something that on the surface sounds mild but in fact is meant to be a little bitchy. Like people who say "Your outfit is attractive " usually intend the sentence to be read with a sarcastic tone, and are trying to say the outfit looks anything but attractive.

is always a good choice for the purpose you had in mind, and work pretty well, too, if you don't like the yellow smiley (although they usually indicate a joke or some sort of lighthearted remark has been told, which may not always be what you want to infer). Just an FYI.

Last edited by Caladium; 08-31-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Gotcha... but just so ya know.... if your purpose is to soften something that might sound critical, the reality is using a will have the opposite effect. People use it when they want to say something that on the surface sounds mild but in fact is meant to be a little bitchy. Like people who say "Your outfit is attractive " usually intend the sentence to be read with a sarcastic tone, and are trying to say the outfit looks anything but attractive.

is always a good choice for the purpose you had in mind, and work pretty well, too, if you don't like the yellow smiley (although they usually indicate a joke or some sort of lighthearted remark has been told, which may not always be what you want to infer). Just an FYI.
This is all your interpretation.
It's not how I use it.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default Emoticons

My personal preference is not to use emoticons at all. I believe my skills as a writer are sufficient to convey my mood and my thoughts using only English words. I find it especially interesting that even the emoticons themselves are subject to debate as to their interpretation. I suppose some of them are unambiguous enough as to defy all argument, such as the red-faced one with the frown meaning anger and the thumbs-up one with the smile meaning approval/agreement.

Oops! Edited to add: I do not mean to imply that those of you who use emoticons have poor English skills. Not at all. I think it's more of a personal preference. In my own case, I am usually slow to adopt new habits, so this fits right in. (See how easy it is to fall unthinkingly into saying something which will likely be misinterpreted? After all, we know what we were thinking!)

Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This is all your interpretation.
It's not how I use it.
Fair enough. I use to have the same sort of discussion with my mother in law about using quotes, and never convinced her. She had the same response, that different people learn punctuation differently. But when I heard her wondering why people didn't seem to understand what she meant, at least I knew I had tried.

She was fond of using quotes around a word when she meant to convey a special fondness. She never understood that many people interpret a word with quotes as being "not true."

So she would send cards to people saying things like

Be sure to say hello to your "wife."

or worse, Be sure to say hello to your "darling" wife.

We used to try to tell her that the first statement makes it sound like she doesn't think the lady is his wife, the second makes it sound like she doesn't think the lady is darling. But she never caught on, and then people would get annoyed with her, and she never knew why. I felt that at least I had tried. No biggie, really, and who knows maybe not everyone reads those emoticons that way. That's how I was taught, but that doesn't make it so. I'm sure there are plenty of things I say that don't come across as I intended. Just thought I would pass it along, if it's not considered helpful please feel free to disregard.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM

It's not funny...but it's "funny" (LOL) how your mom did that.
It must have made more than one person wonder what she thought of them

Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:

Uh oh. Sometimes I use the wink when I'm being snarky, but otherwise the wink is friendly. On a related topic (heheh, don't forget I have ADHD) I can't wink and I can't whistle. I have hypermobility so I can do some rather weird stuff, but I can't wink or whistle. What's up with that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement